Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldcourt estate - Firhouse opinions please

Options
  • 22-04-2018 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm looking at buying in the above area and I'm wondering what the area is like.

In particular is it a safe settled area? I'm not from the area so would like to get some opinions. Schools are not an issue and not likely to be in future.

I've looked in parklands area but they are apartments and I'm swaying towards a house.

Thanks for all you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭KildareP

It is near Ballycragh which had a bit of a name for itself years gone by but seems to have calmed consideraly in recent years.

Traffic is going to be your main issue - it is absolutelt chronic in the morning and evening to/from the M50. Used to live in Beechdale, which is a bit closer to the M50 than Oldcourt.

If I left at 7.30 I would be lucky to be at the Firhouse on-ranp of the M50 by 8AM. All of about a 1KM distance. To beat the heavy traffic I had to leave before 7AM - but I was only up in Park West so ended up in work an hour early.

We were only renting at the time, where we bought outside Dublin our commute distance increased 5x the distance but only 10-15 minutes longer than our Beechdale to Red Cow run.

Towards Tallaght is not so bad but traffic on the Old Bawn road can be heavy enough at times as well, particularly during school term.

There's a considerable amount of housing both built and being built since we left 2 years ago and nothing being done about transport so I expect the problem will have only gotten worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭fifigogo

We live in Parklands and we used to live on the Old Bawn Road. The Old Bawn Road, the Kilininny road and Firhouse road are a nightmare for traffic at peak time esp during school terms and will soon be worse due to the new apartments being built adjacent to the Old Bawn shopping centre and the Old Mill pub. Also the new housing estate heading toward Lidl in Ballycullen means most commuters from there have to come down the Old Court Road and onto the kilinninny road either going toward Tallaght bypass or M50. I live just across the road from the Firhouse community centre and one morning it took me an hour to get from our apartment to millbrook lawns (it's less than 3km) all because I left 10 minutes later than my usual time. At off peak times it would only take at most 10 minutes. I've heard neither positive nor negative things about the Oldcourt estate. I don't know if it is particularly safe there but I have definitely seen more anti-social behaviour around the area and surrounding areas in the last few years.

Advertisement