Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer heads?

Options
  • 22-04-2018 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

I have a Shindaiwa C350 strimmer and find it great.

It uses a Speedfeed 450 head and I go through 2 every season, is there anything stronger out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The strongest you can possibly get is square cut Nylon (4 mm I think)...but that kind of stuff needs a different head where you need to feed the new piece of string manually every time. No auto-feed for this kinda stuff as it's way too rigid.

Tough though...you can cut hedges with that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

peasant wrote:
    The strongest you can possibly get is square cut Nylon (4 mm I think)...but that kind of stuff needs a different head where you need to feed the new piece of string manually every time. No auto-feed for this kinda stuff as it's way too rigid.

peasant wrote:
    Tough though...you can cut hedges with that

I second this. Great for when strimming roughish areas near fencing stones. Well worth the extra euros

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Desert Extrusion make one piece manual feed heads they are the most durable type you can find, they can also be used with larger diameter lines for durability.
    One thing that makes line last longer is soaking it in water before use, cut a piece of sponge and wet it and let the line rest on it for a day or so before use.
    Nylon absorbs a lot of water and it makes it much more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Thanks CJ I picked one up there today.

That's mad about the nylon absorbing water, must try it out thanks for the tip!

I'll see how the new head goes, the 450 was very handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

murph226 wrote: »
    Thanks CJ I picked one up there today.

That's mad about the nylon absorbing water, must try it out thanks for the tip!

I'll see how the new head goes, the 450 was very handy though.

You could buy line before that was grey and had little teeth, I can't remember the name of it but it had a small round doughnut of foam in the centre of the pack that you could soak with water and prolong the lifespan of the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There’s a universal metal head you can buy that will fit most strimmers.its not a bump feed and doesn’t hold a spool but you just cut a few lengths of line and have them in your pockets.takes about one minute to fit chord.great job.the bolt is normally left hand thread on the heads

Advertisement