Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNIMOG as a campervan project

Options
  • 20-04-2018 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

I did a campervan build few years back based on a VW T4
    circumstances changed much water under the bridge...but I'm back & hankering after another build to eventually use for festivals & continental holidays for next 20 years or so

for the last year tho I've been dreaming about going a little bit further this time & get into larger machinery, more an expedition truck than campervan I guess

I'd love to have a go at finding a mog...maybe something like an ex-ESB U140L with a crewcab and custom weld/build on an accommodation cell on the chassis

I know there'd be limitations, not expecting to visit the carpark @Dundrum in it or anything :)

I have a few questions though even on the basics like how the vehicle would be classified for VRT, is it agri or a commercial truck, pitfalls I should be clear about I guess

anyone on here ever built a unimog camper (or something similar) that can offer some basic advice, appreciated?

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Theres a guy Marlow that used to frequent boards did one based on an vw lt syncro he had two of them very capable off road

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5468/9805688203_2ecf7f58c0_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think they are Agri, there was a court case a few years ago IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

This one was on the plot next to us in Spain last year. The guy who owned it told me it was originally registered as a work vehicle and he left it as that. As a work vehicle, it wasn't subject to the same testing and tax regulations as a regular vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

niloc1951 wrote: »
    This one was on the plot next to us in Spain last year. The guy who owned it told me it was originally registered as a work vehicle and he left it as that. As a work vehicle, it wasn't subject to the same testing and tax regulations as a regular vehicle.

yeah that's the kindof rig I was thinking of
    as regards the rules/legals yep I'd heard this before but I can't see it explicitly mentioned anywhere in officialdom to date...almost like they dont like to talk about it maybe? ;)

as I was searching about I came across this crowd out in Mayo!

https://woodstockwelding.com/index.php/tt-service/unimog-welding-rig/

at some point they had what they called their "unimog 1" up for sale, the kind of project I'd love to look at...thinking of giving them a shout for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I assume its mobile workshop theyre talking about if its not already registered as a mobike workshop it will be impossible without a comercially valid reason and somekind of equipment to fill the back of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement