Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage with Ulster Bank - ex-partner disappeared

• 21-04-2018 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I got a letter from Ulster Bank asking myself and the other mortgage holder (my ex partner) to come into the bank with proof of address and identity. Actually, there were two letters, they came addressed separately. One for me and one for him.

I have no problem going in with my passport and a bill but my ex-partner left Ireland 10 years ago and no one has heard from him since 2010. He has essentially disappeared.

The letter states that if we do not comply the account will be terminated.

The mortgage is a variable onc with 18 of 30 years paid off.

What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Is it related to your account or the mortgage? Can't see them giving up on the mortgage just because you don't go in.
    If the mortgage is paid up and you live in the property my instinct would be just go in and explain the situation. These days there are lots of laws about financial institutions knowing their customers related to money laundering and terrorism. It is probably concerning proof of identity.
    I think you can have someone missing for 7 years declared dead but that seems like overkill and more something for his family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

It is just the mortgage, neither of us have an account with them.

The last time I tried to explain the situation with them I got nowhere.

The biggest problem is not being able to trust his family. He could vrry well be dead and they just never bothered to tell me. That actually wouldn't surprise me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Is the mortgage in arrears? or are you paid up?

Im not sure what the bank want! They may have received some instruction about his out of countryness or something.

The letter states that if we do not comply the account will be terminated.

hehe, Wouldnt you be so lucky if they terminated the Mortgage! (the luckiest!)

It certainly sounds like the type of thing just to verify some identity. I have to do it every 2-3 years with AIB. The odd letter comes in, and any time i am in there. I think its a two year thing for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

If your ex partner is still on the mortgage they’re entitled to an equal share of the property.

If you truly believe they may be dead, start the process to have them declared dead. This will result in them being taken off the mortgage and also may result in your mortgage protection insurance kicking in and clearing your mortgage.

See a solicitor and get professional advice & guidance, preferably prior to seeing the bank.

• Advertisement

manonboard wrote: »
    Is the mortgage in arrears? or are you paid up?

Im not sure what the bank want! They may have received some instruction about his out of countryness or something.

The mortgage has never been in arrears. Paid up each month without a problem by me and only me for the last 10 years. The letter says it's a routine anti-fraud thing. I don't have a problem with that, it's that my ex obviously will not be complying with their request that I'm worried about.
    manonboard wrote: »
    hehe, Wouldnt you be so lucky if they terminated the Mortgage! (the luckiest!)

It certainly sounds like the type of thing just to verify some identity. I have to do it every 2-3 years with AIB. The odd letter comes in, and any time i am in there. I think its a two year thing for the last few years.

Yeah, it's a routine thing the letter says. What's not routine is that my ex-partner hasn't been heard from in 8 years and I've no idea how to reach him even if I wanted to.
    OU812 wrote: »
    If your ex partner is still on the mortgage they’re entitled to an equal share of the property.

If you truly believe they may be dead, start the process to have them declared dead. This will result in them being taken off the mortgage and also may result in your mortgage protection insurance kicking in and clearing your mortgage.

See a solicitor and get professional advice & guidance, preferably prior to seeing the bank.

I have seen solicitors and none of them can give me a clear answer. It's doing my head in as I have yet to get a divorce too. It's pretty messy. My question though was about the bank and whether or not they'll suspend the mortgage because my partner can't comply with their routine request that he identify himself.

I have seen solicitors and none of them can give me a clear answer. It's doing my head in as I have yet to get a divorce too. It's pretty messy. My question though was about the bank and whether or not they'll suspend the mortgage because my partner can't comply with their routine request that he identify himself.

That seems like an absurdly remote chance that is almost impossible to imagine. What it would mean is they would have to suspect a loan they are due money on? They would never be able to do that and still clock up interest without letting you pay. It just wouldnt be possible.
    On the farest reach of chance, the loan gets suspended (wont happen),. You'd effectively be able to save up principal without occuring interest!
    You win either way.

No, there will be questions of coursed raised, but there is nothing you can do about it, and the banks dont care as long as they are getting the money they are owed. No business would stop a loan from being paid back that is being paid well with interest!

Of course the bigger issue of you paying for something your ex may also own is the problem part, so perhaps it is a good thing to discuss it at this time with your bank. Maybe they can help you out since (S)he isnt complying with audit rules etc... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Routine id updating to ensure they comply with all money laundering rules.

Simply pop in with your details and explain issue - it won't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

You paying the mortgage by yourself is your biggest problem here and your ex could reappear at any stage and claim half and demand you sell.. How could you let it go on so long without seeking professional help or trying to get his/her name off the mortgage.

I wouldn't be worrying about the ID problem once you provide yours there not gonna cancel a mortgage your paying they couldnt, but this could all come back to bite you in the distant future.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Routine id updating to ensure they comply with all money laundering rules.

Simply pop in with your details and explain issue - it won't be a problem.

I'll do that. Fingers crossed they won't be fussed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I would get him removed from the Mortgage. If you've paid 18 years of it (and the last 8 on your own) the bank won't cancel the Mortgage and force you to sell.

The big issue is him being still on the Mortgage. That's what you need to get sorted.

Wheety wrote: »
    I would get him removed from the Mortgage. If you've paid 18 years of it (and the last 8 on your own) the bank won't cancel the Mortgage and force you to sell.

The big issue is him being still on the Mortgage. That's what you need to get sorted.

I know. Trust me, I know. It's been hanging over my head for so long it would be such a weight off the shoulders to get it sorted. I've asked solicitors but none of them have heard of a case like mine before and none of them have been able to give me sound advice. If you know anyone who can give me a straight answer, pm me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I've asked solicitors but none of them have heard of a case like mine before and none of them have been able to give me sound advice. If you know anyone who can give me a straight answer, pm me!

It may be worth giving the helpline mentioned at the site below a call. They might be able to refer you to someone who could help.

https://www.missingpersons.ie/about-us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Wheety wrote: »

What is needed is to have his name removed from the title to the house not the mortgage. A bank is unlikely to remove one liable person from the mortgage. You both remain liable for the loan, probably jointly and severally i.e. the bank can seek repayments on the loan from both of or either one of you.

Transferring full interest / title in the family home into your name is something that could be ordered in divorce proceedings. Paying the full mortgage on your own for the past ten years might be persuasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

But what about if he is dead. Have you any contact with his family or close friends.

If he’s dead then your mortgage protection will kick in

Advertisement