Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

14 month old naps

• 21-04-2018 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all just a quick one for ye this beautiful sunny Saturday morning :) & apologies to those that have seen this asked already!!

Our 14 month old was down to 1 long nap in the afternoon. She sleeps 12 hours at night. About 2 weeks ago this suddenly stopped & now will only do 30 mins to the button.

I’ve tried lots of things. Putting her down earlier keeping her up longer more food less gods. Nothing works. She will sleep longer if we are lying with her or in the car etc but that’s not practical everyday. She is fine at night goes asleep by herself & self settles during the night.

Any ideas????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

It's clear she only needs the half hour, nothing wrong with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

It's clear she only needs the half hour, nothing wrong with that :)

I don’t think so coz she’s a mess by 5 in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

At 12 months one of my kids started resisting the cot for naps..... so I had to put him in the buggy in the living room the odd little push but usually I just let him look out the window & he was asleep very quickly. He still sleeps 2 hours in the buggy at nearly 3 years. It’s handy as we can bring him other places & he’ll nod off there. It might be that your baby is waking up and as she’s more active at this age, she perks up and springs up. I found that in the buggy, they are more confined and sleep longer..... just my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

We have a similar problem. He changed to one long nap around a month ago, and slept for two hours at a time for a couple of weeks. Then for the last 2-3 weeks, the nap has been getting shorter and shorter and is usually around an hour now.

It’s annoying because he’s ready for the nap by around midday, but wakes around 1 with the result he is a grumpy wreck by around 6 - bedtime is 7-7.30. Whereas when he was sleeping for two hours and waking at 2, he was grand all afternoon and ready for bedtime as planned.

I haven’t worked out any way of lengthening the nap so I’ve no advice, just sympathy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would actually do nothing deh!
    Just head her for her nap round midday ish, try and get her dinner in beforehand, and thay(s it.If you can do a walk and fresh air in the morning, all the better.I am saying this as someone who had two kids who were both forty min catnappers for most of the first year of ether lives and nothing I did could change that....nothing!!!I did note on both of them that in the weeks before their daytime naps stretched longer, the naps got much shorter first.The only thing I ended up accepting was that I would just keep at it with a routine, and eventually the sleep would stretch.I couldn't force it.
    Mind you there is a huge difference in their nap lengths, my first slept two naps a day til 18/19mths, then stretched to a 3hr nap.....no.2 has only done 1.5 hrs in a day since 14 mths, but she does a longer night than the first did.At 14 mths though, she still needs it so stick with it.One thing....is she walking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

One thing that worked for me when he had too short a nap at that age was to just lie him back down again.

Even if he was wide awake standing up shouting, often times just wordlessly lieing him down would get him back to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭Bacchus

14 months is around leap 9 so you can expect some sleep regression. Sounds like you're getting an easy ride though with the night sleep unaffected! We had a rough 2-3 weeks with a lot of interrupted sleep at night. It also coincided with her dropping from 2 naps to 1. We rode it out though, did our best to keep her routine going, and we came out the other side of it all back to normal with sleep. Not much advice there really, but just some hope for you that its just a phase, and it will pass.

Advertisement