Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Concrete and old style cinema curtains, the Child of Prague statue in the bedroom is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dubbrin

They call that a Mazot in France/the alps. Very popular. You're still in someone's garden though...

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Both houses are like watching an episode of grand designs

Grand Designs 1997.

I'm sure it was (and still is to a point) beautiful in its day but it looks a bit dated now.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Grand Designs 1997.

I'm sure it was (and still is to a point) beautiful in its day but it looks a bit dated now.

Yes not in recent times I do agree. There was a family few years ago tried recreate ferris bewler house on stilts. They ran out of money and only did a few bits of glass, rest covered with plywood. Looked awful 😂

Larsso30 wrote: »
    Yes not in recent times I do agree. There was a family few years ago tried recreate ferris bewler house on stilts. They ran out of money and only did a few bits of glass, rest covered with plywood. Looked awful ��

I saw that episode. The walls were all ply as they didn't have the money to plaster it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

Concrete and old style cinema curtains, the Child of Prague statue in the bedroom is a bonus.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...lin-12/4508643

What's the deal with all security steel window guards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

SCOL wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...lin-12/4508643

What's the deal with all security steel window guards ?

your link is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

It the link with the red curtains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

We put our house up for sale recently. Being nervous about it appearing in this thread was not something I factored in but I'm checking every day. So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yes it is. 2 bed apartments in Drumcondra are asking 350k for 65-70sqm. The office for sale is far bigger at 120sqm. If you could buy it for 100k and do it up with another 100k then that would be a bargain to live in Drumcondra over buying a much smaller apartment for 350k. Only problem is that office will definitely be selling for more than 100k. But even if it went for 150k you could still have a very large duplex for 250k all in, that is still much cheaper than a pokey apartment that has annual ongoing management fees of 2k a year every year.

If you were a first time buyer struggling to buy a property close to town then that office would be a really good way of creating a sizeable home for much cheaper than anything on the market. But because of its low asking price it will definitely attract interest from small builders looking to do it up themselves and then flip it for a tidy profit. The ad on Daft has already been viewed over 8,000 times in just a few days so it will be undoubtedly be selling for more than 100k.

Which was exactly my point. It will sell for 200k minimum plus you have another 100k minimum to go into converting it, plus you have to have somewhere to live for the 6 months or whatever that work will take.

So it is not in any way an example of "how cheaply you could get a liveable apartment in Dublin", because there is no such thing. The original post was very much of the 'if they could just stop eating avocados and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps' ilk - which is dangerous nonsense to spout in the middle of a genuine housing crisis.

• Advertisement

We put our house up for sale recently. Being nervous about it appearing in this thread was not something I factored in but I'm checking every day. So far so good!

One way to eliminate this anxiety is to post up the link yourself, that way the fear of it happening will be gone. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

One way to eliminate this anxiety is to post up the link yourself, that way the fear of it happening will be gone. :D

And criticise the hell out of it, and the rest of us will then defend it!

Just kidding, best of luck with the sale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Tis very red alright, and needs new decor, looks like a house that was cared for though, unlike some of the other recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

135 m², the house itself is pretty modest too. You can see the chunk of garden the extension has taken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is that his principal residence?
    Can he still run in Dublin West in the next election?
    Or is this a sign that his next stint as Taoiseach will be his last and he'll hand over to Simon?
    Remember what thread you heard it on first folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Vlad's house is very nice, perfect garden if you have no kids and are just chilling or having people over. Always was a great area even back in the day, was so close to town. My aunt lived in Lombard Street West surrounded by lots of members of the Jewish community. We occasionally did their shopping for them on the Sabbath as they weren't allowed to handle money. Lovely people, and so exotic to us with their Sabbath routines, customs, piece of the Torah (Mezuza) on the hall door (that's how you knew....), kosher shops and butchers. Most moved out to Terenure and Templeogue and eventually back to Israel. Donal Fallon had an episode on his Three Castles podcast about this place, Little Jerusalem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

josip wrote: »
    Is that his principal residence?
    Can he still run in Dublin West in the next election?
    Or is this a sign that his next stint as Taoiseach will be his last and he'll hand over to Simon?
    Remember what thread you heard it on first folks.

AFAIK his partner bought it, not him. In any case you can live wherever you want and run in any constituency. Sometimes it’s used as a dig against you though. Neither of the two front runners in the DBS bye election live in the constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It's stunning.

Its not really.
    Im not too far away, its a nice area but hes paying for the address not the house. The guards have also been around a lot recently, think all current and former taoisigh get 24h security so need to set up a hut outside? Not much space for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

retalivity wrote: »
    Its not really.
    Im not too far away, its a nice area but hes paying for the address not the house. The guards have also been around a lot recently, think all current and former taoisigh get 24h security so need to set up a hut outside? Not much space for that

Not much space on that road for a hut plus the roof is pretty small if you wanted to get a couple of secret service snipers up there :pac:

There used to be a hut outside Berties house in Drumcondra back in the day. Famously Alan Shatter had Gardai outside his house protecting him but he wouldnt let them use his toilet. You would really have to be some special kind of d1ck to expect Gardai to be protecting you and then not even let them use the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Not much space on that road for a hut plus the roof is pretty small if you wanted to get a couple of secret service snipers up there :pac:

There used to be a hut outside Berties house in Drumcondra back in the day. Famously Alan Shatter had Gardai outside his house protecting him but he wouldnt let them use his toilet. You would really have to be some special kind of d1ck to expect Gardai to be protecting you and then not even let them use the toilet.

Off topic, but that was crying out for a tabloid headline: "Shatter Shutters Sh1tter".
    And yes, what a d1ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Off topic, but that was crying out for a tabloid headline: "Shatter Shutters Sh1tter".
    And yes, what a d1ck.
    Anyone who looks down their noses at people working for them is a dick, and denying people access to a toilet is especially ugly. Ivanka Trump and her husband were at something similar. For a while, the secret service lads were trekking up to use the garage toilet at the Obamas' place nearby. Then, after someone forgot to flush, that privilege was withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/kilcreene-lodge-kilkenny-r95-vka4/4507479

If only I was a wealthy man. I'd set up a little craft brewery there in honour of it's former inhabitants!

0b168a84-43ad-4086-8ffb-2772f648746b_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

That’s one of the nicest houses I’ve ever seen! Just stunning. Wonder is there a flood risk though, being so close to the river?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

That house is unbelievable. 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Stunning house. It looks very presidential. I'm not sure if the Nore is known for flooding but if it's stood there since the 1700's it'd probably be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

It's nice but I would have expected it to be nicer to be honest, bedrooms and living room look small. Thought they would have gone for something detached rather than mid terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You would really have to be some special kind of d1ck to expect Gardai to be protecting you and then not even let them use the toilet.

An apt description for Shatter to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭KaneToad

tobsey wrote: »
    AFAIK his partner bought it, not him. In any case you can live wherever you want and run in any constituency. Sometimes it’s used as a dig against you though. Neither of the two front runners in the DBS bye election live in the constituency

Lest we forget this property tycoon:

https://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=8788

Advertisement