Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

That's actually a fine looking well maintained house in my opinion.

It doesn't need much work or expertise to totally transform it.

Oh no doubt about that. Everything still looks new if you get me. Like a show house from that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Spotted this gem today and thought of this thread.

You're welcome :D

Its like walking into 1978. Mad to think that snazzy new builds today will look as dated as that in 40 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Its like walking into 1978. Mad to think that snazzy new builds today will look as dated as that in 40 years.

The Dermot Bannon era.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Same As wrote: »
    Roll up, roll up...>€1,000 a month to live in a 1 bed cabin community in someones back garden in Killarney, County Kerry.

"Wardrobe? Sure you don't need one of those.
    This place is so cold you can just wear all your clothes every day, will also save on space.
    Here's a €7 railing from Homestore & More instead"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Leaving aside the quality of the accommodation, I read that as Killiney first, and was thinking, thats steep, but Dublin prices I suppose. But fookin Killarney?

• Advertisement

Andrewf20 wrote: »

If they last that long

Spotted this gem today and thought of this thread.

You're welcome :D

Fine house.

Would make for a brilliant renovation. It's in immaculate condition for its age, the decor is just of that era.

I bought a 1970s house that had pink carpets in the toilets, green sanitary ware and all the other things that we think look daft now but the house was in superb condition.

Fine house.

Would make for a brilliant renovation. It's in immaculate condition for its age, the decor is just of that era.

I bought a 1970s house that had pink carpets in the toilets, green sanitary ware and all the other things that we think look daft now but the house was in superb condition.

I'd say the best of the best went into that place when it was built or last done up and anything that needed to be sorted since was sorted properly. One of the nicer areas here in Limerick too. Been advertised for quite some time

Fine house.

Coloured sanitary ware was a flash in the pan, literally!I was doing up my first house in the late 1980s and coloured sanitary ware was (still) going dirt cheap at the auction houses as the builders merchants were trying to offload unsold stock. It must have taken about a decade to shift it all!

Dont get too excited wait until I tell you about flat roofs, how cold they are and how much and often they cost to repair....... A flat roof would put me right off, all I would see is a bucket load of misery based on experience.

A properly done flat roof will rarely give any trouble.

I have a shed with a flat corrugated steel roof, and it's started leaking. I'm getting a felt torch on roof this month for it, and it's costing 3.5k all in. The roof is 40sq/m. I have a flat roof extension on my house, too, approx 35sq/m, and getting that done, from scratch, was 4.5k including fascia/soffit/etc. That's about 5 years old, I'd guess, but it still looks as new as the day it was put on.

I have been in houses were flat roofs needed work done to them 6 months after install, but it was just a bad job done. A fault of the installer, rather than the roof itself.

They're not really big money, in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Coloured sanitary ware was a flash in the pan, literally!I was doing up my first house in the late 1980s and coloured sanitary ware was (still) going dirt cheap at the auction houses as the builders merchants were trying to offload unsold stock. It must have taken about a decade to shift it all!

It's back again with interior designers willing to pay big bucks for complete sets in perfect or near perfect condition.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I have been in houses were flat roofs needed work done to them 6 months after install, but it was just a bad job done. A fault of the installer, rather than the roof itself.

They're not really big money, in the grand scheme of things.

I have seen too many of them visiting houses. Yes I am sure the result have been proven in demonstration models and trades school. There are too many jack the lads putting them up. For the sake of peace of mind and after cost, I think I would rather just get proper hip roof on and damn the expense on day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

It's back again with interior designers willing to pay big bucks for complete sets in perfect or near perfect condition.

My uncle had them in his house (mint green) and I have seen pink and they are awful. A pristine white bowl is a great source of confidence.

I have seen too many of them visiting houses. Yes I am sure the result have been proven in demonstration models and trades school. There are too many jack the lads putting them up. For the sake of peace of mind and after cost, I think I would rather just get proper hip roof on and damn the expense on day one.

You just need to get an actual roofer to do it. The fella that did my extension, is the same fella doing my shed. He's also the same fella that did my grannie's extension in the late 80s. If you can get an actual roofer, that just does roofing all day, every day, you're laughing.

A builder or handyman that does a bit of everything but will also do a roof if you ask him, is probably not the best place to be spending money.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,545 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Imagine coming home drunk to that.

Serious extension out the back though! Some of the interior choices a bit mad alright. That hallway would make you dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Serious extension out the back though! Some of the interior choices a bit mad alright. That hallway would make you dizzy.

That house looks like a traveller got an awful lot of money somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

This is local to me , a nice area.

Obviously the fixer-upper lost heart and gave up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

imagine coming home to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

That wallpaper contains a portal to another realm! :D

The house interior is lovely however, loads of natural light. The patio/ backyard is also nicely designed :)

Someone somewhere has a warehouse full of it and has engaged a designer to "make it fashionable" again.
    It will be out of fashion again just as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭wassie

8041ed85-cd55-4cf7-bcbe-2b4d830609c6_x.jpg

That would assume you don't end up in the back of an ambulance falling from the steps leading to the front door first....

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

wassie wrote: »
    That would assume you don't end up in the back of an ambulance falling from the steps leading to the front door first....

Yeah what's that about? Is it that the whole house is at that level above the ground? Why would it be built like that?

Yeah what's that about? Is it that the whole house is at that level above the ground? Why would it be built like that?

The owner has a phobia of wheelchairs .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you look at the neighbouring houses on streetview, it does appear that most of the houses have three or four steps up into them.

The council or whoever built them weren't thinking of old people or wheelchair users.

Looks like the estate is built on a hill, the houses to the right are built to be level with the ground of next door, instead of "stepping down" the house, they simply built it level and installed those silly steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I don't think under the building regs you're allowed to have that many steps without a handrail actually. Imagine trying to get a buggy up those?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

The bathroom and en suite here are great examples of colourful ware.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-seatown-road-malahide-co-dublin/2621509

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

tscul32 wrote: »
    The bathroom and en suite here are great examples of colourful ware.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-seatown-road-malahide-co-dublin/2621509

that colour is either terrible or absolutely inspired.

Advertisement