Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ballybrophy to Limerick Junction line.

• 20-04-2018 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I travelled by train from Ballybrophy to Cloughjordan today. I asked the conductor for his opinion on whether the line was likely to be closed. He said not likely because there has been major refurbishment work taking place recently and that in any case they have been talking about closing the line for all of the 35 years he had been a conductor.

However I noticed that there seemed no ticket machines on intermediate stations on that route. Is this to save the conductor's job? Or is it more likely an indication of likely closure of the line?

There was about 10 passengers on this 10.05 departure from Ballbrophy. I suppose being a Friday might make it busier, but is this a typical loading for this line? I don't know if these low passenger numbers can sustain the costs or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Conductor should issue tickets on board and most stations are staffed. TMVs are not cheap and you couldn't justify them on the route when there are much busier stations without them.

It will probally not close but the track works are needed to keep the line running rather than a sing of the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

How much does someone get for working a level crossing on that line? Are they full time employees, or just part timers (I'm assuming full time, as that train can be delayed for hours sometimes, so they would need to be on call for that)? From Castleconnel to join the main line (about 1km) there's 3 including an "automatic" gate crossing the old N7 (where I've seen a crossing guard working the controls - so I'm assuming it's only automatic in so far as the gates are operated from those controls). Not to be putting anyone out of a job, but I don't see how automatic level crossings couldn't pay for themselves in a year or two (unless the crossing guys are volunteers :/ )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

The conductor told me that the level crossing operators were full time employees but that they had other duties maintaining the line as well. But if there is no investment in automatic barriers on this line I can't say that is a very good sign of the line being kept open.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    The conductor told me that the level crossing operators were full time employees but that they had other duties maintaining the line as well. But if there is no investment in automatic barriers on this line I can't say that is a very good sign of the line being kept open.

Automatic barriers cannot happen without a full signalling of the line and each crossings costs approx 1 million to upgrade + possibly 2-3 full time staff to control/operate all automatic crossings.

Manual crossing staff range from 25-32k over 10 years so its probally costing typically up to 90 euro per day per crossing.
    I live within 500 metres of a station on this line and I work within 500 metres of Portlaoise. I am a massive train fan and I happily take the bus to work aswell as driving. The ballybrophy train is unusable. The timetable is terrible. Change the timetable and I would be on the train ten times a week.

The powers the be want it closed

Change the timetable you will add significant costs which will unlikely be recovered with extra passenger revenue so its difficult to balance both.

I think the line is just geared up for people going shopping in Limerick.

But I also noticed that there is a 6 Euro day return ticket from stations on that line to Limerick.

Hardly going to recoup much money in fares at those rates!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

This line has great potential with villages and towns like Cloughjordan (Home of the eco village), Nenagh (roughly 10k people), Birdhill (just off the M7) and Castleconnell (Limerick commuter village) all served. If they timed the services better and improved speeds, there’s no reason it couldn’t be moderately successful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Deedsie wrote: »
    Nenagh to Limerick is the worst part of the line. An x12 bus (traffic depending) will have you In Colbert station in 35 minutes.. the train would take an hour. It's that **** and slow.

Its the traffic that is the unpredictable variable. Money should be invested in improving the train service, but unfortunately, there are those who would take umbrage at that, on the basis that investing in the railways seemingly leaves less money to pay landowners for motorway CPOs, or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Conductor should issue tickets on board and most stations are staffed. TMVs are not cheap and you couldn't justify them on the route when there are much busier stations without them.

It will probally not close but the track works are needed to keep the line running rather than a sing of the future.

It's seems very inefficient to have tiny stations with little or no passengers staffed. The staff should be redeployed in other areas where more staff are needed. If this line was in the UK it would probably be request stop. Another option would be to sell tickets in local newsagents or Spar/Centra type shops near the station.

If the line was to close it would probably end up like the South Wexford line and still be maintained by IE, with track inspections and annual sperry and weedsprayer movements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

This line has great potential if they only upgraded the timetables a little bit.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's seems very inefficient to have tiny stations with little or no passengers staffed. The staff should be redeployed in other areas where more staff are needed. If this line was in the UK it would probably be request stop. Another option would be to sell tickets in local newsagents or Spar/Centra type shops near the station.

If the line was to close it would probably end up like the South Wexford line and still be maintained by IE, with track inspections and annual sperry and weedsprayer movements.

Stations are staffed because they are signalers for each section on the line. There is no way to get rid of them until signalling is re-done and transferred to CTC in Connolly.

Not easy fix for the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Nomis21 wrote: »
    ...However, I noticed that there seemed no ticket machines on intermediate stations on that route. Is this to save the conductor's job? Or is it more likely an indication of likely closure of the line?
    How is the presence or absence of ticket machines to affect a conductor's job, if he's the one who must check a valid ticket either way?

And that begs the question as to whether or not a ticket machine exists to save the job of the ticket machine maintenance person and the jobs of those that build such machines and make the parts for them. Not to mention the possible existence of the job of a station's ticket agent.

MGWR wrote: »
    How is the presence or absence of ticket machines to affect a conductor's job, if he's the one who must check a valid ticket either way?

And that begs the question as to whether or not a ticket machine exists to save the job of the ticket machine maintenance person and the jobs of those that build such machines and make the parts for them. Not to mention the possible existence of the job of a station's ticket agent.

There is a full time conductor who issues tickets on this line. If there were ticket machines at all the stations then only random ticket inspections would be required. Ticket machine maintenance crews already cover the whole IE network.

To me, a lack of a ticket machine at an unmanned train station suggests IE are keeping their options open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Stations are staffed because they are signalers for each section on the line.

Only Roscrea and Birdhill have signal cabins.

The train runs so slowly that even if ten times as many passengers used this line, the conductor/guard would have enough time to issue tickets to all of them. Putting ticket vending machines into quiet stations would be a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

tabbey wrote: »
    Only Roscrea and Birdhill have signal cabins.

The train runs so slowly that even if ten times as many passengers used this line, the conductor/guard would have enough time to issue tickets to all of them. Putting ticket vending machines into quiet stations would be a waste of money.

Surprised that CIE haven't thought of this - no doubt they will get to it a week or so before complete closure.

Advertisement