Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Studies at TCD for an American Student

• 20-04-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello!
    I'm going to be studying European Studies at tcd fall 2018. I'm an American student who has not been taught a whole lot about the history/politics of Europe and I am worried I will start off quite behind in the modules. Does anyone have any insight into this major and how screwed I am? I chose it because I really enjoy learning languages and wanted a major that could open up a wide range of career opportunities. BTW Spanish will be my major language and Italian will be my minor if anyone has any helpful information regarding those language departments. 
    Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Don't worry Irish people don't know anything about European history either.

That's just a joke but in some ways it's not. As in a lot of the material will be different or more detailed then what they covered in History in secondary school, I'm sure there will be a lot crossover too. But after first-year crossover will probably be less and less if there even is any. I didn't do Leaving Cert History. However, lots of college courses, particularly introductory first-year modules often go with the perspective that people are coming from all different backgrounds so they have to get people to a base level to be ready for the later years of your degree. Also in first year particularly your lectures will be full of people from other degrees that have some crossover with your degree, where after first-year people narrow down to modules more relevant to their degree or the track they are taking. Also Spanish and Italian are less popular languages in Ireland for people to study so you may find you're ahead of people. Most people will be doing French with your degree I'd say.

If you do feel like your struggling, talk to your Tutor, S2S Mentor, or contact S2S for a peer supporter. Also, you can get tutoring privately but you have pay for that, people advertise on the college notice boards. The main thing to do is to go to your TA's and Lecturer's office hours, they are free grinds(The word irish people use for tutoring) basically. Lastly Trinity has a service called Student Learning Development and they provide support around academic reading, writing, study and exam skills etc. Also, there is a Student Counselling service and Health Centre. Also if you are struggling in any way it's important to tell someone and access the relevant service. A lecturer can't give you an extension if they don't know you need it.

I don't know what your general knowledge level is or what modules you're going to choose but I would suggest looking up Brexit and The Great Recession. As they are relevant to now and will come up again and again. It depends on what your base knowledge is like but if you don't know that there even is a European Union I would google that. Even just read their Wikipedia pages.

You'll cover this in class but if your interested look up the EU and how its structured, as in the differences between the Europen Council, Parliment, Commission, Court of justice, EMU etc. However, you will do all that in class at some point and most Irish students will be lacking in this area as well. It would be a fun game to get your class to even just list the countries in the EU. I don't think I would even be able to do it lol. And I have an EU law exam next week!

I once had an Irish classmate in my Politics class who didn't know what the Berlin Wall was. Why someone who choose politics at university level and not know what the Berlin Wall is, is beyond me, but anyway.

If your really worried you could go on the TCD website and look up your module outlines. And look to the topics covered and google them. Also, they will have reading lists. Maybe pick out some core texts for some summer reading.

Though what I would suggest is to enjoy your summer and get excited about starting college in September. You'll be studying, doing assignments and dealing with all the stresses of college life for the next four years so enjoy your freedom while you can. Trinity has a ridiculous amount of US students so you won't be alone.

Advertisement