Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer - cheapest way to furnish place

Options
  • 22-04-2018 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi ,

i'll soon get the keys to my new apartment. Pretty much took out all my savings to pay for the deposit on the place. Need to buy some basic furniture like beds , couch and table before I can move in.

Any ideas where the cheapest place to get furniture is? I've been looking on Harvey norman website , ikea etc

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Tell as many people you know that you've bought a new place. There will be a queue to give you the shíte they don't want anymore.

On a more serious note, Ikea is good for the starter bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

If you're not to pushed about style try second hand. Plenty of the more expensive furniture can be gotten cheap. Some thing you have to buy new such as a mattress and buy a good one if you can as it really helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Secondhand/charity shops, donedeal, adverts, freecycle.

Fill it with what you need now, on tne cheap and then replace with what you want as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

Try the Free Stuff section on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭windmilllane

Keep and eye on DoneDeal and adverts. Sometimes you'll see stuff advertised in local supermarkets. That way it's local for collecting/delivery. Also, there are often local Facebook pages for selling furniture etc. Ikea is also good suggestion. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Ikea has many cheap options but their cheap couches are very hard so worth trying before you buy. As others have said check adverts and done deal. Harvey Norman is very expensive compared to ikea so I'd rule them out for now if I were you. There is a shop in Tallaght called Murphy's Liquidation who sell very cheap furniture. Oxfam on Frances St also sell furniture as do many of the charity shops for Cheeverstown with branches in Tallaght and Templeogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

When we bought our first house in 2015, we slept on blow up mattresses and sat on deck chairs. We gradually furnished the place bit by bit, month by month. It took about 18 months to get everything we wanted, but it was very rewarding doing it like that.

Obviously if you have young kids, that’s probably not the best plan. But it’s part of the fun of your first home together!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Loads of Facebook groups called "[Place] Things for Sale or Swap" or FB Groups called "Buy and Sell [town]" .... just put your town name with the last lines on it and you will be amazed what you will get on them, some amazing stuff at low prices. Best of luck in your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

When we bought our first house in 2015, we slept on blow up mattresses and sat on deck chairs. We gradually furnished the place bit by bit, month by month. It took about 18 months to get everything we wanted, but it was very rewarding doing it like that.

Obviously if you have young kids, that’s probably not the best plan. But it’s part of the fun of your first home together!

Did ye have a fridge, cooker, washing machine etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Totally forgot to say in my earlier post. I picked up a good few bits on adverts. Tv stands, a coffee table etc and all perfect. I have since changed a few things and popped them up on FB marketplace and sold them again quickly for the same or even more than I originally paid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had no washing machine for the first few years when I bought my house in the late 80s. I couldn't afford it. A couple of winters wringing jeans out by hand made it top of my list when I could afford it.

For furniture, I gladly accepted the horrible brown velvet suite a relative was dumping and bought some material to use as throws. I had them for many years.

I bought a second hand cooker and fridge in a place in Capel Street.

It was probably ten years after I moved in that most of the stuff in the house was stuff I had chosen rather than made do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Did ye have a fridge, cooker, washing machine etc?

Yes we had the white goods - they came with the house. They were all old and knackered so we did have to replace them, but they did us for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hi ,

i'll soon get the keys to my new apartment. Pretty much took out all my savings to pay for the deposit on the place. Need to buy some basic furniture like beds , couch and table before I can move in.

Any ideas where the cheapest place to get furniture is? I've been looking on Harvey norman website , ikea etc

cheers

We skipped the bedframe, and just bought a very good mattress and laid it on the ground temporarily. It was perfect for sleeping in, and bought a bedframe we actually liked when we had the money, no rush panic buying and shoving in whatever was on sale at the time.

Go through and see what you actually need. It was about 2 years before we had a kitchen table and chairs, we just got a couple of barstool chairs and ate at the counter which had about foot of an overhang. Still eat there most of the time, table is only used at the weekends or if we have visitors.

Similarly we were a good while before getting a couch. Just have a look and only get the bare essentials at the start, it helps later on if you are trying to go with a certain theme or style for furniture if you haven't too much bought yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

OP you're doing it right! The very best of luck with your new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I'm in the middle of buying my first house and have bought a ton of second hand furniture for it. There is a second hand furniture shop in the local town and I bought pretty much everything in there and got a good discount too because I was getting so much. The last bits and pieces I'm hoping to get on the likes of adverts.ie

Advertisement