Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

Is that a human head?

546500.png

The "head" isn't even the most bizarre thing in that picture. Look at the toilet door!
    Whar lunatic would put a stable styled door into the bathroom!?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lujan wrote: »
    The "head" isn't even the most bizarre thing in that picture. Look at the toilet door!
    Whar lunatic would put a stable styled door into the bathroom!?!

I think that might be a cupboard/hot press, the actual door is on the left of the original photo. The head is a dead plant, there are lots of them around the property particularly in the front porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

miamee wrote: »
    I think that might be a cupboard/hot press, the actual door is on the left of the original photo. The head is a dead plant, there are lots of them around the property particularly in the front porch.

That makes just a little more sense now.
    Probably should have gone through all the photos before outing myself as an idiot! Too late to ninja delete/edit haha

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lujan wrote: »
    That makes just a little more sense now.
    Probably should have gone through all the photos before outing myself as an idiot! Too late to ninja delete/edit haha

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Saw this beauty on daft today. Asking three quarters of a million for a house on Cork Street, Dublin 8. I'll describe the decor as interesting and modern and just leave it at that...

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-10-huxley-crescent-cork-street-the-coombe-dublin-8/2942544

Surrounded by 8 cctv cameras no less. Funny that.

Hello, can I speak to Nidge please ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Hello, can I speak to Nidge please ??

The Coombe is within reach ! Yeah its across the f*cking road :rolleyes:

This house is basically on Cork street and behind it is a very busy chipper and off-license.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,432 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

D3V!L wrote: »
    The Coombe is within reach ! Yeah its across the f*cking road :rolleyes:

This house is basically on Cork street and behind it is a very busy chipper and off-license.

sarcasm is very hard to determine from just text. are you being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

sarcasm is very hard to determine from just text. are you being sarcastic?

Literally "within reach" they should have said. No one in their right mind would advertise a house as being right beside a hospital. Especially a busy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,432 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Literally "within reach" they should have said. No one in their right mind would advertise a house as being right beside a hospital. Especially a busy one.

it says "within easy reach", which is correct. It doesn't say across the road or next door because it isnt. maybe there is some nuance of language I am missing here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

maudgonner wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-ballinahalla-moycullen-co-galway/2935283

With a bit of investment (and a lot of insulation) I think this house could be amazing...but there is something about it that makes it feel like the ideal setting for a horror film. I'd say there's a 90% chance everyone who lived there would wind up being killed by an axe murderer. And someone has very probably already fallen to their death from that broken balcony...

It looks like giant Streptococci crawling about under the plaster of the interior walls.

• Advertisement

Unless they're pitching it towards investors with nurses/doctors on their mind. My parents live in Beaumont and that's a big selling point- that and airport/ M50.

Although imagine "pulling" a nurse in Coppers and she brought you back to that house!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

humberklog wrote: »
    Unless they're pitching it towards investors with nurses/doctors on their mind. My parents live in Beaumont and that's a big selling point- that and airport/ M50.

Yeah, I lived in the apartments right at the entrance to Beaumont Hospital for a few years. Absolutely no issue living near a busy hospital, and while I worked all the way over in Clonskeagh at the time, lots of other residents worked in the hospital, and were no doubt very happy with the convenient location.

Yeah, I lived in the apartments right at the entrance to Beaumont Hospital for a few years. Absolutely no issue living near a busy hospital, and while I worked all the way over in Clonskeagh at the time, lots of other residents worked in the hospital, and were no doubt very happy with the convenient location.

There's also a pilot project being rolled out at the moment where the upstairs and downstairs of fairly normal 3 bed semis that are converted into s/c flats.
    My parent's neighbour (widowed and living alone) had it done. The house is in Elm Mount (if you want to get the idea of the type of house it's being done to). She was approached by some government housing body with the proposal. She loves it and indeed it is a nurse living on the 1st floor now.
    Her house conversion was designed by Dermot Bannon and although I don't think it's going to be on his RTE programme there were camera crews there now and again.

That Nidge gaff would probably be ideal for such a conversion. But at €750k? Hmmm, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I stayed in a bedsit one night across from the Mater Hospital. Fcuked if I'd like to live in such a location. Sirens throughout the night etc. I found it a horrible location.

My childhood dream: An abandoned house with its own sweet shop:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/end-of-terrace-house-16-mount-assumpta-ballina-co-mayo/2916543

546518.jpg

546519.png

546520.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-17-charleville-road-rathmines-dublin-6/2897315

For €1.6 million I can't quite wrap my head around this place. It's not completely antiquated looking. Neither is it modern, there are elements of hippiness and the sleeping quarters look kind of odd.

546523.jpg

546524.jpg

546525.jpg

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-17-charleville-road-rathmines-dublin-6/2897315

For €1.6 million I can't quite wrap my head around this place. It's not completely antiquated looking. Neither is it modern, there are elements of hippiness and the sleeping quarters look kind of odd.

Nice enough house, but the price is driven by three things Location, Location and finally location.

My childhood dream: An abandoned house with its own sweet shop:

'God be with the days...'

And it must have been in use as a shop until relatively recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

And it must have been in use as a shop until relatively recently.

I lived close enough to there 10 years ago but can't remember it. It wouldn't be the nicest area in Ballina so I wasn't down that way too often :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only a non-drinker could think that a spiral staircase without a handrail is a remotely sane idea.

Could you imagine trying to climb into bed with six Guinness in your belly? Or worse, rush out of the bed and down the spiral dying for a pee.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Only a non-drinker could think that a spiral staircase without a handrail is a remotely sane idea.

Could you imagine trying to climb into bed with six Guinness in your belly? Or worse, rush out of the bed and down the spiral dying for a pee.

At least there's two chairs for an audience to watch you fall down it.

546535.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

546441.jpg

That wardrobe at the end of the hallway is freaking me out now. You just know thats where the scary clown with the sharp knives is in hiding ready to pounce

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gary550

I was thinking the same myself, a few jars and that would be a neck injury

Years ago a childhood friends parents did the same to their gaff only their one was going from the second floor to the attic out over the main stairs so at the highest point it was about a 15 foot drop down onto a flight of stairs. They also had the brainwave of leaving it without a handrail. No idea if anyone ever took a tumble from it as they moved out about 6 months later..

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

I was thinking, how many times would I fall down that in the middle of the night, while going for a piss, before I smashed the thing to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Re: that rathmines house - Pick one style and stick to it ffs.
    A mess of different Asian/Modern/Classic Irish redbrick styles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,121 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Wouldn't be an issue. You wouldn't get back into the house anyway with those steps at the front.

Kitchen and bathrooms are quite nice. Garden is absolutely stunning.

Everything else I'd rip out and re-do. What is with the weird raised level in the front living room?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Everything else I'd rip out and re-do. What is with the weird raised level in the front living room?!

It's styled after a Japanese or Korean room. There are a lot of "asian" touches around the house however Asian's tend not to have this type of stuff in their houses so I'm guessing it's owned by someone who spent time in Asia as an expat or a very homesick Asian!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Arthur45

The Asian interior is too colorful and stairs in the middle of the room... hum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

SuperS54 wrote: »
    It's styled after a Japanese or Korean room. There are a lot of "asian" touches around the house however Asian's tend not to have this type of stuff in their houses so I'm guessing it's owned by someone who spent time in Asia as an expat or a very homesick Asian!

Its the former Arts council director's home, who 'spent some time in Asia'

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/former-arts-council-director-s-colourful-rathmines-home-for-1-65m-1.4473005

Advertisement