Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Willow Fedge

Options
  • 22-04-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. I planted a willow fence/hedge back in January and it's taken off. Just wondering on the future growth. Should the planted branches continue to grow or am I looking for leading shoots to give me the extra height. In other words when it comes to prunning should I be prunning back everything on the idea that the tree will continue to grow or leave the top bud for it to grow on to bring me the extra length I need.

All are about 3ft high at the moment and I want to end up somewhere around 5ft.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

I've seen these done before, but they were always arched to horizontal, so you will could be eight feet in length, but only five feet before it begins bending to the horizontal.

If that's what you're doing, leave your leader to grow until you have it robustly intertwined with the others. Id imagine you'll get most of the height you need this year, but you can start bending/shaping as soon as you have enough height

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Any chance of some pics? Would love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

Lumen wrote: »
    Any chance of some pics? Would love to see it.

If it looks half as good as this you're doing well

http://krisenrambo.blogspot.ie/2011/08/wilgenhaag.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Thanks, will get some pictures tomorrow if I think of it.

Yes the plan is to twist at about 4-5ft, so far ive just crossed what can be crossed and plan on leaving it to grow until I (hopefully) get the extra height.

Advertisement