Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk in Plastic Containers

Options
  • 21-04-2018 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Why is it that Snowcream and Avonmore milk in the plastic containers tastes weird but milk from Aldi and Tesco in plastic containers has no such taste? Bearing in mind snow cream and Avonmore specialize in dairy products!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Have you tried blind tasting just to be sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Lawnkiller wrote: »
    Why is it that Snowcream and Avonmore milk in the plastic containers tastes weird but milk from Aldi and Tesco in plastic containers has no such taste? Bearing in mind snow cream and Avonmore specialize in dairy products!

Bear in mind that while Aldi and Tesco don't specialize in dairy products, their suppliers are very likely Avonmore and the likes.

I found all milk is the same, now there could be small differences, but they all come from few places anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Only thing I can think is that the Aldi /LIDL will sell more and faster than the other brands? So they will be fresher?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Only thing I can think is that the Aldi /LIDL will sell more and faster than the other brands? So they will be fresher?

Or stored correctly. The weird taste could indicate it was stored together with some products that could affect the taste. Plastic can store some fragrances, if the op drinks straight from the bottle that could be it.

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres a horrible taste off the Avonmore in a plastic jug. It's fine in tea or coffee, but you can seriously taste it in a bowl of cereal or a glass of milk. It's 100% the container, I've bought it in too many places to be anything else.

Strange, at least you know what brand to avoid.

I mostly get milk in plastic bottles from local Centra and no issues. Will try Avonmore when I get a chance and see if it is any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've recently observed that milk seems to last way longer in a tetrapac carton than in a plastic bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Theres a horrible taste off the Avonmore in a plastic jug. It's fine in tea or coffee, but you can seriously taste it in a bowl of cereal or a glass of milk. It's 100% the container, I've bought it in too many places to be anything else.

It's not the container. I agree that it is vile on cornflakes and its the reason I only ever buy milk in tetra paks but I grew up on a dairy farm and often refill empty plastic milk containers with fresh unpasteurised cows milk when I'm home. I can confirm that the same weird acidic taste doesn't exist for the reused containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I would imagine tetra pack keeps the milk fresher than bottles as milk does not light. Light effect on milk can cause flavour change

It’s possibly a change in the cows diet. I grew up on a small dairy farm and could always tell when their diet was changed, eg from grass to silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It’s possibly a change in the cows diet. I grew up on a small dairy farm and could always tell when their diet was changed, eg from grass to silage.

No, this taste occurs all year round. I reckon it's something to do with the homogenisation and bottling process. Possibly put into the container when still warm or something and causes a reaction with the plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plastic bottles let UV through which affects the milk. Tetrapacs were specifically designed to block UV. They're just dearer and not very structutally stable when make bigger than about 1.5l whereas there's 3l plastic bottles available here and much larger elsewhere

Advertisement