Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I think that place would give me way too much PTSD. Imagine having that whole being back in school nightmare, and then waking up in an actual school?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I love exposed pipeworks and electrics, stuff is like magic! it is that much easier to fix too when it inevitably goes wrong :) the tiles and hardwood floors be too much for me though. Needs a carpet or rug or two

Love the old blackboard still in place. Good visualisation of time being the 4th dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I played football against Carniska N.S. a couple of times! :o A long time ago.

I love the building and the way they kept some of the old furnishings. I especially love the floors, blackboard, toilets, doors and the huge windows. Great views from there, though it's angled slightly wrong for Slieve Bawn.

A hoor to heat though. No BER which is odd. But you have plenty of space to coppice ash and beech for a wood bruning stove. This would supplement a solar heating system. It would actually benefit from underfloor heating but that means taking the floorboards up. You could also do with a fully insulated suspended ceiling. There's probably empty space under the floorboards making it all a bit colder. Needs a new septic tank too and that would be a fully sealed system in that area , not a percolator.

Up for auction on May 25th, will be interesting to see how much it goes for.

552154.PNG

gortahork.PNG

WOW!

Not to everybody's taste, the loaction would suit someone who likes their peace and quiet. There is a proposed Greenway along the route of the old Burtonport-Letterkenny line so you could have a line in tea/coffee/sambo's/tubs of ices etc.

Pic above is from Streetview in 2009 when they were renovating the station, it's an area that is incredible for views like that and you get the Northern Lights in winter to boot. Very tastefully done, and when you consider what you get for €300,000 in Dublin it's not too bad.

https://www.formerglory.ie/period-property-for-sale-in-ireland/cashelnagor-railway-station-cashelnagor-gortahork-donegal/

for-sale-cashelnagor-railway-station-1.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^ can't see them getting the smell of that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's lovely but that's only fishing in the second property/holiday home market

300k is tasty

^^^ can't see them getting the smell of that money.

I'd buy it in 10 years when looking to take an early retirement. You also own about 150m of the railway line going north. Put in a small orchard and veg patch behind the house. Live in one unit, rent the other one out to tourists using the Greenway. The green strip along the platform is ideal for a few tents, or even a couple of caravans for a few months a year. Rent bikes on the side. Nice to have the ever-changing company. You'd make a few bob to keep the ball rolling and maybe a bit of WFH.

You do it from mid-May to mid-September and Easter and October holidays as well.

Donegal Airport is 30 mins by car, Glenveagh 20 min, Letterkenny 45 min, Derry 1hr 15 min. Handy to pick tourists up.

Rent either the house or annex by the month as long term accommodation to artists or whomever, or free or nominal rent to a caretaker.

Do plenty of promotion on social media here and abroad and you're laughing. It's not far off the right price. You won't make a fortune but it's a nice earner on the side.

I love wild landscapes like that and I'd have no issue living there for several months of the year.

EDIT: Yes, €300K is 'tasty', but I'd say it can be bargained down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That house has been on Airbnb for a while, I wonder how it did in terms of occupancy?

It's seriously remote - both from the big cities, but also in terms of up there, that's really in the middle of nowhere! (Which could be a good or a bad thing).

Can't see it getting anywhere near that asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I dont think it will achieve 300k either, probably closer to 250k. Though you never know with holiday homes when the market for them tends to come from city dwellers with very good incomes. Theres also an international market for properties like that in the middle of nowhere too, pretty sure Sarah Jessica Parker still has a holiday home up that way somewhere.

KevRossi wrote: »
    A hoor to heat though. No BER which is odd. But you have plenty of space to coppice ash and beech for a wood bruning stove. This would supplement a solar heating system. It would actually benefit from underfloor heating but that means taking the floorboards up. You could also do with a fully insulated suspended ceiling. There's probably empty space under the floorboards making it all a bit colder. Needs a new septic tank too and that would be a fully sealed system in that area , not a percolator.

Up for auction on May 25th, will be interesting to see how much it goes for.

No BER might be because it is a protected structure, they are exempt from the BER system as are old churches converted into houses.

Its got a 75k starting bid at the auction which is designed to drum up interest. Id think it will go for a fair bit over that, probably about 130k-150k. Its actually good value as its not just a shell and lots of the renovation work is already done. Ive seen a similar sized former school in Wicklow in a bad state sell for 230k and it needed a further 150-200k spent on it.

• Advertisement

https://www.leonardauctioneers.com/old-killygorman-school-killeshandra-cavan/622344

Here is another school renovation, higher spec but cannot decide if I like it better or not.
    Nicer outside.
    Way overpriced for the area though!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,546 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is another old schoolhouse for sales. It's fairly renovated.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/barconny-schoolhouse-ballyjamesduff-cavan/4484652

That ballyjamesduff one is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,546 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

bubblypop wrote: »

Ya, I saw it some while ago and I adore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd be black and blue walking into wooden pillars all day.

https://www.leonardauctioneers.com/old-killygorman-school-killeshandra-cavan/622344

Here is another school renovation, higher spec but cannot decide if I like it better or not.
    Nicer outside.

no for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Gorgeous, and not a flat roof to be seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Nicer outside.
    Nice blank page to start, I like it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/flat-cabra-road-phibsborough-dublin-7/3193063

The furnished landing :rolleyes: for rent in Phibsborough is back up on Daft again.

The furnished landing :rolleyes: for rent in Phibsborough is back up on Daft again.

that's a disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

The landlord needs to throw in the harness for free so that the tenant can safely get to the microwave, it might entice a tenant to take it this time round.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Cheers for posting that. I'm saving the pics here for posterity, in case the ad gets taken down again. Some things just need to be seen to be believed :D

Screenshot-20210503-190229-Samsung-Internet.jpg
    OWNk-NWQx-ZDI1-Yz-Fm-M2-Q4-MDYw-ZWY2-Nz-Bk-OGE1-OTg1-Nj-In-IKupksg-M1-Bo-SM-JI0-Ri-Ba-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z.webp
    ZWNi-ZWE1-Yzlj-Yzgw-NDY5-Yj-Iy-ZDU2-MDdh-OTI0-NGIy-OWTAj-ARb4-AU0-W7-FXj9f-Ts-RFqa-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-My1.webp
    Yj-Vj-Nj-E5-MWU5-Zm-Zj-NWZl-YTEz-MTNh-ZDVm-N2-Fk-NWM3-Nz-Qe8-Q8g-SIGL3v-R0kw-DMv692a-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-M.webp
    OTU3-ZTQ1-Y2-Nh-Nm-Q2-NTYz-Zj-Qx-ZGQ2-Mj-I5-N2-I3-Nz-Mx-OTc-DCw-S7te-Pms9b-Gd-Qg6t8r-Qa-HR0c-HM6-Ly9.webp
    Yj-I1-OTRj-Y2-Ji-Yjk3-Mz-Ix-Mz-Fm-Njll-Yjhh-ZDY4-MTNj-Ym-W9-RX-9h-VCj7dp7udoq7xyza-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-My1.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Is there anything can be done about this?

I'd email the contact on the ad but I'm sure they have no shame. But would it be worthwhile getting in touch with Daft or the local authority?

I'd email the contact on the ad but I'm sure they have no shame. But would it be worthwhile getting in touch with Daft or the local authority?

Daft have already accepted it. The local authority or RTB.

Fire Brigade.

Building Control DCC.

Dublin Gazette.

Joe Duffy.

I'm sure this was a misplaced comma but "large wardrobe space beside Luas" is accurate

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Cheers for posting that. I'm saving the pics here for posterity, in case the ad gets taken down again. Some things just need to be seen to be believed :D

Yes indeed, I saved one of them (the main room ie the landing :eek:) when I posted about it here, the first time around. It actually featured on Twitter and Reddit as well.

It was a link in another post that I clicked this evening that brought me to it again.
    I sincerely hope nobody rents it. It's shocking.

Where’s the toilet? Beside some wardrobe in some room? But not the landing.

Daft need to be held partly responsible here. I don’t know if there are actually humans looking at this photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

They've reduced the price right? I'm sure it was up for €840 last time.

• Advertisement

Kerry25x wrote: »
    They've reduced the price right?I'm sure it was up for €840 last time.

That crossed my mind too, but I wasn't sure.

Advertisement