Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

miamee wrote: »
    "In need of cosmetic refurbishment" - understatement of the year

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-83-fortlawn-avenue-blanchardstown-dublin-15/3422679

83 sold for €143,500 on June 11th
    83A sold for €173,500 on June 11th

So someone is trying to flip the houses very quick. Which is their good right. But for Chrissakes spend €20K on top of all that, clean the place out, patch up the basics, fix the rads, fence off and clear the garden and paint all the walls white.

They could go for €300K each in the current climate if the heat and light worked.

It's a pity about them as they looked to be well looked after in 2009. But if they are looking for a quick profit then worth chancing their arm I suppose.

looksee wrote: »
    Have you thought of writing a novel, maybe set in Caven? Or do you maybe want to buy it and you are trying to get the price down? I've seen plenty worse.

I read his first sentence and clicked the link expecting to see a drug den. It was fine.
    A valid point for sure for some, but not all buyers. There’s a reason show houses exist on new build developments and you’re not just presented with an empty box.

Can you point out to what you think is irredeemable or even bad with that place. The furniture is rental furniture. That's all.

You won't get cheaper than this in Dublin. €100,000 for an actual 'bare canvas'. I'm actually tempted to look at this if it's still up there in 3-4 weeks. The basics like condition of the building and location are excellent. Only negative is light ingress. But it's over 120sqm of space at the same time.

New front door won't be cheap. Refit one of the toilets as a shower, get the bare minimum of furniture in from the charity shop and you can work on the rest over time.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/duplex-2a-chamberlain-court-richmond-avenue-drumcondra-dublin-3/3421903

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

KevRossi wrote: »
    The rooms in that house have been rented out for years, that's why there's no personal touch in it. Excellent location to rent. Quiet and safe, no anti-social behaviour, quiet neighbours.

Possibly rented out to nurses or staff in the hospital. Meaning you have little or nor hassle with renters as they don't want to kick off. That area had hundreds of those types of houses up until the 90's. I partied in plenty of them. Owner is probably cashing out for various reasons. If anything, it's a bit underpriced.

A lot of assumptions there.

I’d agree on one thing in a roundabout way - it’s underpriced, or rather not maximizing its potential because of how it’s been (or rather not) decorated and furnished.

A modest investment (relative to the asking price) would in my opinion lead to a significantly higher selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You won't get cheaper than this in Dublin. €100,000 for an actual 'bare canvas'. I'm actually tempted to look at this if it's still up there in 3-4 weeks. The basics like condition of the building and location are excellent. Only negative is light ingress. But it's over 120sqm of space at the same time.

New front door won't be cheap. Refit one of the toilets as a shower, get the bare minimum of furniture in from the charity shop and you can work on the rest over time.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/duplex-2a-chamberlain-court-richmond-avenue-drumcondra-dublin-3/3421903

that seems too cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

The rooms in that house have been rented out for years, that's why there's no personal touch in it. Excellent location to rent. Quiet and safe, no anti-social behaviour, quiet neighbours.

Possibly rented out to nurses or staff in the hospital. Meaning you have little or nor hassle with renters as they don't want to kick off. That area had hundreds of those types of houses up until the 90's. I partied in plenty of them. Owner is probably cashing out for various reasons. If anything, it's a bit underpriced.

probably rented out to ButtersSuki ;-)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Great size, price and location but it would be a bugger to get natural light into it.

That is surely office space.

fvp4 wrote: »

it is currently but it has planning permission to convert it to a 2 bed duplex.

fvp4 wrote: »

5ejnrf.jpg

• Advertisement

5ejnrf.jpg

You spent a bit too long on that for comfort. :p

that seems too cheap.

Possibly going in cheap to start a bidding war. Top space if you need a decent sized man cave. You can fit a gym in there as well.

I would say definitely underpriced to garner interest. But maybe it's to do with ethos of seller/estate agents for all we know.

humberklog wrote: »
    Great size, price and location but it would be a bugger to get natural light into it.

Who cares about light when you have that location, no garden to keep and very very nice accommodation in a prime spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You'd also need planning for the change of use from commercial to domestic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Oh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Well that explains why you like the south side property so much then. Funny as I suggested it was furnished from a charity shop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

How? Isn't it illegal to call a room without a window a bedroom here? There's only one window in the whole property.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,460 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is mention of created windows opening into a light well, possibly related to the staircase - I did not study it closely but that was the impression I got.

The 'unloved' D4 house and the future Duplex are well under priced.

Even if you left the latter as commercial you'd get a very good yield at that cost.

• Advertisement

That's quite common with older Church of Ireland families where I live.

They can also have eagles on their pulpit lectern, maybe there's more to it than I thought.

Still tacky as fcuk on entrances though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

They can also have eagles on their pulpit lectern, maybe there's more to it than I thought.

The eagle is the symbol for the evangelist St. John. Maybe that's what it is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say the 100k asking price will spark a bidding war between small builders/developers looking to covert it to the 2 bed duplex it has planning permission for and then flipping it. We should get to see the finished job on here when its for sale or rent in a few months time .

At 120sqm it is priced at 833 euro per square metre which is ridiculously under priced. In comparison 2 bed apartments of 70sqm in Drumcondra are asking circa 350k or 5,000 per square metre with ongoing management fees of 2k+ per annum

mikhail wrote: »
    How? Isn't it illegal to call a room without a window a bedroom here? There's only one window in the whole property.

Do you understand what "it has planning permission " means? They have submitted a proposal to the council to change it to residential. That proposal includes details of the change. If the details don't meet the requirements for a residential premises the permission won't be granted. As it has been granted one can only assume the planning application took that into account.

Does anybody know how to look up the planning permission

The add mentions:

Planning Reference WEB 1232/20

Can't find that on the web ( except a reference to the MyHome post).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Does anybody know how to look up the planning permission

The add mentions:

Planning Reference WEB 1232/20

Can't find that on the web ( except a reference to the MyHome post).

Go to myplan.ie, click on the map viewer and paste the ref number (without the WEB) into the search box

Well that explains why you like the south side property so much then. Funny as I suggested it was furnished from a charity shop too.

I was using it to point out how cheaply you could get a liveable apartment in Dublin if you were looking to get out of renting. Nothing wrong with charity furniture, I've bought plenty of stuff there, got plenty for free in skips as well over the years. As long as it matched up and is tasteful.

My first apartment I bought a mattress and slept on the floor for 2 months. Used cardboard boxes as a chest of drawers and got a garment rack for the shirts. Got couch, armchairs and table out of a skip and in a 2nd hand shop. Happy days they were too.

I was using it to point out how cheaply you could get a liveable apartment in Dublin if you were looking to get out of renting. Nothing wrong with charity furniture, I've bought plenty of stuff there, got plenty for free in skips as well over the years. As long as it matched up and is tasteful.

My first apartment I bought a mattress and slept on the floor for 2 months. Used cardboard boxes as a chest of drawers and got a garment rack for the shirts. Got couch, armchairs and table out of a skip and in a 2nd hand shop. Happy days they were too.

Sounds like the happy beginnings of my parents' home when they first set up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Do you understand what "it has planning permission " means? They have submitted a proposal to the council to change it to residential. That proposal includes details of the change. If the details don't meet the requirements for a residential premises the permission won't be granted. As it has been granted one can only assume the planning application took that into account.
    That's a lot of words for "I don't know".

Cheers to whoever found the planning. The relevant quote is "The commercial unit would cease to exist and its ground floor would become the main living space of a two bed apartment with living room to front and kitchen to rear while the existing stairs would be boxed into a corridor with WC to rear. At basement level two bedrooms would be provided – one double and one single with windows into the newly created light well and bathroom to rear." https://webapps.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00870315.pdf. Sounds grim.

Advertisement