Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avocado calories/nutrition

Options
  • 21-04-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all,

When the label of an avocado gives the nutritional information per 100g... does the weight also includes the seed and flesh?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No seed or skin ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

wonski wrote: »
    No seed or skin ;)

Yes, I meant the "skin" (not the flesh) :-)

Thanks, so the nutritional info only accounts for the flesh part

so, if:
    • the label says: 20g of fat/100g
    • the avocado weights 200g (flesh + skin + seed)

If we assume that the flesh is 70% of the avocado weight:
    • flesh = 140g (0.7*200)
    • fat = 20*140/100 = 28g

Is this correct? Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Unless you weigh the flesh only, you can't be 100% sure, but 70-80% would be just right depending on the variety.

Fat is the only thing of concern I would look at and it is a relatively good fat, unless you are on a very strict diet.

I love avocados :)

Edit: It is amazing that these days even lemons have nutritional info on the label. Step in the right direction and something that I didn't see coming. EU did some good work at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Yes - just weigh the flesh only. Remember 3/4 of the fat in avocado is unsaturated which means it’s not bad for you

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Yes - just weigh the flesh only. Remember 3/4 of the fat in avocado is unsaturated which means it’s not bad for you

Yes, avocados are great!

I want to follow the FMD https://thequantifiedbody.net/fast-mimicking-diet/

which involves a 5-day calorific restriction so I need to be at the top of calory and fat/carb/protein counting

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When you eat avocados you need only enjoy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

AllForIt wrote: »
    When you eat avocados you need only enjoy them.
    what does that even mean?

Yes of course they're great, love them but when we work with clients that
    want to drop body fat and need to track calories then knowing its about 250 calories in a single avocado is
    important to factor in as opposed to just placing it in the "healthy2 bucket

what makes ANY food healthy or unhealthy is down to the quality of the food AND the calories in said food

The long term goal is to just have the avocado and enjoy it but if you're a very inactive person looking to drop body fat then
    getting more familiar with your overall calorie intake is going to make a massive difference and just makes the process easier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

You can still gain fat from good fat though even if its not damaging to your body like saturated kind

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nickkohl

Obviously depends on size

do you have a scale?

160 calories and 15g of fat per 100grams

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Nardeant

Why do you consider the weight of a bone and peel, because usually the value of a pure product is given in tables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

If I might correct you. Saturated fat is good fat and also contains fat soluble vitamins. Previous century people ate mostly saturated fat, lard, tallow and had very little heart disease, diabetes and cancer. With the introduction of seed oils, trans fats and processed sugar we see such huge epidemic of heart disease, diabetes and obesity

Post edited by GoogleBot on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kinney

Nevertheless, I adore avocado! This is one of my best favourite foods.

Advertisement