Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

looksee wrote: »
    Those grand houses are lovely to look at and admire, but I would not feel the least desire to live in one of them Ilive rural so I have a decent sized house for a price you would not get an apartment in Dublin, and its perfect size, feels like my kind of scale.

Same here. I like looking at them, but then start thinking about the cleaning and the upkeep. But I guess if I could buy one in the first place, I would have staff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Same here. I like looking at them, but then start thinking about the cleaning and the upkeep. But I guess if I could buy one in the first place, I would have staff! :D

It's all fine and dandy when you have a family at home but then they fly the nest and you and your OH (if you have held onto them too!) suddenly have all this unnecessary extra room to rattle around in.
    I see it with my home place too.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ridiculous price. Love pic 4 :eek::cool:

Pic 4 reminds me of The Secret Garden.

I'd love that, I have serious house envy.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

It's all fine and dandy when you have a family at home but then they fly the nest and you and your OH (if you have held onto them too!) suddenly have all this unnecessary extra room to rattle around in.
    I see it with my home place too.

That's when you need the extra room!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

dmn22 wrote: »
    Just seen this house in Leitrim

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-beagh-dromahair-co-leitrim/3411961

Is it just me or this sound extremely dodgy?

Also included in the sale are all the new appliances in the cottage ie. cooker, fridge, TV, also included are some tools, electric equipment, 20ft steel shipping container, caravan , 4x Seater Golf cart , trailers, Land Rover jeep, VW Toureg 2006 diesel , Toyota RAV 4 2005 petrol, Suzuki Jimny , Ford Transit Tipper truck 2005 diesel, 6 Ton Bedford Dumper diesel , 3 Ton Nissan Mini Excavator / Digger Diesel

I bought a house in 2009 and the car in the driveway was thrown in. Seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Was it any good?

Bare plywood kitchen is tacky enough (thank you Dermot Bannon) but it looks like whoever did it managed to take any cosyness out of it whatsoever.

What made me want to post it here was the bathroom, though... (pic 8). You have to walk through the shower to get to the toilet..?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-6-windmill-road-drogheda-co-louth/3431805

The asking is also €87k higher than this, 3 doors down in the same terrace..

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-3-windmill-road-drogheda-co-louth/2756289

I have been following Drogheda property for a long time, and I can't see a butchered house on that road selling for 225k, current madness or not.

EDIT: Also, first bedroom only has the door in and out.. is that a fire safety thing? or is that allowed? I always thought bedrooms had to have a window big enough to get out of? or am I mistaken? (the bedroom is in the video if you scroll down the page).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tabnabs wrote: »
    A very unusual property, an old train station, including the signal cabin and goods sheds.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ballinlough-station-ballinlough-co-roscommon/4511817

The railway line is still active including freight at night and runs right by it, they've done a good job not having it in the pics!

There was a large goods setup here hence the buildings and signal box away from the main line.

Was it any good?

Nissan Primera. A feckin tank of a yoke. I used it for three years and was glad of it.

There's an awful lot of work needed on the cheaper house and you wouldn't likely have any change out of €87k if you went about doing the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Pyr0 wrote: »
    This is what 1600 a month can get you in Dublin city.

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/studio-apartment-3-avondale-road-phibsborough-dublin-7/3433165

Boils my blood reading muck like this

"REDMOND PROEPRTY GROUP are delighted to bring this Studio apartment in 3a Avondale Road to the letting market.

3a presents itself in pristine condition with open plan living, one bedroom, kitchen area and separate bathroom."

Some example photos incase it gets taken down, or god forbid, rented.

ODg0MWIxM2UzZWMxYTE3MDI4ODJhOGJkOGQxNjYwNjayH0yBeAc1pu0rYHVVKs4jaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1L2IvMi9iMjJiZjE3MDhhNTdiODZkZDgzNjYzZjBhNTY2ZDllNi5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

Says €600 a month on the ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Pyr0 wrote: »
    This is what 1600 a month can get you in Dublin city.

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/studio-apartment-3-avondale-road-phibsborough-dublin-7/3433165

Boils my blood reading muck like this

"REDMOND PROEPRTY GROUP are delighted to bring this Studio apartment in 3a Avondale Road to the letting market.

3a presents itself in pristine condition with open plan living, one bedroom, kitchen area and separate bathroom."

Some example photos incase it gets taken down, or god forbid, rented.
    It wouldn't be for me, but I clicked the link out of curiosity and the advert says rent is €600 - not €1600 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

nibtrix wrote: »

Yeah just seen that now myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

nibtrix wrote: »
    Snap! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

It definitely had 1600 on it earlier when I clicked through to it, must have been a typo they have since corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

This is a new one for me, a "lean-to" bedroom. Which is in fact the house's only bedroom. The Dublin property market never ceases to amaze.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-59-harty-place-portobello-dublin-8/3434260

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

This is a new one for me, a "lean-to" bedroom. Which is in fact the house's only bedroom. The Dublin property market never ceases to amaze.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-59-harty-place-portobello-dublin-8/3434260

That is bizarre! Is the unfinished mezzanine the bedroom?

I don't understand the industrial floor covering, I presume it's industrial lino. Still, it would suit a single person with very few possessions and a healthy salary who wanted to be near town.

The old outdoor loo would be handy for the lawnmower. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

That is bizarre! Is the unfinished mezzanine the bedroom?

I don't understand the industrial floor covering, I presume it's industrial lino. Still, it would suit a single person with very few possessions and a healthy salary who wanted to be near town.

The old outdoor loo would be handy for the lawnmower. :pac:

It's the floor, kept looking at it and couldn't figure out what I hated, horrific floor.

Very, very weird house. Where is the bedroom? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

An absolute gem!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

The "lean-to" is the bedroom.

A "lean to" is generally speaking an additional, often ramshackle structure that is built onto the back wall of a house and has a roof whose rafters lean against that wall. I've seen them before on this type of old cottage, generally used for storage or as a sun room.

In this case however, it's the main bedroom, which was why I was highlighting it :) . Why would having a bedroom in a lean-to be a bad idea? Well firstly the awkward layout, where you'd have to walk through the bedroom to access the bathroom or backyard. Also the lack of privacy where the kitchen window looks straight into the bedroom. However, the main issue is the thin, plastic roof, wooden exterior wall and the complete lack of any sort of central heating :)

Mm-I5-ZDdk-ODcx-M2-Ix-YTVh-ZWM2-Nz-E2-YTk3-Mm-U4-OWZh-Ym-RGA90e-SIA0m5c-M9-X-0-MFw-a-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-M.webp
    OWY3-MDlk-Yz-M1-Mj-Rm-ODM0-Nz-U1-ZTQx-Mm-Vm-Y2-Ix-OWM2-ZTh-FJJEq-IE4-RG89u-Gz9-Uveqpa-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z.webp
    Zjg0-ZDY2-Mm-Ri-Ym-Nj-Zm-Ez-ZDM5-Yz-Fh-MDEz-ZGRk-Mzk3-NWWoz-ED99ucuub73-O9-Cm-HT7-Da-HR0c-HM6-Ly9z-M.webp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The first three words of the estate agent spiel on the ad 'An absolute gem!'. I feel sorry for that fella's girlfriend when they get engaged. It'll probably be a lump of dog shít on the ring.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nothing like falling asleep to the gentle patter of rain on...checks notes...Perspex roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

humberklog wrote: »
    Nothing like falling asleep to the gentle patter of rain on...checks notes...Perspex roof?

Forget the rain, imagine the sun beating in on Summer mornings waking you up at half 4. You'd need a four poster bed covered in black out blinds to sleep in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

L1011 wrote: »
    Someone trying to get away very, very quickly?
    Ian Usher style?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

"will particularly appeal to those who are location driven" - Yeah coz that's the only good thing the house has going for it! Christ on a bike you'd freeze to death in that "bedroom" in the winter.

Forget the rain, imagine the sun beating in on Summer mornings waking you up at half 4. You'd need a four poster bed covered in black out blinds to sleep in there!

T'wud be the Winter that would more concern me with that kind of roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How much longer are agents going to mess about with those ridiculous cameras that supposedly make places look enormous? Once your eye has adjusted to it its obvious how small places are by the degree of distortion. Like the kitchen in the windowless house.

edit, yes, sorry, lenses, not cameras.

How much longer are agents going to mess about with those ridiculous cameras that supposedly make places look enormous? Once your eye has adjusted to it its obvious how small places are by the degree of distortion. Like the kitchen in the windowless house.
    They don't always need to use the fisheye lens,

809463-tardis-wallpapers-1920x1200-download-free.jpg

672234-widescreen-doctor-who-wallpaper-tardis-all-doctors-1920x1080.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Bare plywood kitchen is tacky enough (thank you Dermot Bannon) but it looks like whoever did it managed to take any cosyness out of it whatsoever.

What made me want to post it here was the bathroom, though... (pic 8). You have to walk through the shower to get to the toilet..?

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-6-windmill-road-drogheda-co-louth/3431805

I have been following Drogheda property for a long time, and I can't see a butchered house on that road selling for 225k, current madness or not.

EDIT: Also, first bedroom only has the door in and out.. is that a fire safety thing? or is that allowed? I always thought bedrooms had to have a window big enough to get out of? or am I mistaken? (the bedroom is in the video if you scroll down the page).

In fairness now I think that's quite nice. Yes it's not cosy as such but it's clean and modern. I've no idea about the price of property in Drogheda but overall that's a nice update of an old house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In the house in Portobello, the bedroom is the Mezzanine. The 'lean-to' is a cover over what was the yard with a patio door on it, I doubt it's meant to be any kind of room. It's meant as a sun room, but it should have at least a double glazed ceiling with blinds on it for it to be workable. Handy for drying clothes and sitting there on a cold, sunny day but unusable as a standard room. It's an unfinished house, just patched up to look half-decent. Lack of central heating would be my worry. Spiral staircase doesn't conform to regs AFAIK if you want to rent it out, but I could be wrong. You need €50K to finish that off properly.

I'm very sure that house is owned by a friend of a friend. If it is, he's a hipster twat who is endlessly tweeting about the HSE and the housing crisis. The irony in him flogging that, but as I said to other people, we'd all sell at €100K above asking if the market was preparing to pay that. I'll text a couple of people this evening to see if it's him, but he definitely lives in one of those cottages.

Advertisement