Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant/weed ID

Options
  • 21-04-2018 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can someone ID this plant/weed?

It is popping up everywhere. Didn’t see much of it last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a very common little thing that produces long pods of seeds, which when you touch them spray madly all over the garden. When you pull it, try and get it before the seed pods form and grab it firmly in your fist so the seeds cannot fire off.

As to what it is called, give me a minute, the aul brain isn't what it was!

Edit, had to give in and look for it, bittercress.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

looksee wrote: »
    Its a very common little thing that produces long pods of seeds, which when you touch them spray madly all over the garden. When you pull it, try and get it before the seed pods form and grab it firmly in your fist so the seeds cannot fire off.

As to what it is called, give me a minute, the aul brain isn't what it was!

Edit, had to give in and look for it, bittercress.

Sound - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

Think it is also called shepherds purse, often found in pots that u get from garden centres, very invasive and hard to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Shepherds purse is rather different, it has little heart shaped seed pods and I don't think it is as demented. Its true you can get it in pots from garden centres, but in fairness it is everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭feedthegoat

looksee wrote: »
    Shepherds purse is rather different, it has little heart shaped seed pods and I don't think it is as demented. Its true you can get it in pots from garden centres, but in fairness it is everywhere!

You are absolutely right, misidentification on my part. Bittercress it is, a terrible nuisance on bare ground.

• Advertisement

Keep on top of this weed. The seed pods it creates house an incredible amount of seeds!
    My next door neighbors is overrun with it and many if the seeds end up along our border.
    It's a shallow root system so pretty easy to pull up.

Don't let it go to seed!!!

Advertisement