Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Only started following this.

A bit weathered for a house constructed in 2001.
    Going by street view it was also for sale in 2009.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/drumwood-rossmore-cashel-tipperary/4465071

That shows signs of not being occupied for at least a decade, abandoned during the financial crisis by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

That shows signs of not being occupied for at least a decade, abandoned during the financial crisis by the looks of it.

23/23 Very important to show the camouflaged heating oil tank

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Same As wrote: »
    Another interesting property from Longford Daft.

Photo 6 & Photo 9 both particularly striking.

I finally got round to watching Chernobyl last week and those pictures looked like they were taken there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Wait until you see this beauty for rent!!!

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-74-abbeygrove-navan-co-meath/2866951

So what is wrong with it? Read the fine print, you cant do anything with it. Its like being stuck in a time warp with Austin Power from the 1970's.

So what is going on? Is it someone stuck in a nursing home or a child who wont let go? I reckon it would do your head in looking at those carpets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Wait until you see this beauty for rent!!!

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-74-abbeygrove-navan-co-meath/2866951

So what is wrong with it? Read the fine print, you cant do anything with it. Its like being stuck in a time warp with Austin Power from the 1970's.

So what is going on? Is it someone stuck in a nursing home or a child who wont let go? I reckon it would do your head in looking at those carpets.

You call that 'fine' print ? :D

Either way you are dealing with some sort of a bunny boiler who has issues with letting go, hence the significant discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The house is clean, very clean. With furniture of that vintage, you'd expect everything to be a bit ragged, table legs duck-taped together, cabinet doors slightly ajar.

I would say this was lived in by someone who was meticulous about maintenance and cleaning, but absolutely refused to change or replace something that didn't need to be replaced.

Looking dated doesn't matter, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I expect this is being rented out by the owner who has moved into a home or in with family and left explicit instructions with the agent.

It's kind of sad, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

You are right/ The walls have probably been repainted, but look at the of the kitchen door and the kitchen ceiling, is it some kind of black mold? The house must have been damp for years.

a4d7c2b8-4f1a-4553-96ec-5e10e225ff4f_x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

... I reckon it would do your head in looking at those carpets.

Or trying to watch Netflix on the ancient CRT television. You probably need a SCART connector to connect your "video player" to that TV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭josip

victor8600 wrote: »
    Or trying to watch Netflix on the ancient CRT television. You probably need a SCART connector to connect your "video player" to that TV!

It's a flat screen TV, what more do you want? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Same As wrote: »
    Another interesting property from Longford Daft.

Photo 6 & Photo 9 both particularly striking.

and photo 10 - the toiler seat stuck in the fireplace??

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/townhouse-main-street-granard-co-longford/1155255

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You are right/ The walls have probably been repainted, but look at the of the kitchen door and the kitchen ceiling, is it some kind of black mold? The house must have been damp for years.

I've no doubt the house would be somewhat damp after not being lived in for so long but I think those stains on the ceiling are from leaks in the roof or pipes in the attic rather than damp.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I've no doubt the house would be somewhat damp after not being lived in for so long but I think those stains on the ceiling are from leaks in the roof or pipes in the attic rather than damp.
    Yes, leaks that happened over a very long time, but appear to be very slight, otherwise the ceiling would be on the floor.

seamus wrote: »
    I would say this was lived in by someone who was meticulous about maintenance and cleaning, but absolutely refused to change or replace something that didn't need to be replaced.

Looking dated doesn't matter, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Are those new electric storage heaters on the wall!!! So what was there before, just the open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Looking at the door I was not sure if it was mould or smoke damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

PommieBast wrote: »
    Looking at the door I was not sure if it was mould or smoke damage...

I don't think it's smoke damage as the walls aren't particularly dirty. And there's no sign of smoke damage in any of the other pics.

If it is mould, it isn't too bad. A wipe of a cloth and the door/door frame would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,122 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fixer uppers or "in need of modernisation" properties happen all the time in the buying market, not so much in the rental. As for that rental property, as long as the heating, electrics and plumbing work, I'd put up with the less modern aesthetics. Just put any out dated appliances in storage and return them to position when leaving.

Spotted this gem today and thought of this thread.

You're welcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Confession of mine.
    Sometimes when I see these older houses for sale. I google the address and RIP.ie

• Advertisement

Confession of mine.
    Sometimes when I see these older houses for sale. I google the address and RIP.ie

I've done that before

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's like a time warp but the house itself actually has potential. Don't know limerick but I suspect it's not in a great area.

That's a fine whack of house for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Roll up, roll up...>€1,000 a month to live in a 1 bed cabin community in someones back garden in Killarney, County Kerry.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It's like a time warp but the house itself actually has potential. Don't know limerick but I suspect it's not in a great area.

Be a shame to do anything to it and its in a fantastic area.

That's a nice house, well looked after. A real visiting your grandparents vibe to it. :)

That's a fine whack of house for the money.

Dont get too excited wait until I tell you about flat roofs, how cold they are and how much and often they cost to repair....... A flat roof would put me right off, all I would see is a bucket load of misery based on experience.

Dont get too excited wait until I tell you about flat roofs, how cold they are and how much and often they cost to repair....... A flat roof would put me right off, all I would see is a bucket load of misery based on experience.
    If the price is low enough, relative to a similar house, the difference would pay for a new pitched roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's actually a fine looking well maintained house in my opinion.

It doesn't need much work or expertise to totally transform it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Flat roofs are easily redone properly, even the older torch on felt was good for 30 years and make your mind easy a lot of them have lasted longer.

There are way more options than felt available now for flat roofs, which by the way are not flat, the rain runs off them when they are done correctly.

No big deal to insulate the ceiling underneath either, whip down the slabs, insulate, re slab, skim.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement