Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fake flight itinery ticket

• 21-04-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

In short I have a trip planned to visit my brother for his graduation which I have told him I will be unable to make. However my family is under the belief I am arriving to celebrate with them the following week. I wanted for it to be a surprise, however they are being quite persistent for me to send on confirmation email of flights with dates/times etc

Is it possible for me to create a fake itinerary ticket? or the airline I am flying back home with from the states also have a 24 hour flexible cancelation policy. Is my best option to book a new flight and then cancel afterwards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Why bother with the confirmation email? Surely they'll be happy if you email them and say I'm arriving on flight whatever, whenever (but change the date to a day later than when you are actually flying in case they decide to come to the airport to pick you up).

As an aside the one time i decided to fly home and surprise my parents they got really panicky as they couldn't reach me and thought something had happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

I understand but I'm perceived as scatty so parents being parents would like the actual confirmation with times etc flight numbers in case I relay the wrong information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

How techy are your parents? Maybe if you just sent them a screenshot of the flights that you want through google.ie/flights, it may suffice? Of course, don't send the screenshot with the prices on it as it would seem that you haven't purchased it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

You could use the existing itinerary
    just cover up the outbound date with a new date, either by using computer software - paste in to Word or something as an image and put a text box with the 'fake' date over the real one
    or even resort to old school forgery by printing your itinerary then putting a tiny square of paper with fake outward dates on top of the real date, then scan

They're hardly going to scrutinise it for tiny signs that it's a fake...

Or mock one up yourself using the flights you want and the insert screen clipping option in Word

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

Not very much, the issue would be my brother is so helps them with technical assistance he would spot this.

24-Hour Flexible Booking Policy
    United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations are not eligible for changes within 24 hours, they are still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. Please view the terms and conditions below.

I think this would work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Not very much, the issue would be my brother is so helps them with technical assistance he would spot this.

24-Hour Flexible Booking Policy...

I think this would work?

Sounds a bit risky to me - you might still get stung for cancellation charges.

I assume you've had an e-mail confirmation of your flight? If so, you can usually change some or all of the info included in that by sending it as a forwarded message. If you have the option (e.g. using Thunderbird, for example) you should not include images in the forwarded message, and make sure to delete any attachments. I've just tried it with a Norwegian reservation I made for September and it's dead easy to change the outbound date.

If you think your brother really has nothing better to do than check up on your travel arrangements, you'll need to make a point of checking that the flight number of the "new" flight matches the real one. But if he goes so far as check the booking reference, you're scuppered! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

With BA and some other airlines you can "hold your fare" for a tenner for 24 hours, not sure if that would provide a good enough looking itinerary to fool them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Just price a flight on any consolidator website & copy & paste it & say there you go folks - that's my itinerary

Dublin - 16h00 - Ouagadougou Tuesday 6 November 2018
    06:00 Dublin - Dublin (DUB)
    08:45 Paris - Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG)

AF1017 Airbus A318
    Operated by
    Air France
    4h30
    Transfer time at CDG
    13:15 Paris - Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG)
    22:00 Ouagadougou - Ouagadougou Airport (OUA)

AF0584 Airbus A330-200
    Please note that this flight has 1 stop in Accra
    Operated by
    Air France
    Change departure flight EUR 1,624
    Ouagadougou - 21h45 - Dublin Tuesday 13 November 2018
    Tue 23:45 Ouagadougou - Ouagadougou Airport (OUA)
    Wed 06:15 Paris - Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG)

AF0584 Airbus A330-200
    Operated by
    Air France
    14h30
    Transfer time at CDG
    20:45 Paris - Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG)
    21:30 Dublin - Dublin (DUB)

AF1016 Airbus A318
    Operated by
    Air France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-note:

Thread closed by me as it is Not in keeping with our charter.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement