Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Garden Shed

Options
  • 22-04-2018 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is possible to move a wooden garden shed. The shed measures 8 foot by 5 foot. I had hoped to have it dismantled and move it to another location in the garden but the advice was as it was nailed together rather than using screws this was not possible. So I bought another timber shed and placed it in a more suitable location in the garden with a view to dismantling the old one and having it taken away. However, now that the old shed is emptied I could find another use for it and figure that if it was moved about 3 to 4 feet forward from it's existing location it would suit this need. It is not possible to get any kind of machine into the garden to move it so I would be relying on people power!. I have no idea of the weight of these sheds (it is now completely empty) but would it be too heavy for a number of people to lift forward the 3 or 4 feet?
    All opinions would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I moved one years ago buy putting it up on nice big round logs and just rolling it. Only took 3 guys to push it.
    Don't think I'd try carrying it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

wexie wrote: »
    I moved one years ago buy putting it up on nice big round logs and just rolling it. Only took 3 guys to push it.
    Don't think I'd try carrying it though.

Would never of thought of that but it makes good sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You could also slide it to it's new location by putting a couple of planks under the base and use a lever or two (some 4x2 or a long prybar). This works well on soft or uneven ground where a roller might just end up getting bedded into the ground.

You could also slide it to it's new location by putting a couple of planks under the base and use a lever or two (some 4x2 or a long prybar). This works well on soft or uneven ground where a roller might just end up getting bedded into the ground.

Many thanks for that. I have asked a local tradesman to have a look and he suggested something along those lines too. Luckily the ground is quite soft after today's rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A car jack of some kind is handy to lift the shed up onto whatever rollers you have. Best if you go around and lift a little at time from say 6 positions around the shed base and add props to keep it up until you reach the required height. Put the rollers under and then lower it down again little at a time onto the rollers with the jack. Put timber under the top of the jack to spread the load when lifting so you don't damage the shed base.

• Advertisement

Rollers is the way to go.
    We used a few empty gas cylinders to do it years ago when we were younger

The adults thought we were crazy, then it worked. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭greasepalm

my3cents wrote: »
    A car jack of some kind is handy to lift the shed up onto whatever rollers you have. Best if you go around and lift a little at time from say 6 positions around the shed base and add props to keep it up until you reach the required height. Put the rollers under and then lower it down again little at a time onto the rollers with the jack. Put timber under the top of the jack to spread the load when lifting so you don't damage the shed base.

I had wondered if a car jack would work alright and will give it a try. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did this before rented a manual winch from hire shop and put boards down winched the shed 90 degrees that shed was 8ft by 16ft. Very heavy . Winch turned it handy

listermint wrote: »
    Did this before rented a manual winch from hire shop and put boards down winched the shed 90 degrees that shed was 8ft by 16ft. Very heavy . Winch turned it handy

That's good to know Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement