Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    I assumed so given the first picture on the ad appears to be the living room, then if there's two other rooms it must be at least a 2-bed.

Sitting room is part of the kitchen I guess.

Call it what you want there is a girl living rent free while 4 other pay for everything. 280 for sharing a bed, 400 or more for the one who has her own bed. There are 4 people living there already and fifth on the way. That is 6 in total now.

Seen this kips in Manchester, London, Dublin and even Naas. All similar setup with one clever chap or girl renting a house or apartment and getting enough people in to not to worry about the bills and rent as it is all covered by the poor "tenants".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

wonski wrote: »
    Sitting room is part of the kitchen I guess.

Call it what you want there is a girl living rent free while 4 other pay for everything. 280 for sharing a bed, 400 or more for the one who has her own bed. There are 4 people living there already and fifth on the way. That is 6 in total now.

Seen this kips in Manchester, London, Dublin and even Naas. All similar setup with one clever chap or girl renting a house or apartment and getting enough people in to not to worry about the bills and rent as it is all covered by the poor "tenants".

Not necessarily- the advert indicates that it is currently a 4 person share

The new tennant is expected to share the whole property with three others girls - one Japanese one Korean and one Spanish. With the exception of the Japanesse girl who will be sharing the double bed - we don't know which of the remaining two girls occupy the 'single room'

The person occupying the 'single room' could be sleeping in a broom closet for all we know from the description

The bedroom as advertised shows one double bed and one single bed.

The other possibility is that English is not the first language of the person placing the advert - and the new tennant is replacing an existing flatmate (nationality unknown) making the total number back up to 4 tennants in total ..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not quiet as bad but that last one reminded me of this
    https://www.daft.ie/laois/bungalows-for-sale/portlaoise/no178a-crann-nua-portlaoise-laois-1668829/

Someone has built what is essentially a large conservatory on the side of their terraced house in an estate. Notice the name, "178A".

Great spot if you ever wanted to live your life totally exposed to the public footpath 6 feet from your large windows.

It’s a commercial unit with permission to change to residential.

Looks like it was a shop
    2-F8-AE9-F1-FBD0-44-CE-BDD3-B45-E8179-B725.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s a commercial unit with permission to change to residential.

Looks like it was a shop
    2-F8-AE9-F1-FBD0-44-CE-BDD3-B45-E8179-B725.jpg
    With all those easy access ramps, it looks more like it was a health centre of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭blackwhite

With all those easy access ramps, it looks more like it was a health centre of some kind.

Unlikely to be a health centre with the Coke fridge and HP freezer in the window! :D

If you look on google maps there's payzone stickers on the side windows as well.

Former corner shop by the look of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

blackwhite wrote: »
    Unlikely to be a health centre with the Coke fridge and HP freezer in the window! :D

If you look on google maps there's payzone stickers on the side windows as well.

Former corner shop by the look of it.

Whatever the use was its shocking that its now allowed as residential and the same price as an actual house in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Whatever the use was its shocking that its now allowed as residential and the same price as an actual house in the area.

You’d have to seriously question the local council if they allowed a change of use without mandating some serious alterations first (I.e walling up some of the glass!)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

€750 a month for this 'studio apartment'.. Looks about the right size to be a remodeled bike shed, not even large enough to have been a garage. The shed from a couple of weeks ago was probably larger than this place.

Njc3NWNjN2Q2MmUyYjgwNDYzZGQ4Y2UxNDRiMTM4MWae6V0QCpIzTkXI3SxjbIrpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvZS8xL2UxYTM4YjMyNTFjY2I0NjEwNTc3NzBhYmEzYWE3OTYxLnBuZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.png

MDcyNmY4Njk5MWRjYzM4NDBlZjkzZTg1NDliMjAzNmTCHKjNZtEnvQDOT9aRK5hmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvYy9hL2NhNDJhOWI4ZWFiYTI0ZTgwZDA0NjIxMDFmNTljZDQ1LmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

Mjc3Y2QzY2VlODdmNWFlOTM4YWVhNmIxYWYwYWYyODeIZ8eCHzCL4iMS8d_f5ogIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMC9jLzBjODBlNTBlNTZlN2I1ZWU1ODQ1N2QyYTE4Njk4Y2FlLmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

MDE0YThiYjMxMTVkOWMwNWMyNzM1NTMwZjcwMjMwZTfjnTJTxQ3ZQLf86y2NWR6xaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvYy8yL2MyYTE5MjYzMmY5MTI0ODQwMGIzYjVjYTk1ZmNmYTVmLmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    €750 a month for this 'studio apartment'.. Looks about the right size to be a remodeled bike shed, not even large enough to have been a garage. The shed from a couple of weeks ago was probably larger than this place.

Njc3NWNjN2Q2MmUyYjgwNDYzZGQ4Y2UxNDRiMTM4MWae6V0QCpIzTkXI3SxjbIrpaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvZS8xL2UxYTM4YjMyNTFjY2I0NjEwNTc3NzBhYmEzYWE3OTYxLnBuZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.png

MDcyNmY4Njk5MWRjYzM4NDBlZjkzZTg1NDliMjAzNmTCHKjNZtEnvQDOT9aRK5hmaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvYy9hL2NhNDJhOWI4ZWFiYTI0ZTgwZDA0NjIxMDFmNTljZDQ1LmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

Mjc3Y2QzY2VlODdmNWFlOTM4YWVhNmIxYWYwYWYyODeIZ8eCHzCL4iMS8d_f5ogIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvMC9jLzBjODBlNTBlNTZlN2I1ZWU1ODQ1N2QyYTE4Njk4Y2FlLmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

MDE0YThiYjMxMTVkOWMwNWMyNzM1NTMwZjcwMjMwZTfjnTJTxQ3ZQLf86y2NWR6xaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL21lZGlhbWFzdGVyLXMzZXUvYy8yL2MyYTE5MjYzMmY5MTI0ODQwMGIzYjVjYTk1ZmNmYTVmLmpwZ3x8fDcwMGx8fHx8fHx8.jpg

Is it literally the bed ? No other facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is it literally the bed ? No other facilities?

Apparently there's a mini hob and mini fridge... probably stashed under the bed that you take out as you need?
    No kitchen as such, and no mains tap.
    Breaks lots of laws, but sure it'll be rented out tomorrow if not already...

Wouldn't have thought someone who owns a house like that would be stuck for a few bob, but it shows the sheer greed all the same.
    Some landlords simply don't give a funk about rules and regulations (let alone peoples lives) and just want more cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought someone who owns a house like that would be stuck for a few bob, but it shows the sheer greed all the same.
    Some landlords simply don't give a funk about rules and regulations (let alone peoples lives) and just want more cash.

Its a savage house, but someone has to pay to keep mummy in g&t's

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JP 1800

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

That's disgusting. Some poor bastard claustrophobic while the owners live in the lap of luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

No end to the greed in this country. Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

Stupid question probably but who would you inform about these types of places that clearly are breaking a law(s)? Would the PRTB only get involved if you had a tenancy in a place like this and not respond to advertised lettings? Would the council care?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

JP 1800 wrote: »

"But I'm helping the homeless loike"

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Apparently there's a mini hob and mini fridge... probably stashed under the bed that you take out as you need?
    No kitchen as such, and no mains tap.
    Breaks lots of laws, but sure it'll be rented out tomorrow if not already...

It’s greed at its finest. Actually found it on daft. You’re right the facilities must be under the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

JP 1800 wrote: »

Why you would stay in Ireland is beyond me, forget about the job situation, with a living situation like that I'd just leave, burning so much of your income on rent.

I'm living in Dusseldorf at the moment for the past few years.
    • Bigger population than Dublin,
    • Extensive public transport system well connected to other major European cities, monthly ticket is between 40 and 100 euros a month depending on how far you need to go in the region.
    • 2 major international Airports (Dusseldorf, Cologne and Dortmund, Eindhoven only around 1 hour away)
    • You do not need to own a car at all.
    • Cost of living (Eating out, shopping etc) is around 30-40% lower than Dublin.
    • Lots of parties, events and outdoor things to do that do not cost money to attend.

And your rent would be around half the price of something in Dublin as well.
    E.G.
    https://www.wg-gesucht.de/wohnungen-in-Duesseldorf-Pempelfort.6982643.html

680 euros a month cold rent for your own place, 85 square meters with balcony around 20 minutes from the City Center by public transport.

My own place is 580 euros a month cold, 60 square meters and slap bang in the center of town.

And Dusseldorf is considered expensive as a city in German terms, living in Essen would be even cheaper and it's only 30 minutes by train.

But it does just seem like people are being greedy on the basis of "helping the homeless" it's going to come to a head at some point.

Looking at this I'll look at moving almost anywhere else before I'd move back to Ireland :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/dublin-1/mountjoy-square-south-dublin-1-dublin-1046806/
    We are looking for.....
    Clean, Responsible, Friendly, No racist, Tidy, Gentle, Quiet, Reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

We are looking for.....
    Clean, Responsible, Friendly, No racist, Tidy, Gentle, Quiet, Reliable.
    • Shared Bedroom Ensuite €77 weekly
    • 5 people currently living in this apartment
    • Apartment is not owner occupied
    • Looking for males only

Gender fluidity anyone?

• Advertisement

That's disgusting. Some poor bastard claustrophobic while the owners live in the lap of luxury.

Tbh the house looks like a 1930s /40s semi- detatched build and fairly typical for that area. 'Lap of luxury' might be a bit if a misnomer - some of those houses have very poor insulation and not the best built imo. Whichever no one can know whether the house owner has a decent income or otherwise from the outside. Maybe grandmas and grandad pension is ****e - who knows. Would renting then be 'greed' ...

From the ad it's clearly targeted towards students as it states it's just minutes from UCD. More like something under the rent a room scheme.

As a student I lived in far worse ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbh the house looks like a 1930s /40s detatched build and fairly typical for that area. 'Lap of luxury' might be a bit if a misnomer - some of those houses have very poor insulation and not the best built imo. Whichever no one can know whether the house owner has a decent income or otherwise from the outside. Maybe grandmas and grandad pension is ****e - who knows.

From the ad it's clearly targeted towards students as it states it's just minutes from UCD. More like something under the rent a room scheme.

You lived in worse? It doesn't even have a kitchen. Where are they supposed to eat and wash their clothes?

You lived in worse? It doesn't even have a kitchen. Where are they supposed to eat and wash their clothes?

Yup a lot worse than that. Student accommodation is not all fancy apartments with swimming pools you know.

A lot of student accommodation is more like lodging b&b with little or no catering facilities. That's what the rent a room scheme usually provides afaik.

It doesn't say but there could be laundry facilities in the house? Otherwise do as many students do and use a launderette ....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The "No racist" sets off alarm bells, I mean who requests that ?
    Surely that goes without saying ... sure while you're at it stick these in there too :

* No child molestors
    * No murderers

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Would renting then be 'greed' ...

What kind of rent would you have been paying for "far worse"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The "No racist" sets off alarm bells, I mean who requests that ?
    Surely that goes without saying ... sure while you're at it stick these in there too :

* No child molestors
    * No murderers

:confused:

I read that and felt sorry for whoever posted this. My first thought was that anybody thinking of putting that on an ad does so because they know from experience that there are some rather unpleasant racists out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Tbh the house looks like a 1930s /40s semi- build and fairly typical for that area. 'Lap of luxury' might be a bit if a misnomer - some of those houses have very poor insulation and not the best built imo. Whichever no one can know whether the house owner has a decent income or otherwise from the outside. Maybe grandmas and grandad pension is ****e - who knows. Would renting then be 'greed' ...

31 St Thomas Road was sold for €650,000 5 years ago at a time credit would have been hard to get from the banks.
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-st-thomas-road-mt-merrion-dublin-south/2149346
    It probably would over the 1m mark now considering the market and money put into it:
    Money spend on new doors, windows, painting, removed handrails at front door (younger buyers most likely) and a landscaped front garden over the past few years thanks to google street view timeline ;)
    I'd reckon the inside has been modernised also, given the garage was renovated also (which is now what we're looking at).

31 St Thomas Road was sold for €650,000 5 years ago:
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/31-st-thomas-road-mt-merrion-dublin-south/2149346
    It's probably would over the 1m mark now considering the market and money put into it:
    Money spend on new doors, windows, painting, removed handrails at front door (younger buyers most likely) and a landscaped front garden over the past few years thanks to google street view timeline ;)
    I'd reckon the inside has been modernised also, given the garage was renovated also (which is now what we're looking at).

Well fair enough. That was cheap for a house in Dublin. Looks like it's done up to an Ok standard and at least the annex is block built and comes with centrsl heating and is a three minute walk from UCD. Not a bad area either. Don't think it's anything like the shack knocked up out of bits of wood a couple of weeks back.

If they've done all that modernisation perhaps used a mortgage to do so - then may need to try and rent the renovated annex to help cover at least some costs no? If I was a student - it certainly wouldn't be on the no list anyway....

check_six wrote: »
    What kind of rent would you have been paying for "far worse"?

Market rates funnily enough.
    the average rental figure for students in Dublin is higher at around €541 Rent in Dublin can vary widely from less than €483 per month for a shared room, up to €1,784 or more for a one bedroom unit in Dublin 2.

http://www.dit.ie/campuslife/studentsupport/costoflivingguide/

That close to UCD will mean student property to rent will be more expensive. Students save on bus fares etc. That's the way it's always been...

This as one example ...

Owner occupied house. Single en suite bedroom available for Digs style accommodation in Family home close to UCD for €720 a month ...

https://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/Foster-Avenue-Mount-Merrion-South-Co-Dublin/1046541/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Tbh the house looks like a 1930s /40s semi- build and fairly typical for that area. 'Lap of luxury' might be a bit if a misnomer - some of those houses have very poor insulation and not the best built imo. Whichever no one can know whether the house owner has a decent income or otherwise from the outside. Maybe grandmas and grandad pension is ****e - who knows. Would renting then be 'greed' ...

Grandma and Granpa's pension is ****e so they supplement it by charging some poor baxtard €750 a month to live in their shed. Yep still smells like rotten greed. Also Hrandma and Grandpa in that situation could likely live very comfortably by selling up the large house in Dublin and downsizing.

I doubt however this is what this is. Looks more like "Gregory" needs more cash to fund the kids ski trips.

Advertisement