Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure, Lower Lough Bray, was I trespassing?

Options
  • 21-04-2018 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Lovely sunny hike up Kippure, then across and down to Lower L Bray. We attempted to hike out along a path with the lake on our right, but near L Bray Cottage (yeah, some cottage!) the 'private property' sign stopped us. We might have crossed regardless, or hiked northward around the cottage garden. Instead we hiked southward and eastward around the lake close on our left side. The going was rough and interesting. When the dead dear carcass went unmentioned, the dead goat carcass further along invited comment about whether this was above our pay grade!

Were we trespassing? Do the owners indulge walkers or police it carefully? What are the conventional routes and behaviour in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Generally the Lough Brays are accessed either from the car park up the road, or the lane/track that runs to the left of the cottage (as you look at it from the road). Anywhere to the right of that would be private (as in keep out) land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yes, you were venturing onto ground where you wouldn't usually be welcome. But recognised this and came out a more reasonable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

hmmm wrote: »
    Generally the Lough Brays are accessed either from the car park up the road, or the lane/track that runs to the left of the cottage (as you look at it from the road). Anywhere to the right of that would be private (as in keep out) land.

On Google Maps, that rocky track to the left of the cottage has a sign that says 'Private Grounds - No Fishing, No Boating, No Camping, No Fires'.

Just wondering if anyone has asked to owners if hiking is in order. Maybe the sign doesn't exist anymore and the Google Maps image is old.

I'd like to climb Kippure this month from that point, but I don't fancy a heated encounter with a shotgun:)

If it's risky, I will just move further south.

Any advice is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    On Google Maps, that rocky track to the left of the cottage has a sign that says 'Private Grounds - No Fishing, No Boating, No Camping, No Fires'.

Just wondering if anyone has asked to owners if hiking is in order.
    I suggest starting your hike in from the car park just up the road at the quarry, walking between the middle of the two lakes and a steepish climb up to Eagle's crag. That way you don't have to ask any questions.

Advertisement