Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That's style is taken from French architect Le Corbusier, everything from exterior to interior design is borrowed from him.
    it's an old design, the furniture was probably modern when the house was built

some examples https://www.google.com/search?q=farnsworth+house&sa=X&hl=en-US&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=VcwgxoDOOTjN_M%252CExf3M6qO5YiqIM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSpN_eM48I965ZbRhXFOFlYEJE0cA&ved=2ahUKEwj-k_yYw7LxAhWOQkEAHWmCD04Q9QF6BAgQEAE&biw=1280&bih=607#imgrc=VcwgxoDOOTjN_M

I'm maybe picking you up wrong but farnsworth house is Mies Van der Rohe not Le Corbusier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I'm maybe picking you up wrong but farnsworth house is Mies Van der Rohe not Le Corbusier?

I stand corrected! i was too quick with my google search

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Every room is square and white
    Beige carpets throughout
    To get to the family room you need to walk through one of the bedrooms
    I've seen better kitchens in a bedsit

Yours for just €3.75m!
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/tallon-house-4-golf-lane-foxrock-dublin-18-d18-t2n6/4510655

I know there is some historical artistic quality to this place and the location is top drawer but seriously, 3.75m for something you could probably recreate with shipping containers is a bit extreme

It looks like the outside of the RTE Radio Centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

It looks like the outside of the RTE Radio Centre!

Well funny you should say that, as the television centre building was designed by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah that Foxrock one there's a lot you can do to fix the aesthetic. This picture in particular reminds me of every school or doctor's surgery that was built in the late 70s/early 80s;
    https://photos-a.propertyimages.ie/media/5/5/6/4510655/aa859dc7-4b87-486c-804c-75f654ac9e81_x.jpg

A bit of creative thinking on the outside; maybe pull up those slab, create a covered outdoor space, repaint the steel; and inside remove all of the orange wood.

You're 90% there.

As it's on the golf course though you might be very constrained in terms of what you're allowed to do with the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭wassie

d-rendering-giant-wrecking-ball-swings-direction-small-house-expects-problems-mortgage-crisis-family-private-115153740.jpg

Yeah the Foxrock house seems to be fairly polarising alright.

Here's what I'd do to fix the aesthetics - in case you weren't sure which side of the fence I was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Foxrock house is dated now but when it was built in the 70s Id say people were amazed, it would have looked futuristic back then. I like it but it feels like its more a house suited to a site with a great view of a beach or mountains than stuck in a garden. As someone said looking out those giant windows in winter would be miserable.

3.75m is some wedge though, its clearly aimed at property developers thinking about that 2 acre garden next to the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sitting indoors looking out at the rain and wind when surrounded by trees is a great view to have.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

wassie wrote: »
    Meanwhile at Fairfield in Galway, Gerry bought this for $385K https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/9-sylvan-close-newcastle-galway-city/4370042

He's been busy adding a couple of rooms https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-9-sylvan-close-fairlands-greenfield-co-galway/3422789

Some quick maths
    7 rooms x €600/month x 12 = €50,400 annual income
    ROI: €50,400/€365,000 x 100 = 13.8%

Gerry's probably not going to be popular with the neighbours, but I think he'll be ok with that.

Jeepers!
    And you can't see the inside because of ongoing renovations.
    I somehow imagine stuff being bodged in left, right and centre to increase the income from the house that started out as a five bed, two bath, but is now going to be seven bed, seven bath! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

Looking at the layout, guests in bedroom 3 can say good morning to the guests in bedroom 2 as they are running to the jacks and back again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-rathmore-19-grosvenor-road-rathgar-dublin-6/2569652

This place is just odd. It looks more like some sort of gentlemans club than a home. It's decidedly dated looking. The handle's for the reclining armchairs look like wooden spoons (I don't know what must have gone on here), it's sparse and devoid of personality yet there's a heated outdoor swimming pool and I can't for the life of me figure out what picture 23 is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-rathmore-19-grosvenor-road-rathgar-dublin-6/2569652

This place is just odd. It looks more like some sort of gentlemans club than a home. It's decidedly dated looking. The handle's for the reclining armchairs look like wooden spoons (I don't know what must have gone on here), it's sparse and devoid of personality yet there's a heated outdoor swimming pool and I can't for the life of me figure out what picture 23 is all about.

Looks like pic 23 was a Montessori or play school set up in the garden to me.

Edit.. might be totally unrelated but could it be this place?
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/family-feud-pits-parents-against-their-five-sons-26014985.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Kamili wrote: »

Yeah it has what looks like the coat hangars they use in schools.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/family-feud-pits-parents-against-their-five-sons-26014985.html

It is. They had something like 40 grandchildren so it was probably for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tallaghtjoe

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/family-feud-pits-parents-against-their-five-sons-26014985.html[/QUOTE]

A successful business but a sad family outcome at the end of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-bushfield-villa-bushfield-terrace-donnybrook-dublin-4/3423449

Look at this thing…€595,000 and it looks like it hasn’t had as much as a lick of paint or a new lightbulb installed in it for the last 25+ years. Quite nice on the exterior, but the interior looks like it hasn’t had €20 invested in its upkeep for the last 2+ decades. Those pictures could have been taken in 1995 they’re so dated. It looks completely neglected and unloved, like the owner is devoid of any emotion or feeling. Its blandness is a testament to the vacuousness of the owner’s life. How can a house like this look so uncared for and dated? Sparsely decorated to the point where it seems like it’s been uninhabited for years, and what looks like hand me down furniture, or worse still for someone who clearly comes from money, dare I say the house has been furnished with items from a charity shop. I would imagine from looking at it that the heat hasn’t been turned on in years either.

I bet it’s some tightarse from Cavan or somewhere like that who inherited it and sat alone in it at night because he has no friends counting his pennies as he’s such a mean and miserly person with no joy in his life. It’s definitely a man, as no woman would allow a house to be presented like this. Not a photo or a personal momento in sight, no memories to commemorate because their life is so empty. He’s waited until it’s accumulated enough value for him to flip it for maximum profit and move back to Cavan to live alone in another house he probably also inherited. There he’ll sit in his crying chair at night, writing what he believes to be “poetry” whilst lusting over the girl who makes sandwiches in the deli in the local petrol station without ever asking her out as she might want to go for dinner in a restaurant and that would mean parting with some of his inherited wealth. He claims to be woke and right on but only as a sneaky way of getting close to the women he objectifies but could never have. He will die alone rich but empty, and leave his riches and property to the local poetry society, or to some woman he fancies but is completely out of his league and who also despises him. His life is likely as empty and devoid of character as the interior of this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have you thought of writing a novel, maybe set in Caven? Or do you maybe want to buy it and you are trying to get the price down? I've seen plenty worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-bushfield-villa-bushfield-terrace-donnybrook-dublin-4/3423449

Look at this thing…€595,000 and it looks like it hasn’t had as much as a lick of paint or a new lightbulb installed in it for the last 25+ years. Quite nice on the exterior, but the interior looks like it hasn’t had €20 invested in its upkeep for the last 2+ decades. Those pictures could have been taken in 1995 they’re so dated. It looks completely neglected and unloved, like the owner is devoid of any emotion or feeling. Its blandness is a testament to the vacuousness of the owner’s life. How can a house like this look so uncared for and dated? Sparsely decorated to the point where it seems like it’s been uninhabited for years, and what looks like hand me down furniture, or worse still for someone who clearly comes from money, dare I say the house has been furnished with items from a charity shop. I would imagine from looking at it that the heat hasn’t been turned on in years either.

I bet it’s some tightarse from Cavan or somewhere like that who inherited it and sat alone in it at night because he has no friends counting his pennies as he’s such a mean and miserly person with no joy in his life. It’s definitely a man, as no woman would allow a house to be presented like this. Not a photo or a personal momento in sight, no memories to commemorate because their life is so empty. He’s waited until it’s accumulated enough value for him to flip it for maximum profit and move back to Cavan to live alone in another house he probably also inherited. There he’ll sit in his crying chair at night, writing what he believes to be “poetry” whilst lusting over the girl who makes sandwiches in the deli in the local petrol station without ever asking her out as she might want to go for dinner in a restaurant and that would mean parting with some of his inherited wealth. He claims to be woke and right on but only as a sneaky way of getting close to the women he objectifies but could never have. He will die alone rich but empty, and leave his riches and property to the local poetry society, or to some woman he fancies but is completely out of his league and who also despises him. His life is likely as empty and devoid of character as the interior of this house.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. It's being presented as a blank canvass. It looks clean and you could move in without too much work. If you're selling an empty house its a good idea to put some furniture so you get an idea of the size of the room. We don't know what the house looked like before it went up for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

Have to say myself it's not bad at all, it's in need of modernization which you could do at a room at a time.

The sitting room looks modern. Hallway looks the worst and a new tile job needed in the kitchen.

Get that wood off the dining room ceiling as well which probably should be the sitting room.

The brown doors need upgrading as well and the red carpet replaced with wooden floor. Bedrooms are grand.

It would be a godsend for anybody with zero interest in gardening but who likes a completely blank canvas for redecoration. Worked with somebody who lived on the little road, very convenient.

• Advertisement

I stand by what I said.

I’ll also say if the owner invested in a professional house-stager (big in the US, I’m sure there has to be one at least here) they’d easily add significantly to the value/asking price of that house. But I’m assuming they’d be too tight to do so.

looksee wrote: »
    Have you thought of writing a novel, maybe set in Caven? Or do you maybe want to buy it and you are trying to get the price down? I've seen plenty worse.

I said the exterior was nice. But to say I was disappointed and underwhelmed by the interior is an understatement. Some are saying “blank canvas”, and that’s fine if that’s their opinion. I just see an unloved house inhabited by the most parsimonious of owners. I’d say they wouldn’t spend Christmas so to speak. Why gave a tv in your house when you could come home at stare at your magnolia walls for the night? Why read a book when you could discover you require reading glasses and an expensive visit to the optician? It’s utterly devoid of character. It’s a building, not a home.

I think you're being a bit harsh here. It's being presented as a blank canvass. It looks clean and you could move in without too much work. If you're selling an empty house its a good idea to put some furniture so you get an idea of the size of the room. We don't know what the house looked like before it went up for sale.

I’d bet it looked exactly as it is now tbh.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Oh I think I kinda remember that case. That's sad. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've bought several houses in my time and much prefer to see what I am getting, and do my own fixes than the nonsense 'staging' that goes on, according to lots of Youtube videos, in the US.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

BER F says to me that I would need to bring a lot to make it livable without even thinking of the blank canvas

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And it has the all important location, location, location.

It would be a godsend for anybody with zero interest in gardening but who likes a completely blank canvas for redecoration. Worked with somebody who lived on the little road, very convenient.

It’s a lovely house (on the outside) in a lovely part of town. But honestly if you told me it was uninhabited for years I’d believe you.

If that was “staged” (I see sonn Myron don’t has already objected to this word but it does work) properly and modernized even slightly it would likely fetch significantly more in the current market. It actually saddens me that someone could live in a house like this without anything to suggest it’s a loving, living home. It’s just so……empty.

Whilst some can imagine a property redeveloped and modernized etc. (I’d include myself in this group), many can’t. Most young buyers/families etc. in my experience want turnkey solutions and not a cold shell like this. I really feel the owner is missing a trick here.

What this really says to me is they simply don’t care enough about it and how it’s a reflection of themselves.

I've bought several houses in my time and much prefer to see what I am getting, and do my own fixes than the nonsense 'staging' that goes on, according to lots of Youtube videos, in the US.

A valid point for sure for some, but not all buyers. There’s a reason show houses exist on new build developments and you’re not just presented with an empty box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It looks completely neglected and unloved, like the owner is devoid of any emotion or feeling. Its blandness is a testament to the vacuousness of the owner’s life. How can a house like this look so uncared for and dated? Sparsely decorated to the point where it seems like it’s been uninhabited for years, and what looks like hand me down furniture, or worse still for someone who clearly comes from money, dare I say the house has been furnished with items from a charity shop.

I bet it’s some tightarse from Cavan or somewhere like that who inherited it and sat alone in it at night because he has no friends counting his pennies as he’s such a mean and miserly person with no joy in his life.

The rooms in that house have been rented out for years, that's why there's no personal touch in it. Excellent location to rent. Quiet and safe, no anti-social behaviour, quiet neighbours.

Possibly rented out to nurses or staff in the hospital. Meaning you have little or nor hassle with renters as they don't want to kick off. That area had hundreds of those types of houses up until the 90's. I partied in plenty of them. Owner is probably cashing out for various reasons. If anything, it's a bit underpriced.

Advertisement