Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to Slab 2 walls with insulated plasterboard

Options
  • 22-04-2018 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi. First time posting in this section.

I have received a quotation of 2200 to put up 22mm insulated plasterboards in a bedroom. This is for 2 walls. 1 wall requires 3 8x4 slabs. The other wall needs 5 as there is a bay window so it needs cutting down to size. Then it will need to be skimmed afterwards and coving and skirting replaced.

This quote is for labor and materials. I guestimate that materials should run 500 or so euro. This means a labor cost of 1600.

i also need to close up 2 doors - one i want done with blocks, the other can just be partition. Any idea what these should come in at approx? I think 100/200 euro , but again - i could be very much wrong.

To me this seems very high, but perhaps i'm on another planet and i am very much wrong? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

curtin10 wrote: »
    Hi. First time posting in this section.

I have received a quotation of 2200 to put up 22mm insulated plasterboards in a bedroom. This is for 2 walls. 1 wall requires 3 8x4 slabs. The other wall needs 5 as there is a bay window so it needs cutting down to size. Then it will need to be skimmed afterwards and coving and skirting replaced.

This quote is for labor and materials. I guestimate that materials should run 500 or so euro. This means a labor cost of 1600.

i also need to close up 2 doors - one i want done with blocks, the other can just be partition. Any idea what these should come in at approx? I think 100/200 euro , but again - i could be very much wrong.

To me this seems very high, but perhaps i'm on another planet and i am very much wrong? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Does the price include electrical work and materials?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭curtin10

Does the price include electrical work and materials?

The 2200 is for materials and labor. Basically there is an issue with plaster that is on the 2 walls. It's cracking so best way to fix this was to slab over existing walls. One wall is a straight wall and the other has a windows on it. The electrical work consists of re fixing sockets to the wall after plaster board is done. As I say I estimate materials for this job should be 500 quid. This means I'm being charged 1600 for labor. I'm just not sure that it should be that high for labor. What should I even expect as a daily rate for labor for this kind of work. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I assume this is a room with 2 external walls?

If so, 22mm insulated plasterboard sounds a bit on the thin side. Half of that is the plasterboard itself. I think I went with 52mm board myself. Considering the relatively small extra cost if the thicker board, that’s maybe something to consider.

goz83 wrote: »
    I assume this is a room with 2 external walls?

If so, 22mm insulated plasterboard sounds a bit on the thin side. Half of that is the plasterboard itself. I think I went with 52mm board myself. Considering the relatively small extra cost if the thicker board, that’s maybe something to consider.

Hi. Thanks for that. I will do. I did notice the price difference is very small. I suppose here I'm just wondering is the 2200 I'm quoted for labor and materials on the high side? I was thinking 500 or so for materials and thought 2/3 days labor at say 200 a day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

1 wall requires 3 8x4 slabs.
    The other wall needs 5 as

there is a bay window so it needs cutting down to size.

Then it will need to be skimmed afterwards and coving and skirting replaced.

also need to close up 2 doors - one i want done with blocks,

the other can just be partition.

Perhaps It’s the messing around that their pricing for (+ risk & profit)

Coving, skirting, window boards, blocking up walls, skimming - drilling and fixing slabs is not the slow bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 andrioolis

Hi just recently we redid the main bedroom plasterbord.
    3 walls - 1 with 100mm plasterbord (4 sheets) and another 2 walls with rockwool insert and normal wall pasterboard. Work done - everything and painting included. We got cheep quote 1200 ex vat for labour. Material price came up to 2100.
    So looking at your Q prepare to add abit to your material and also extend work duration by 2-3 days as skimming must dry up. So from your end 1600 labor + 1000 materials would be very reasanable price. P.s. allways add an extra 10% to unforseen expenses...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The 2200 is for materials and labor. Basically there is an issue with plaster that is on the 2 walls. It's cracking so best way to fix this was to slab over existing walls. One wall is a straight wall and the other has a windows on it. The electrical work consists of re fixing sockets to the wall after plaster board is done. As I say I estimate materials for this job should be 500 quid. This means I'm being charged 1600 for labor. I'm just not sure that it should be that high for labor. What should I even expect as a daily rate for labor for this kind of work. Thanks

curtin10, if you estimate that 500 and 1600 is 2,200 then you not really looking at the details.

If you get a price for a job from someone that includes all labour, all materials supplied and fitted, coordinating different tradesmen/women, taking full responsibility for all aspects of the job, removing all waste ect, that is totally different than getting a day rate price from a worker.

Are there any radiators to be moved, window boards to be replaced, light switches to be removed? All these small things add up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Hi. Thanks for that. I will do. I did notice the price difference is very small. I suppose here I'm just wondering is the 2200 I'm quoted for labor and materials on the high side? I was thinking 500 or so for materials and thought 2/3 days labor at say 200 a day.

Yeah, I think you are wasting your time putting 22mm insu board on external walls. Internal would be ok to help control heat seepage between rooms. So unless you are restricted to 22mm. go for more. As I said, I used 52mm when insulating my bedrooms, hallway and living room. I just finished an extension in the kitchen and went for something like 80 or 90mm insu board.

Further to your question, there is no point trying to calculate a day rate. You are paying for skill and the contractor is taking the risk and so will add to their cost. It's not a straight forward insulation job. You are asking for doors to be blocked up and other ancillary works. I spent a short time in the business and one thing I can tell you is that the job always lasts longer than expected and it always costs more than planned. I built a 20% contingency into any planned work which was a good mark. Your quote sound ok tbh.

goz83 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think you are wasting your time putting 22mm insu board on external walls. Internal would be ok to help control heat seepage between rooms. So unless you are restricted to 22mm. go for more. As I said, I used 52mm when insulating my bedrooms, hallway and living room. I just finished an extension in the kitchen and went for something like 80 or 90mm insu board.

Further to your question, there is no point trying to calculate a day rate. You are paying for skill and the contractor is taking the risk and so will add to their cost. It's not a straight forward insulation job. You are asking for doors to be blocked up and other ancillary works. I spent a short time in the business and one thing I can tell you is that the job always lasts longer than expected and it always costs more than planned. I built a 20% contingency into any planned work which was a good mark. Your quote sound ok tbh.

Hi. Thanks for that. I got one thing mixed up. These are walls in a Bedroom. Not external walls. My Bad there! We are doing this job as some of the plaster has come lose on the wall and the best way to "repair" this was to plasterboard it up. Hence only using 22mm insulated plasterboard. One wall is approx 3.2m wide and the other is approx 4m. but with the bay window i allowed 5 slabs for this side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just for comparison to help you, I recently got my entire house reboarded and replastered, walls and ceilings, all skirting and architraves replaced, sockets and light switches moved, rads moved and some piping replaced for 6000. All standard board, not insulated. Yours seems a touch on the expensive side. Did you get another quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You should get a list of materials and go and price them yourself.
    We got one room slabbed and plastered recently, and the guy that did it was surprised at the cost of materials -he hadn’t done a similar job in a small while, and was surprised at how much material costs had increased.
    That said, my oh was able to source the slabs cheaper elsewhere.
    Some tradesmen seem to use one particular builders providers where they might have an account, etc, but that might not necessarily be the best price you’ll get, and it can be worth your while to shop around, if you have time.

Hi. Thanks for that. I got one thing mixed up. These are walls in a Bedroom. Not external walls. My Bad there! We are doing this job as some of the plaster has come lose on the wall and the best way to "repair" this was to plasterboard it up. Hence only using 22mm insulated plasterboard. One wall is approx 3.2m wide and the other is approx 4m. but with the bay window i allowed 5 slabs for this side.

The bay window is on an external wall. I understand you are having work done inside.....but the window is still on an external wall, yes?

Internal walls are wall which separate rooms. External walls seaparate the rooms from the outside.

Any external walls should ideally have good quality, thick insulation. Internal walls...not so much.

Advertisement