Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It looks like the landlord got greedy and turned the communal laundry and storage area for the flats above into a new "apartment". I'm guessing there may have been a washing machine and dryer in that bedroom at one stage. Grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a regular door in the bedroom but in order to close it you would have to move the drawers beside the bed to the other side, which would cover part of the internal window and leave the bed rather too close to the heater. So it looks better for the photos to have the arrangement they have. Meanwhile you can't open the chest of drawers at the foot of the bed even if you decided to leave the door permanently open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

This country will never improve until people who are responsible for this type of thing are jailed how could you charge another human or possibly humans to live in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

How about this one..

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-dooish-newtown-cunningham-co-donegal/3411081

Clearly one of those unfortunates suffering from the mica issue, but why not call it for what is is. The ad states that it requires remedial work, It needs to be knocked down.

The original owners have given up, it would seem. A very sad state of affairs, was a lovely house.

How about this one..

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-dooish-newtown-cunningham-co-donegal/3411081

Clearly one of those unfortunates suffering from the mica issue, but why not call it for what is is. The ad states that it requires remedial work, It needs to be knocked down.

The original owners have given up, it would seem. A very sad state of affairs, was a lovely house.

Presumably if it's Mica you'd be able to get the 100% redress? So you're buying a shell for now, but you'll have a (rebuilt) house in a couple of years?

• Advertisement

How about this one..

Are they hoping they'll nab someone who doesn't watch the news? Very sad state of affairs is right beautiful houses but they are essentially death traps now.

Presumably if it's Mica you'd be able to get the 100% redress? So you're buying a shell for now, but you'll have a (rebuilt) house in a couple of years?

Would you fancy parting with a 100k and then waiting on the state to sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Allinall

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Are they hoping they'll nab someone who doesn't watch the news? Very sad state of affairs is right beautiful houses but they are essentially death traps now.

They say in the very first line of the ad that it has obvious structural defects.

Would you fancy parting with a 100k and then waiting on the state to sort it?

Depends, what is the "real" value of the house. If I was getting a big discount, then yeah, I'd probably give it a whirl.

Allinall wrote: »
    They say in the very first line of the ad that it has obvious structural defects.

It does but they are understating a bit to say the least that needs to be completely knocked down and started again.

• Advertisement

Depends, what is the "real" value of the house. If I was getting a big discount, then yeah, I'd probably give it a whirl.

True fair play you're braver than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭wassie

Allinall wrote: »

Again the agents are 'delighted'...
    We are delighted to welcome to the market this large 5 bedroom (1 ensuite) detached country home showing clear signs of structural defects...which could potentially collapse at any moment and kill the occupants.

Actually at present its a 90% redress scheme*, with owners kicking in 10%
    *Excluding new planning
    *Excluding new engineering
    *Excluding alternative accommodation costs
    *Excluding increased construction costs due to price rises and regulatory changes
    Any takers still?

True fair play you're braver than me.

Not really, it's just a choice you make. If you like the area/house, but have somewhere you can live for the time being, and are getting a good discount, then it makes sense.

Likewise, if the house will be worth a lot more once it's fixed, then it'd be a handy little investment for someone. Likely bring a better return than many traditional investments (depending on market value and current sale price, of course).

wassie wrote: »
    Again the agents are 'delighted'...
    We are delighted to welcome to the market this large 5 bedroom (1 ensuite) detached country home showing clear signs of structural defects...which could potentially collapse at any moment and kill the occupants.
    Actually at present its a 90% redress scheme*, with owners kicking in 10%
    *Excluding new planning
    *Excluding new engineering
    *Excluding alternative accommodation costs
    *Excluding increased construction costs due to price rises and regulatory changes
    Any takers still?

Yeah but we all know it'll be a 100% scheme and council-based costs will be waived. A like-for-like house will be built. They're not gonna try and charge people for planning permission and kick off all the protests again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Isn't it only 90/100% for owner occupiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Holiday homes and other buildings like community centres are not included. Would their own insurance pay anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

looksee wrote: »
    Holiday homes and other buildings like community centres are not included. Would their own insurance pay anything?

no i'm in the business and there is no recourse against the insurance, or the builder.
    the people who are responsible are the quarry who produced the blocks.
    in both mayo and donegal the quarries in question both went into liquidation a few years ago, so no one left to go after there.
    as coincidence would have i believe in both cases the original owners are now back up and running operating quarries in the same locations but under the flagship of new companies, isn't that lovely for them!

and they are flat out busy producing blocks. in mayo rumor has it that the quarry in question has won the contract to dispose of all the pyrite riddled blocks from the houses that have to be knocked down, there is a certain logic to filling up the big ''pyrite-ie'' hole in the ground that they originally came from with the rubble that is now all thats left of them.

farmchoice wrote: »
    no i'm in the business and there is no recourse against the insurance, or the builder.
    in both mayo and donegal the quarries in question both went into liquidation a few years ago, so no one left to go after there.
    as coincidence would have i believe in both cases the original owners are now back up and running operating quarries in the same locations but under the flagship of new companies, isn't that lovely for them!

and they are flat out busy producing blocks. in mayo rumor has it that the quarry in question has won the contract to dispose of all the pyrite riddled blocks from the houses that have to be knocked down, there is a certain logic to filling up the big ''pyrite-ie'' hole in the ground that they originally came from with the rubble that is now all thats left of them.

Unbelieveable good old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The real value of the house wouldn't be much more than the value of the site before the house was built or whatever a site valuation in that location is nowadays.

The house needs to be knocked but a lot of the materials in the house could be salvaged and used in a new build if one was inclined to do so. It might seem like a huge effort but with the price of materials this year, it would probably be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The real value of the house wouldn't be much more than the value of the site before the house was built or whatever a site valuation in that location is nowadays.

The house needs to be knocked but a lot of the materials in the house could be salvaged and used in a new build if one was inclined to do so. It might seem like a huge effort but with the price of materials this year, it would probably be worth it.

true, and it could be a situation where planning is now much harder to get so that might be factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

true, and it could be a situation where planning is now much harder to get so that might be factor.

If you rebuilt exactly what was there, I don't think you'd need planning. Open to correction on that though.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile at Fairfield in Galway, Gerry bought this for $385K https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/9-sylvan-close-newcastle-galway-city/4370042

He's been busy adding a couple of rooms https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-9-sylvan-close-fairlands-greenfield-co-galway/3422789

Some quick maths
    7 rooms x €600/month x 12 = €50,400 annual income
    ROI: €50,400/€365,000 x 100 = 13.8%

Gerry's probably not going to be popular with the neighbours, but I think he'll be ok with that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This place is a bit of a roller-coaster journey. It all looks a bit crappy, with removed skirting boards, the en-suite with no door, the glue on the walls from where there wardrobe presumably used to be.

And then you hit photo number 19...

I was not expecting that.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/lisnalea-bailieborough-co-cavan/4510653

Their grandkids can then carry on the family business by making more dodgy blocks out of the filled in hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Tabnabs wrote: »
    This place is a bit of a roller-coaster journey. It all looks a bit crappy, with removed skirting boards, the en-suite with no door, the glue on the walls from where there wardrobe presumably used to be.

And then you hit photo number 19...

I was not expecting that.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/lisnalea-bailieborough-co-cavan/4510653
    What do you call the things inside church doors with Holy water to bless yourself?

There's one on each pillar at the gate in that house.

What do you call the things inside church doors with Holy water to bless yourself?

There's one on each pillar at the gate in that house.

You need to ask a font of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Meanwhile at Fairfield in Galway, Gerry bought this for $385K https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/9-sylvan-close-newcastle-galway-city/4370042

He's been busy adding a couple of rooms https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-9-sylvan-close-fairlands-greenfield-co-galway/3422789

Some quick maths

Gerry's probably not going to be popular with the neighbours, but I think he'll be ok with that.

Does it count as ensuite if the shower is actually IN the bedroom?

Let me check that for you......

...Gerry says definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Some quick maths

Gerry wrote:
    Note..Utality charge per year 250 euro Per Person.
    Haeting and electricity are extra.

I wonder what "utality" he's covering for €1750 per year? You'd think the "haeting" would be covered at that price. And that's assuming single occupancy in each room, could be more than that he's getting!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wonder what "utality" he's covering for €1750 per year? You'd think the "haeting" would be covered at that price. And that's assuming single occupancy in each room, could be more than that he's getting!

Bins I'd say. Probably whips by once a month in the wife's Citroen Picasso and loads it up with the bins.

I kid you not, I know (knew) of a landlord on the SCR in Dublin that did that. Filthy fecker too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You'd think the "haeting" would be covered at that price.

I bet he baets the haeting right up. You'd be aetin the leccy at that raete.

Advertisement