Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

KevRossi wrote: »
    I was using it to point out how cheaply you could get a liveable apartment in Dublin if you were looking to get out of renting. Nothing wrong with charity furniture, I've bought plenty of stuff there, got plenty for free in skips as well over the years. As long as it matched up and is tasteful.

My first apartment I bought a mattress and slept on the floor for 2 months. Used cardboard boxes as a chest of drawers and got a garment rack for the shirts. Got couch, armchairs and table out of a skip and in a 2nd hand shop. Happy days they were too.

This is nonsense and dangerous nonsense at that. This one office that will not sell for anything like 100k, don't be fooled, and would cost at least another 100k to carry out the planning application is not an example of "how cheaply you could get a liveable apartment in Dublin". Because cheaply getting a liveable apartment in Dublin is an absolute unicorn, it does not exist and there is zero chance of anyone doing it, even if they live on the floor and take furniture from charities that need them and only eat baked beans and pray to Padre Pio every night. Game over.

200K for a 2bed apartment in that area of Dublin seems pretty cheap....

bubblypop wrote: »
    200K for a 2bed apartment in that area of Dublin seems pretty cheap....

If it sells for €100k.

This is not likely.

Not likely in the sense that the Virgin Mary will appear before Jeffrey Donaldson and proclaim him 'a very naughty boy' live on The View or England winning the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mikhail wrote: »
    That's a lot of words for "I don't know".

Cheers to whoever found the planning. The relevant quote is "The commercial unit would cease to exist and its ground floor would become the main living space of a two bed apartment with living room to front and kitchen to rear while the existing stairs would be boxed into a corridor with WC to rear. At basement level two bedrooms would be provided – one double and one single with windows into the newly created light well and bathroom to rear." https://webapps.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00870315.pdf. Sounds grim.

It was me that found the planning. You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

wassie wrote: »
    That house is by renowned late Architect Ronnie Tallon. Theres another house of his for sale in Galway also for €1.2m

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/chestnut-lane-dangan-co-galway/4502980

Both houses are like watching an episode of grand designs

• Advertisement

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Both houses are like watching an episode of grand designs

Love that show too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If that's all they're asking for for a 4 bed in Donnybrook, they can't be much a tightarse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,123 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Obligatory Ronseal joke...

• Advertisement

Great as a children's play house!

Still can't over the price for the two houses in fortlawn never mind the state they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

170€ per week for all that ?

Whats the catch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

170€ per week for all that ?

Whats the catch ?

It's in Galway :)

Ah no I agree, I think it looks like good value. Yeah it's very wooden but I love it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It has beds. Did I mention that it has beds?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's in Galway :)

Ah no I agree, I think it looks like good value. Yeah it's very wooden but I love it

It’s also only being advertised as a short term let (week to week. Like a holiday home or Airbnb) as opposed to a residential letting. So it’s more “who’d stay in a house like this for a week?” than “who’d live in a house like this?”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

It’s also only being advertised as a short term let (week to week. Like a holiday home or Airbnb) as opposed to a residential letting. So it’s more “who’d stay in a house like this for a week?” than “who’d live in a house like this?”

According to the ad the minimum lease is 6 months! And you have to give a detailed self description.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I love that Galway chalet/shed, it's very cosy looking and I like the eclectic accessories and lights.

I love that Galway chalet/shed, it's very cosy looking and I like the eclectic accessories and lights.

Do like it myself, very tranquil looking

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

All looks normal enough until you get to the bathroom in picture 12 :eek:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-304-kildare-road-crumlin/3422995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ugh, concrete and PVC sums up the front of the house and I bet the yard at the back is just concrete too.

The sitting room ceiling looks water damaged, it's discoloured and buckling in places. Possibly from whoever was peeing all over one of beds upstairs (pic 11).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

According to the ad the minimum lease is 6 months! And you have to give a detailed self description.

Woops! I missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

2ndcoming wrote: »
    This is nonsense and dangerous nonsense at that. This one office that will not sell for anything like 100k, don't be fooled, and would cost at least another 100k to carry out the planning application is not an example of "how cheaply you could get a liveable apartment in Dublin". Because cheaply getting a liveable apartment in Dublin is an absolute unicorn, it does not exist and there is zero chance of anyone doing it, even if they live on the floor and take furniture from charities that need them and only eat baked beans and pray to Padre Pio every night. Game over.

Yes it is. 2 bed apartments in Drumcondra are asking 350k for 65-70sqm. The office for sale is far bigger at 120sqm. If you could buy it for 100k and do it up with another 100k then that would be a bargain to live in Drumcondra over buying a much smaller apartment for 350k. Only problem is that office will definitely be selling for more than 100k. But even if it went for 150k you could still have a very large duplex for 250k all in, that is still much cheaper than a pokey apartment that has annual ongoing management fees of 2k a year every year.

If you were a first time buyer struggling to buy a property close to town then that office would be a really good way of creating a sizeable home for much cheaper than anything on the market. But because of its low asking price it will definitely attract interest from small builders looking to do it up themselves and then flip it for a tidy profit. The ad on Daft has already been viewed over 8,000 times in just a few days so it will be undoubtedly be selling for more than 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

KevRossi wrote: »
    I was using it to point out how cheaply you could get a liveable apartment in Dublin if you were looking to get out of renting. Nothing wrong with charity furniture, I've bought plenty of stuff there, got plenty for free in skips as well over the years. As long as it matched up and is tasteful.

My first apartment I bought a mattress and slept on the floor for 2 months. Used cardboard boxes as a chest of drawers and got a garment rack for the shirts. Got couch, armchairs and table out of a skip and in a 2nd hand shop. Happy days they were too.

Sure, but the point I was making that the house we were referring to was not exactly primed or dare I say it “staged” for maximum selling price. I maintain that a more modern finish and upgrading would yield a return far in excess of the investment required to do so.

The house were referring to looks particularly unloved and in-invested (if that’s a word) in. It’s a building, not a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Weepsie wrote: »
    If that's all they're asking for for a 4 bed in Donnybrook, they can't be much a tightarse

What? You can’t conflate someone’s asking price with their frugality.

A professional estate agent could I suspect achieve a higher asking price, but the frugal owner would then have to give up a % of the selling price - prob why they are selling it themselves, too tight to pay for an expert’s advice. Again, better photos, some minor improvements in both the quality and quantity of the furnishings would significantly enhance the eventual selling price IMO.

Edit: apologies, I was confusing this house with another I was looking at recently that was marked as being a private sale. My point on conflating the asking price and frugality still stands however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Youre neck would be wrecked trying to watch tv in the living room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Jesus Christ, there is at least one unsettling thing in almost every photo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

'David Ross Estate Agents your local property experts are delighted to present new to the market no. 304 Kildare Road for sale.

This charming 3 bedroom extended mid terrace home is presented in good condition but in need of refurbishment throughout.'

Delighted, so they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Amsterdam red light district inspiration?

Advertisement