Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifying Golf

Options
  • 20-04-2018 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭

Not all of us are blessed with Links courses and qualifying golf all year long. This winter must have been the worst on record for golf courses all over the
    country and as a result it is much later in the year in many places than usual before we see qualifying golf.

Played 9 holes in Greystones last night and still plenty of mud on the ball. Thie weekends first Medal of the year has been postponed and it will likely be another few weeks at least before qualifying golf comes in.

Castleknock on the other hand (haven't played it in a couple of months) seems to be shaping up nicely and yesterday introduced the start of full qualifying golf.

When is/was qualifying starting in your own club?

Comments

Balbriggan are back to qualifying golf tomorrow.

Think it is about 2 weeks later than last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Castlewarden still wasn't qualifying last weekend. Similar to Greystones, our first medal was postponed & moved out to the 28th April. If the weather stays like it is now, we might get back to just clean & place in the fairway by then (hoping it'll be that way this weekend, but think the warmer, drier weather is a little too late for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

We have a Medal this weekend. It will be interesting to see if it is Qualifying or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

We’ve had qualifying in Athy the last couple of weeks, open singles on this weekend for anyone that has the itch to get the handicap down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Since last week in Ardee.

Clean and place in fairway and local rule of drop from plugged lie in the rough.

Plenty of mud balls and bare areas from the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

As of yesterday Moate is clean & place fairway only and local rule of drop a plugged lie in the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

St Margarets planning to introduce qualifying for this weekend. It's April Medal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As of yesterday Moate is clean & place fairway only and local rule of drop a plugged lie in the rough.

Clean and place fairway only is qualifying. But dropping in the rough rules it out AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

Seve OB wrote: »
    Clean and place fairway only is qualifying. But dropping in the rough rules it out AFAIK

That’s correct once you can put your hand on the ball in the rough it’s non qualifying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Same rule with us ( local rule) and it was qualifying verified by golfnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

This is correct, the club can bring in a local rule on a short term basis to cope with plugged balls in the rough. See:

https://www.randa.org/Guidance-on-Running-a-Competition/Rules/3-Local-Rules/SubRules/6-Embedded-Ball

The competition would still be qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

This weekend for our 1st medal f the year at Corrstown but it could have even started earlier to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

we have our 2nd medal next weekend in Beaverstown. As of now we're still non qualifying but hoping the good stretch the last few days will have dried the course out enough to get back to qualifying.

We have it tough on the first 4 holes as its right down on the estuary in Donabate so we get a lot of moisture in the ground at the best of times. The rain from the winter has really kept the course soft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Supposed to start this weekend at St Margarets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Castlewarden still wasn't qualifying last weekend. Similar to Greystones, our first medal was postponed & moved out to the 28th April. If the weather stays like it is now, we might get back to just clean & place in the fairway by then (hoping it'll be that way this weekend, but think the warmer, drier weather is a little too late for it)
    Was still placing yesterday. Pro reckons we'll be up & running next week. To be honest i think we could have been qualifying yesterday. Didnt pick up any bad mud balls & ground felt firm enough under foot

I played Castleknock yesterday. It was mostly OK but still had a few mud balls. I was comfortably in the buffer, very close to a decent cut and possibly the win as I had 23 points through 10 but tiredness kicked in the back 9 and last few holes I just lost interest

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Our place was non-qualifying yesterday also. If we get a good week of weather there's a possibility of qualifying at the weekend. That might be a big if though! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Still non qualifying but massive improvement in the space of a week. Getting run on the fairways and very few mudballs in the rough. Abit of dry weather this week and hopefully placing will be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Was thinking should be good for qualifying golf this week after some good weather, then this morning is raining again. Becoming a joke by now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

We have been qualifying about a month now iirc it was a week later than it usually is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Yeah Athy has had qualifying a few weeks now placing on fairways. Also had 2 medals which I played in, badly might I add! but good to be playing Strokes again.. Makes the stableford comps seem easy..

benny79 wrote: »
    Yeah Athy has had qualifying a few weeks now placing on fairways. Also had 2 medals which I played in, badly might I add! but good to be playing Strokes again.. Makes the stableford comps seem easy..

i always try play strokes in my head, even if it is a points comp. IMO it does wonders for your game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Looking out the window a lot of clubs plans for qualifying this weekend will go the same way

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭thelostboys23

Kilkenny GC open singles tomorrow is supposed to be 1st qualifying of season. Lashing rain today so far so remains to be seen if still qualifying tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Its that aul wet raining that is falling today aswell, gona do courses no favours

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Its that aul wet raining that is falling today aswell, gona do courses no favours

Cobh re-opened despite earlier emails saying closed for day. Not that many will go out I assume, but I hope it's a good sign for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Full Summer rules now as of today. Here's to a .1 back tomorrow

frink wrote: »
    Full Summer rules now as of today. Here's to a .1 back tomorrow

and what a day for it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Was qualifying in our place last weekend. Was a disgrace tbh.
    Mud balls on almost every hole and not able to clean balls in rough.
    Had at least 4 good approach shots from barely off the fairway miss the green by 5+ yards due to mud balls. Very frustrating when you hit a good shot and it just takes off on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Advertisement