Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7.62x39

Options
  • 22-04-2018 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Anyone shooting a 7.62x39 ? Vermin control, plinking ? Are they deer legal here ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

I'd imagine they wouldn't even accept your application as that is an evil ak47 caliber............

However, the same Sup't would probably have 270, 7rem, 300win amongst the deerstalking rifles in his area.

300 is a smaller number than the evil military number 308 so obviously it is a far less evil cartridge, applying AGS logic here

Wasn't there a chap in Donegal a couple years back who was REFUSED a substitution to change his swift down to a 223. The latter being a bigger number and an evil military armour piercing incendiary anti-personell chemical electronic death machine meant the Sup't couldn't possibly licence it in place of a 220. Oh the Lord save us.

Like I said on another post, it's a great organisation; they even give you a free jacket as well :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Just a bit of desk top research shows it to fall below the minimum ft/lbs required here to make it deer calibre.

Anything blogged or written about it compared it to the venrable 30-30, a fine historic but very effective deer round often referred to as a 'woods gun'. The calibre hefted in a lever action made it perfect for tight timbers with close range shots (sub 100 yrds).
    The Russian round will drop deer, according to those who know, but at sensible ranges and those that do call that a 100yrds or less.

From other readings, what makes this calibre great for plinking and such is the abundant sources of ex military ammunition to be found in the good old USA, sadly not a situation we find ourselves in here.

I'm going to high jack this thread and ask 'are there many shooting the 7mm-08 here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Just a bit of desk top research shows it to fall below the minimum ft/lbs required here to make it deer calibre.

Anything blogged or written about it compared it to the venrable 30-30, a fine historic but very effective deer round often referred to as a 'woods gun'. The calibre hefted in a lever action made it perfect for tight timbers with close range shots (sub 100 yrds).
    The Russian round will drop deer, according to those who know, but at sensible ranges and those that do call that a 100yrds or less.

From other readings, what makes this calibre great for plinking and such is the abundant sources of ex military ammunition to be found in the good old USA, sadly not a situation we find ourselves in here.

I'm going to high jack this thread and ask 'are there many shooting the 7mm-08 here?

I believe there is ammunition that meets the 1,700 ft/lbs requirements, even the ppu and s+b soft point ammo hits over 1,650 so its not a surprise. The cz 527 is such a cracking little rifle and available in the 7.62 round. The ammo is supposed to be even cheaper than that for the .223.

I have seen dealers with 7mm-08 rifles advertised, but often wondered what the point of that caliber was, apart from getting around the "no military rounds" laws in the few countries that have them left.

The 7mm-08 seems to be a good all round calibre falling between the .243 and the 30 cals of the 308 & 30-06 with a ballistic similarity of the .270. It has heavy for calibre bullets (140-170 grain) with good BC and is suitable for both woods and open plains. Recoil falls between the .243 and the 308 and according to the online blurb is second to the .243 as the most popular off spring of the parent 308 casing.

Sounds like a good all rounder for good old Ireland.

The 7mm-08 seems to be a good all round calibre falling between the .243 and the 30 cals of the 308 & 30-06 with a ballistic similarity of the .270. It has heavy for calibre bullets (140-170 grain) with good BC and is suitable for both woods and open plains. Recoil falls between the .243 and the 308 and according to the online blurb is second to the .243 as the most popular off spring of the parent 308 casing.

Sounds like a good all rounder for good old Ireland.

I had a .308 before and loved it, sorry i ever sold it. As a round its a tack driver, very wide selection of bullet weights for every type of game, everyone makes .308 ammo, you can used milsurp ammo through it, buy ammo anywhere, it is not heavy recoiling, in a lot of ways its the ideal (imho).

If i were to buy another centrefire, i would go with .30-06, mainly because i never had one, and its hugely popular the world over.

• Advertisement

Im using .243 and .270 but get to use a 30-06 on regular occasions for stalking. Absolutely a brilliant round and at the moment if I was to go to a 30 cal then it would have to be the 30-06.
    But then if I get one I'll have to get to Africa .....

Im using .243 and .270 but get to use a 30-06 on regular occasions for stalking. Absolutely a brilliant round and at the moment if I was to go to a 30 cal then it would have to be the 30-06.
    But then if I get one I'll have to get to Africa .....

I know someone who shoots in Africa regularly, and he tells me the .30-06 is probably the number one choice for plains game out there, very popular in Europe for wild boar too, where i think you need .30 cal minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

.308 minimum for wild boar.Preferably in a semi-auto of your choice[3shots only mind]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

gunny123 wrote: »
    Anyone shooting a 7.62x39 ? Vermin control, plinking ? Are they deer legal here ?

I don’t personally but a friend has one,a CZ 527. Nice compact rifle.

Advertisement