Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colm and Lucy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

Kamili wrote: »
    I don't think thats the same person, that presenter was on an evening slot..

Really enjoyed her shows though

https://www.thejournal.ie/radio-nova-unfair-dismissal-2-3839965-Feb2018/

Yeah, I used to enjoy her shows in the evenings. Back before the rot really started to set in at the station.

Yeah, she's a different presenter to Joan Lea. Lea disappeared overnight, no reason was ever given as to why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Think she won an unfair dismissal case against nova?

Wouldn't be the only unfair dismissal case kkkkkkkevin has had to face in Nova towers in fairness. Says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Homer wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the only unfair dismissal case kkkkkkkevin has had to face in Nova towers in fairness. Says a lot.

He's a business man, all be it a bad one it transpires, so no real surprises as regards the running of the station...and the "letting go" of staff...

He's a business man, all be it a bad one it transpires, so no real surprises as regards the running of the station...and the "letting go" of staff...

They could have done so much more with Conor Irwin for a start. On his own, he was actually a decent DJ who appeared to know his stuff and had a genuine interest in the music he played. He should have been given a decent weekday slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Tuned in this morning, he was talking about the 10 most annoying people you will meet this Christmas, and I thought "this is very unimaginative" .... I didn't hear the start of the item, but now I realise that this very unimaginative item is a very unimaginative article in the Indo today.

Elmo wrote: »
    Tuned in this morning, he was talking about the 10 most annoying people you will meet this Christmas, and I thought "this is very unimaginative" .... I didn't hear the start of the item, but now I realise that this very unimaginative item is a very unimaginative article in the Indo today.

Was he on the list?

Kyle More wrote: »
    Was he on the list?

Clearly not.....which is odd...No 1 for me...:)

Perhaps a poll.."Whos the most annoying presenter on radio"

...on a breakfast show...

..on nova...

:D

Clearly not.....which is odd...No 1 for me...:)

Perhaps a poll.."Whos the most annoying presenter on radio"

Get that poll on the go, Max :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

They could have done so much more with Conor Irwin for a start. On his own, he was actually a decent DJ who appeared to know his stuff and had a genuine interest in the music he played. He should have been given a decent weekday slot.
    I agree about Conor Irwin. Had they kept the weekend sport show, he would have been a great presenter for it.

Get that poll on the go, Max :D

No point mate..he feeds off attention...he's an ego piranah. ....but looks like a blowfish....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just discovered this thread and am glad I'm not the only one who thinks the show is awful. Colm Hayes reminds me of every annoying work colleague that thinks they're hilarious and won't shut up. I get the impression that Lucy doesn't have a clue about half the music that is played.

Whenever there is an ad for the show on the weekend, they usually include a 'hilarious' snippet from that week. Every time I hear it, I think "is THAT the funniest thing you could find???".

Just discovered this thread and am glad I'm not the only one who thinks the show is awful. Colm Hayes reminds me of every annoying work colleague that thinks they're hilarious and won't shut up. I get the impression that Lucy doesn't have a clue about half the music that is played.

Whenever there is an ad for the show on the weekend, they usually include a 'hilarious' snippet from that week. Every time I hear it, I think "is THAT the funniest thing you could find???".

You should also check out the 'radio nova' thread, there are some interesting posts on there too. But It's pretty much a unanimous consensus amongst posters on both threads that the Colm & Lucy Breakfast Show is absolute rubbish.

Neither of them are authentic rock jocks. Lucy is a television presenter who has no interest in rock music (even the 'middle of the road' pop rock that Nova currently peddles), let alone know anything about it. As regards Hayes, I think you summed up his character quite accurately in your post.

Don't get me started on those snippets. I was trying to listen to Pat Courtenay this evening and one such snippet was played during the ad break. I turned the volume down until the ad was over, but I think they were talking about Colm's persistent flatulence in the office, or something of that nature. Absolute crap!

Fart jokes on the radio. ..always funny.....:rolleyes:
    Cant decide if he's an embarrassment to the station..or the station is an embarrassment to the airwaves....I'm veering towards the latter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Cant decide if he's an embarrassment to the station..or the station is an embarrassment to the airwaves....I'm veering towards the latter...

I was just coming on to post about that.. sounds so scripted and totally unfunny.

He probably just blames his Egg McMuffin powered farts on Brannigan anyway, and Brannigan just meekly accepts responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

He probably just blames his Egg McMuffin powered farts on Brannigan anyway, and Brannigan just meekly accepts responsibility.

AHH now I get it, the dog he's blaming in the joke is actually Brannigan.

Still not funny

Kamili wrote: »
    AHH now I get it, the dog he's blaming in the joke is actually Brannigan.

Still not funny

I think:

The dog is Brannigan and the fart is the station as a whole. So Hayes farts, but Brannigan gets the blame and Hayes continues to fart away with impunity while everyone else suffers and Brannigan does nothing about it.

A bad joke indeed, but perhaps unintentionally self-deprecating? As it metaphorically describes the current state of the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

The sad part is that dunce and all that he is, Branigan actually had a decent station going and ratings doing well till he decided to hire colon & loosey.. now it’s a sh1tshow and they are desperately scrambling to delete all the negative comments daily about the station. Pity

Homer wrote: »
    The sad part is that dunce and all that he is, Branigan actually had a decent station going and ratings doing well till he decided to hire colon & loosey.. now it’s a sh1tshow and they are desperately scrambling to delete all the negative comments daily about the station. Pity

That's true. Granted, the watering down process was already under way before Hayes and Kennedy arrived. But hiring them and giving them the flagship show was the proverbial death blow to the remnants of credibility that the station still possessed. Yesterday on the show, they were talking about Victoria Beckham's clothing line and how it's not doing well financially. Who CARES? Play some damn music, good music please. Morning Glory, with all its faults, never would have stooped to talking about such uninteresting rubbish.

You mean like this...guess which one is Kev....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83XvWn1kV8

You mean like this...guess which one is Kev....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83XvWn1kV8

Oh I could hazard a guess :D I feel Kevin's, sorry, Meg's pain.

Oh I could hazard a guess :D I feel Kevin's, sorry, Meg's pain.

.."Hey Colm ,sorry Sir..will you need me today....."

..or maybe Loosey is the "dog".....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

This forum is quite reflective of the very programme it decries so readily. It's bursting with detritus trying to outdo one another in making derogatory comments, recently based on flatulence, about two people who work, albeit ineffectively or without a semblence of grace or talent, on an unimportant radio programme. That's from what I read here and from what I hear intermittenly by having to work in an office where it is sometimes on. Its entertaining to see how far some people will stretch the bounds of taste and credibility in a bid to rubbish others. From its inception 'radio nova' has offended. Its piggybacked on a great name from a great time in Irish radio and besmirched it with third-raters ramming a fine heritage brand into the gutter. However its just a wee station on the outskirts of the broader scene. Its failed in ten years to make so much as a dinge in the overall market and hiring Hayes was its desperate bid to survive, just as a football club might turn desperately to Big Sam Allardyce to beat the drop. Hayes and Big Sam. Brothers in arms. Both big, fat, greedy and devoid of so-much as a semblence of decency or class.

• Advertisement

Joanne McNally was on the other day, anyone hear her?

Is she a new presenter...?...nothing would surprise...

Is she a new presenter...?...nothing would surprise...

She's a comedienne.

This forum is quite reflective of the very programme it decries so readily. It's bursting with detritus trying to outdo one another in making derogatory comments, recently based on flatulence, about two people who work, albeit ineffectively or without a semblence of grace or talent, on an unimportant radio programme. That's from what I read here and from what I hear intermittenly by having to work in an office where it is sometimes on. Its entertaining to see how far some people will stretch the bounds of taste and credibility in a bid to rubbish others. From its inception 'radio nova' has offended. Its piggybacked on a great name from a great time in Irish radio and besmirched it with third-raters ramming a fine heritage brand into the gutter. However its just a wee station on the outskirts of the broader scene. Its failed in ten years to make so much as a dinge in the overall market and hiring Hayes was its desperate bid to survive, just as a football club might turn desperately to Big Sam Allardyce to beat the drop. Hayes and Big Sam. Brothers in arms. Both big, fat, greedy and devoid of so-much as a semblence of decency or class.

Interesting comparison. Or how winners of the X-Factor rely on collaborations with legitimate big names - Ed Sheeran, Arthur James etc, because they won't do well on their own now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Hard to not hear that wan. Nasally voice like a fog horn that would shatter windows from 1/2 a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

She's a comedienne.

Whoa there neddy.

That's a bit like calling Nova a rock station................;)

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Whoa there neddy.

That's a bit like calling Nova a rock station................;)

Strange that Kev called them a "guitar based" station...but after 7pm it definitely morphs into a proper "rock" station..care to explain Kev...:confused:..its like the parents are gone out for the night...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Jay Zee

I believe Colm hayes is a broadcasting giant of the Dublin airwaves but I think Brannigan should have assigned him to 4fm not Nova... Nova should just play rock music like it's licenced to do.

Jay Zee wrote: »
    I believe Colm hayes is a broadcasting dinosaur of the Dublin airwaves but I think Brannigan should have assigned him to 4fm not Nova... Nova should just play rock music like it's licenced to do.

fixed that for ye there....:D

I reckon if the station was to go national, it would coincide with a takeover by Virgin. Bye bye, Nova, hello Virgin Radio Ireland. It's mostly a rock station in name only these days. Its transition to a full on mainstream station would barely be noticeable from the perspective of musical content.

That's a very good reason as to why I don't want it to go national.

:eek:..are they still going..??......:rolleyes:

:eek:..are they still going..??......:rolleyes:

They sure are, I'm afraid. I forgot I'd left the radio switched to Nova in the car, having not had to put up with them over the Christmas. This morning we were treated to Hayes gushing over David Bowie and how he's basically his biggest fan. He even mentioned that he used to ask potential child minders if they were fans of Bowie before he would consider hiring them. Bowie is certainly an artist whom Nova should feature and discuss, so fair enough. But, guess what, Hayes couldn't tell Rebecca Horan Bowie's real name when she asked him. I mean, I get that he knows little about rock music, but if you're going to pretend to be a big fan of somebody, at least know your basic facts about them. And Colm, it's David Robert Jones ;)

They sure are, I'm afraid. I forgot I'd left the radio switched to Nova in the car, having not had to put up with them over the Christmas. This morning we were treated to Hayes gushing over David Bowie and how he's basically his biggest fan. He even mentioned that he used to ask potential child minders if they were fans of Bowie before he would consider hiring them. Bowie is certainly an artist whom Nova should feature and discuss, so fair enough. But, guess what, Hayes couldn't tell Rebecca Horan Bowie's real name when she asked him. I mean, I get that he knows little about rock music, but if you're going to pretend to be a big fan of somebody, at least know your basic facts about them. And Colm, it's David Robert Jones ;)
    Is she the same girl with the fake American accent on 98fm who says "on ninedy eighd fm dod cawm today" just before ad breaks? Is she freelance or something?

Is she the same girl with the fake American accent on 98fm who says "on ninedy eighd fm dod cawm today" just before ad breaks? Is she freelance or something?

I'm not sure if it's the same person, Steve. But I know that Horan has had stints with a few Dublin based stations over the past decade, including 98FM. However, as far as I'm aware her only radio work at the moment is with Nova (but I could be wrong).

Havent heard it but i think the "go-to" person for the fake accent is still Carol Dooley....

Two words that should be investigated..."Hayes and Child-minders"....sounds creepy....hidden cameras anyone...:P

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if it's the same person, Steve. But I know that Horan has had stints with a few Dublin based stations over the past decade, including 98FM. However, as far as I'm aware her only radio work at the moment is with Nova (but I could be wrong).
    Well it's definitely Rebecca something.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Dub Ste

Geniune question.....

How many listeners do you think Nova have lost because of these two?

I'm out, mainly because of a little spat with Morty, and then these two were just too much to take.

How many people actually listen to another station until 10, then retune to Nova?
    I know in our office we listen to other stations now as we can't be arsed faffing about changing channels, then changing back.

For me, daytime Nova was getting very wishy washy, the playlists were getting very bland and then they throw The Gruesome Twosome at us.

It's a shame really, cos Nova had so much potential, but now is just very A N Other station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hard to put an exact figure on it but I used to have it on pretty much all day in car, so if i jumped in to go somewhere it was always the default station that would come on. Since they came I hardly listen anymore. Probably more so at the weekends but then they have the 'best bits show' so not even safe then either.
    It doesn't help that they constantly promote the show so even when you purposely avoid it but want to listen to another show you're still reminded of how sh!t and annoying they are.

The Krankies in the morning are a no go...i'd rather listen to the sound of my diesel....:)....after that i'm in and out depending where the WiFi is.....:P

Ive actually given up on Nova completely,not listened to the station since early December.I listen to Virgin Radio now all the time and if I want Irish news and weather I switch over to Newstalk!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Ive actually given up on Nova completely,not listened to the station since early December.I listen to Virgin Radio now all the time and if I want Irish news and weather I switch over to Newstalk!

I am listening to Tony Ainscough right now. A far cry from C&L!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Geniune question.....

How many listeners do you think Nova have lost because of these two?

I'm out, mainly because of a little spat with Morty, and then these two were just too much to take.

How many people actually listen to another station until 10, then retune to Nova?
    I know in our office we listen to other stations now as we can't be arsed faffing about changing channels, then changing back.

For me, daytime Nova was getting very wishy washy, the playlists were getting very bland and then they throw The Gruesome Twosome at us.

It's a shame really, cos Nova had so much potential, but now is just very A N Other station.

If you believe in something it will work out eventually and I think nova believed in itself and had a great product and it was station for its listeners. Somebody must have advised them to change markets to gain market share and it has probably backfired seeing they kept the brekkie jnlrs fairly quiet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

If you believe in something it will work out eventually and I think nova believed in itself and had a great product and it was station for its listeners. Somebody must have advised them to change markets to gain market share and it has probably backfired seeing they kept the brekkie jnlrs fairly quiet....

I had a conversation with someone at the station a few months back.

Apparently some market research team was brought in who advised them to dump the "classic rock" theme (if it ever was) and focus on late 30-somethings who raved at EP ten years ago but are now "en famille" and marooned at work/home.

Apparently some market research team was brought in who advised them to dump the "classic rock" theme (if it ever was) and focus on late 30-somethings who raved at EP ten years ago but are now "en famille" and marooned at work/home.
    I think you might have mentioned this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

they could have actually taken that research and made minor commercial tweaks and made a decent competing station, but they did it arseways :)....colm bleedin hayes..

Advertisement