Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urea or CAN

• 20-04-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭

Is it gone too late in the year for Urea?
    Is CAN a better option from now on?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It depends on weather as opposed to time of year. Have spread urea in july and it workwd fine plenty moisture to take in urea. If too warm some can be lost to the atmosphere but

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,132 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Go for a walk in the early morning. At some stage kneel gown to say your prayers. If your knees get wet it is still urea weather

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A cover of grass helps urea too this time of year as opposed to bare ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Go for a walk in the early morning. At some stage kneel gown to say your prayers. If your knees get wet it is still urea weather

What do you think of when you kneel to pray?

The pain in your knees:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

How does an atheist know if its still urea weathet??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Urea is the job for these conditions. So many old wives tales about it. If you've any moisture in the ground or in the air (which is most of the time) it works a treat. It is also the most competitive priced N available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Lads ive spread approx 2.5 gal of slurry and 3 bags of 27 2.5 5 per acre what does this add up to ?? Thanks in advance lab man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Slurry can depending what's in it and timing 're how much in is in it but I'd say you'd be safe to cut in 45 days from when it got it

lab man wrote: »
    Lads ive spread approx 2.5 gal of slurry and 3 bags of 27 2.5 5 per acre what does this add up to ?? Thanks in advance lab man

Was it spread with a dribble bar/trailing shoe or splash plate. Splash plate about 4-6 units/1k gallons, DB/TS about 8-10 units/1K gallons. with a splash plate you have put out about 90-95 units of N with a DB/TS you have put out 100-105 units of N. 45-52 days will be safe to cut.

Slava Ukrainii

Was it spread with a dribble bar/trailing shoe or splash plate. Splash plate about 4-6 units/1k gallons, DB/TS about 8-10 units/1K gallons. with a splash plate you have put out about 90-95 units of N with a DB/TS you have put out 100-105 units of N. 45-52 days will be safe to cut.

Splash plate, bass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I think it's too dry for urea today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »
    I think it's too dry for urea today....

What are you smoking??

lab man wrote: »
    Splash plate, bass

You have spread about 90-95 units of N so 47 days from spreading approx to cutting so end of first week in June. If growth is very strong it will bring it back a few day but not looking taht way at present.

Slava Ukrainii

You have spread about 90-95 units of N so 47 days from spreading approx to cutting so end of first week in June. If growth is very strong it will bring it back a few day but not looking taht way at present.

Thanks bass I am hoping for June 10 or so ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You couls ted it a few times and that takes the n out of the grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

You couls ted it a few times and that takes the n out of the grass

Did that last yr and wasnt overly happy with the silage. Not too many bales. Lovely wilted leafy grass but a tinge of black to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Did that last yr and wasnt overly happy with the silage. Not too many bales. Lovely wilted leafy grass but a tinge of black to it.

Pure leaf silage needs a bit of roughage so they can chew the cud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was the black protein?

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was the black protein?

Not 100% sure. I tested it and was 18% protien or around that. It used to heat like **** in the bale once opened also. In fairness there was feck all waste either as they ploughed through those bales. I froze a sample and brought it into Teagasc for testing. Was told it needed another week or so before cutting. Sure i knew better!! Cut and haybob to scatter, lely to ted and haybob to row and was knocked 48hours before wrapped. It was end of may when we got excellent weather last yr.

Not 100% sure. I tested it and was 18% protien or around that. It used to heat like **** in the bale once opened also. In fairness there was feck all waste either as they ploughed through those bales. I froze a sample and brought it into Teagasc for testing. Was told it needed another week or so before cutting. Sure i knew better!! Cut and haybob to scatter, lely to ted and haybob to row and was knocked 48hours before wrapped. It was end of may when we got excellent weather last yr.

Soinds like it got a great chance to wilt. Wasn't like the baler was following the mower

• Advertisement

Soinds like it got a great chance to wilt. Wasn't like the baler was following the mower

Got every chance but i guess the extra N in the grass didnt let the bales ferment as good as it should have. It was pallatable as i gave them a bale from the hay fields i wrapped the first row of with 24 hour wilt and no N left and they preferred the early stuff.

Got every chance but i guess the extra N in the grass didnt let the bales ferment as good as it should have. It was pallatable as i gave them a bale from the hay fields i wrapped the first row of with 24 hour wilt and no N left and they preferred the early stuff.

I thought tedding out helps to remove 10 units of N per 24 hours or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

If I spread a bag and a half of urea an acre on the 14 th of April, when could I bale? Could go into pit either

visatorro wrote: »
    If I spread a bag and a half of urea an acre on the 14 th of April, when could I bale? Could go into pit either

About about 40 days but you may have to allow for residual N from early spreading but more importantly for the N to be available about 4-5 days. This could be an issue this year as N spread earler may be still in the roots of plants. 2 unit of N/Day is what is usually used but this is dependent on a fairy good sward if it is really old grass you may onlt be using 1.8 units/day or less

Slava Ukrainii

I thought tedding out helps to remove 10 units of N per 24 hours or something like that

Thats what they say alright. I will be listening to what im told this yr.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

About about 40 days but you may have to allow for residual N from early spreading but more importantly for the N to be available about 4-5 days. This could be an issue this year as N spread earler may be still in the roots of plants. 2 unit of N/Day is what is usually used but this is dependent on a fairy good sward if it is really old grass you may onlt be using 1.8 units/day or less
    I put out 82.5 units on April 13th on old meadow aiming to cut May 25th, should that now be 29th?

I put out 82.5 units on April 13th on old meadow aiming to cut May 25th, should that now be 29th?

It depends on form of N if in urea form it takes 5 day to be available, can is in 24-48 hours. Old pasture will not use N as fast as new swards or Italian ryegrass. If in Urea form it was available on the 18th so 41 days is 29th but can would be 3-4 days earlier. However it is all dependent on growth rate

I do not get caught up on exact cutting date. you can go 2-3 days early real issue is when you are trying to cut a 7-10 days early. If you are unsure go into teagasc with a grass sample and get it checked they can test and give a fairly accurate reading 7-10 days before cutting date. In general I watch for a good cutting window around the date N is used up and go then. If I have to go a few days early I will but if I have to wait a week I will as well. i want dry well preserved silage not a heap of wet bales.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It depends on form of N if in urea form it takes 5 day to be available, can is in 24-48 hours. Old pasture will not use N as fast as new swards or Italian ryegrass. If in Urea form it was available on the 18th so 41 days is 29th but can would be 3-4 days earlier. However it is all dependent on growth rate

I do not get caught up on exact cutting date. you can go 2-3 days early real issue is when you are trying to cut a 7-10 days early. If you are unsure go into teagasc with a grass sample and get it checked they can test and give a fairly accurate reading 7-10 days before cutting date. In general I watch for a good cutting window around the date N is used up and go then. If I have to go a few days early I will but if I have to wait a week I will as well. i want dry well preserved silage not a heap of wet bales.
    Used 18.6.12 & Net

Advertisement