Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Love the layout of the place, its compact, but it has everything I would need. The only thing that puts me off renting it is the requirement to put on a harness before you put meals into the microwave & take them out again. I know the landlord is looking out for your safety.:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aza-s-uuaY8

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wake_Up_Donnie

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-4-5-portland-drive-newcastle-west-co-limerick/3167904

I think the house is lovely - just needs some redecoration but this bathroom... I love the bathmat on top of the carpet - for extra moisture retention :(

MzZmM2EzYTQwYTAwMTUwNjI5MTAzOTVhZjA3Y2U5ZmGdJxzx_KTj-2B38iwIVa6PaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzgvYS84YTg1YTFmNzZkMGNlMzgwNTVkNzA3ZmVjNjc3NTVhMi5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/flat-cabra-road-phibsborough-dublin-7/3193063

It's er, cosy? :rolleyes:
    It looks like it's on a landing, with the 'kitchen' partly over the stairs.

C8-F9-DFBB-2768-4-B00-BB61-C88443-DDE0-E4.jpg

1 double bedroom? :confused:

You'd really want to love each other......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

And keep the heads down ... :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Only one crying chair though... :D

• Advertisement

Only one crying chair though... :D

One of them could sit on the end of the bed and make the tea.

It's a very versatile space.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

does it not go to the bathroom?

But the Yale lock is on the outside of the door - so you'd have to take a key in with you every time you entered, in case you shut the door after yourself and locked yourself in . . .

I see there's a clothes-horse on top of the "bathroom" (I use the term broadly because I can't see anything other than the heads in there) wardrobe - where the bloody hell is there space even to unfold it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're right! You must have to go down stairs to the loo/walk in wardrobe and hope you don't impale yourself on the 2 feet of extra handrail sticking up in the air.

Look at the angle of that handrail. That's not a stairs, it's more like a permanent attic ladder!

Place is a death trap, probably no fire exit in the "en suite wardrobe" so only way in and out is the main door.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Is it BER exempt because it doesn't bloody exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

C8-F9-DFBB-2768-4-B00-BB61-C88443-DDE0-E4.jpg

"Studio apartment" is code now for hell hole obviously.
    But hey...they're obviously looking after your safety with the fire blanket!

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Seriously though, imagine living there? No where to put your TV, no room to move around, not able to sit up in bed and look at the kitchen, dicing with death going to the loo/wardrobe and paying €850 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,345 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Seriously though, imagine living there? No where to put your TV, no room to move around, not able to sit up in bed and look at the kitchen, dicing with death going to the loo/wardrobe and paying €850 a month.

Ah, now, in fairness - you could ask the pot plant (nicely) to shove over a bit and share the shelf....

The rest..... you may have a point.

Ah, now, in fairness - you could ask the pot plant (nicely) to shove over a bit and share the shelf....

The rest..... you may have a point.

No, I'm afraid that shelf is where brain cells go to die when you absentmindedly stand up off the crying chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

"Studio apartment" is code now for hell hole obviously.
    But hey...they're obviously looking after your safety with the fire blanket!

If you zoom right in, you can see the elbow of whoever took the photo!

Seriously though - I wouldn't live there for free. The STATE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Look at the angle of that handrail. That's not a stairs, it's more like a permanent attic ladder!

Place is a death trap, probably no fire exit in the "en suite wardrobe" so only way in and out is the main door.

Yep, illegal stairs alright.

Does anybody go around inspecting these places? I mean there are people going around looking at conditions dogs are kept in, who does it for humans?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, no way that thing can be legal. That is definitely a stira, or at least some custom crap cobbled together for a stairs.

That cabinet over the bed...is that a gas boiler?

That's also not a double bed. It's a small single.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

That microflat is a shocker. If ever there was a need for a magical Estate agent widening photo lens then this is it.

That cabinet over the bed...if you jolted in the middle of the night you would knock yourself unconscious on the bottom of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I can't believe they missed out on the opportunity to call it a duplex apartment. Very poor of the estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

thing is some agency will stick a migrant worker fella in that monstrosity and wash their hands with it. Lived in a houseshare years ago with a converted garage that served as a bedroom that was poxy freezing and the local nursing homes used to place staff there all the time, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

The advert is gone, i missed it. Was there other pictures or that just it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Wow this place is one of the worst I've seen, I would really love it if the media picked it up and gave it more widespread redicule. How on earth they have that advertised as a double is beyond me, clearly a single bed. No place to eat your meals, you can either stand over the kitchen counter or sit in the chair and balance your plate on your knees. They also have a washing machine and dryer listed, no sign of either in the photos.

Anyway, I see the add has been taken down now. Probably got some poor desperate sap to take the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,546 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

seamus wrote: »

That cabinet over the bed...is that a gas boiler?

That's also not a double bed. It's a small single.

I think it’s the gas boiler.

Maybe the apartment is so big the bed appears small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

It's nice that they've provided a seating area so you can wait and watch for the microwave to finish!

ZmJkZjNiZTMzMWQ5NmIzOTBhMDAyOWIwYTNhNzA1OTd3LRzcXWlNwy36NjpHYyaoaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzUvNi81NmI1NjU3ODY1ZWRmNmYzYjMxMjNhYjJjMmUwODIzNC5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/flat-phibsborough-d7-phibsborough-dublin-7/3182161

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

chewed wrote: »
    It's nice that they've provided a seating area so you can wait and watch for the microwave to finish!

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/flat-phibsborough-d7-phibsborough-dublin-7/3182161
    I quite like how the single mattresses overhang the tiny bedframes.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Maybe its because I'm still reeling from the last place but this one doesn't seem that bad.

I think it’s the gas boiler.
    I mean, it's legal to have a boiler in the bedroom, but I'm not sure what the regs say about it being 3 inches from your face while you're asleep.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Maybe its because I'm still reeling from the last place but this one doesn't seem that bad.
    I would put good money that that was originally one smallish double bedroom carved into two tiny singles to make more money.

Like you say, it doesn't seem terrible except that it's in a shocking state of repair. The kitchen looks like it was reclaimed from a skip.

If you put the bedroom back the way it's supposed to be and renovated it, it would be a semi-decent little one bed worthy of €1k a month.

You couldn't get more Dutch than living in a former windmill... okay, living in an active windmill might surpass it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The advert is gone, i missed it. Was there other pictures or that just it

There was a photo taken from the opposite angle, in the same part of the landing apartment. And a photo of a toilet in front of a wardrobe.

Advertisement