Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

750K spent on it on top of the 250K purchase price. He may as well have burned bundles of 50s.

I suppose the idea there was that he never could have bought a house for 1 million without raising a lot of eyebrows. With his connections in construction, and by keeping it off the books this would have been 'the next best thing'.

Still, it was 750k he could have spent on lawyers. It's a complete refurb job for anyone that buys it anyway, those crazy floors and walls on a redbrick semi detached house is just the poorest taste i've ever seen on this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Is that a dog bed under the castle at about 2:30? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

No way they will get 400K for that. The planning issues are bad enough but the only people who could realistically buy that are relatives or friends of the byrnes. Nobody else would have peace in that house.

Exactly.
    You would need to be paid to live there, never mind paying that sort of money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

blackwhite wrote: »
    Interesting to look at it on Google Maps and see the difference on streetview between 2009 and 2014. Hell of a lot of security equipment added after he bought it

Apparently the windows are bulletproof...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Gerry Hutch might buy it for a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

Not sure if this has already been posted, Felix Dennis's house for sale for 4million - it's certainly unique!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/107618687?fbclid=IwAR16DLrtw7y7oijZMhx6RpEltRodN0W4WBmnJ2VlJUYoAF9PkEKbcOsvThk#/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Not sure if this has already been posted, Felix Dennis's house for sale for 4million - it's certainly unique!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/107618687?fbclid=IwAR16DLrtw7y7oijZMhx6RpEltRodN0W4WBmnJ2VlJUYoAF9PkEKbcOsvThk#/

The fake library (picture 11) wants to make me cry!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I actually really like that aside from one or two features. Like the fake library with the bookshelf wallpaper :p At least it is unique anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The fake library wants to make me cry!

For a poet and publisher, that's a really odd thing to have. It's not like he was illiterate and just wanted to make it look like he was into books. Unless there's a specific meaning behind it - they're images of shelves from a particular library or collection or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I quite like it too, not 4M's worth (if I had 4M) but I like a lot of the features. All that timber in the pool area is a bit excessive and makes the pool look very small. The cottages are nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It's like something you see in a Theme Park plus the Pool is tiny given the size of the Room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

For a poet and publisher, that's a really odd thing to have. It's not like he was illiterate and just wanted to make it look like he was into books. Unless there's a specific meaning behind it - they're images of shelves from a particular library or collection or something.

Poet, publisher, planter of trees and eater of magic mushrooms it appears. :D

He also owned Mandalay Estate on the Caribbean island of Mustique, which was built and originally owned by David Bowie

it has a bigger pool.

Exterior-22.jpg?fit=800%2C535&ssl=1

https://www.mustique-island.com/villa/mandalay/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Another CAB seized property has come to the market. It would be a very brave soul who bought this at any price, never mind the 400k asking.

2 Raleigh Square, Crumlin, Dublin 12

I love the quote on the wall in the gym.

"If you want to learn more, keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut".

KevRossi wrote: »
    I love the quote on the wall in the gym.

"If you want to learn more, keep your eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut".

When frivolous inspirational quotes become deadly serious threats.

I love it. Apart from a few strange superficial design choices, the underlying building is superb.

He's even written quite a sweet poem about it

I BUILT MYSELF A HOUSE OF WOOD…
    I built myself a house of wood
    Where once an apple orchard stood.
    On stormy nights I lay in bed
    While rafters moaned above my head.

They wept aloud for limbs long lost,
    For buds pinched out by early frost,
    For wicker baskets piled with fruit,
    For phantom branch and withered root.

I caulked the roof and rafter beams,
    But still they whispered in my dreams,
    They spoke of rising sap and wood:
    — And then, at last, I understood.

This spring I planted out a score
    Of apple saplings by my door.
    Now stormy nights my rafters chime
    To cider choirs and nursery-rhyme.

Love the poem!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you would need shares in Ronseal

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I've a headache looking at that. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pic 22 looks useful though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've a headache looking at that. Jaysus.

Me too!! :eek:

Not for me, thanks!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

When frivolous inspirational quotes become deadly serious threats.

I dunno, it's a refreshing change from the twee "Live, Laugh, Love" decals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Interesting house in Cork posted on the Journal property magazine - https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-6-the-hermitage-sallybrook-glanmire-co-cork/3167693

Mostly looks very nice BUT... is that a frosted glass window between the home bar and the weirdly elongated shower enclosure? :eek: :D

Check out the wall on the left with all the bottles on shelves:
    NzMxN2ZjMDFlOWE2YTI1YjI1YTJjOGEyYTIxOGNiZGKeAc7m2N5FhMr2wYp51DvAaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzcvMi83MjVmMTZkNzRhMzNiODkxNmJhZDYzZTRkOTkxOWM1MS5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

and then the wall at the end of the shower room:
    MDY2NjljMzk2OGQ4NjAyZGI5MGIxNDFlNjE2OTNhMzYN2Qkqsp14gUpFDHMq90p8aHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2EvNS9hNWQ5MzIzZTI4NmRlZGY4NmNkOGU3MGQ3MzNjOWIxMy5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Guessing it's the swimming pool shower? Still weird!

Do they have 4 ovens too?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

nibtrix wrote: »
    Mostly looks very nice BUT... is that a frosted glass window between the home bar and the weirdly elongated shower enclosure? :eek: :D

Nice enough furniture and then you have a home made bar made from a couple of pallets that looks like someone in Transition Year built it.

That pool shower room looks dirty, especially with the cleaning products up against the glass wall. I assume they did that to let in some light but it looks poxy and is a bad design.

What's the white thing in the right hand corner corner against the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Looks like 2 ovens, an in-built coffee maker and a warming drawer. I'm having kitchen envy!

The shower room is nearly as big as the pool!

554313.png
    Looks like 2 ovens, an in-built coffee maker and a warming drawer. I'm having kitchen envy!

The kitchen is gorgeous (as in the units themselves). Not so gone on other bits in the house.

Look at the length of the wall in pic 15 (with the bookcases against it) compared with the same wall in pic 16. These deceptive estate agents pics will hopefully go out of fashion as people learn how to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

God... When looking through the first few pictures of that all I was thinking was the fake tan brigade would be all but invisible there, their tangerine tans would blend in perfectly with the lighting, especially the cinema and games rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's a glass door from the sitting room into the shower too for some reason.

Advertisement