Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a Place to Live between Ringaskiddy and Cork City

Options
  • 22-04-2018 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Guys we are moving home from the UK - my husband has a job in Ringaskiddy starting the 14th May and I want to find work in the city and have an easy commute there as I will have to bus it in. We are looking at possible places to live, Rochestown, Douglas, Ballincollig, Carrigaline and were hoping you could give us some advice. We are from Tipperary so know the city well enough. We want somewhere with good pubs and music and to go out and also for a good commute both ways - not too much traffic and nice walks in countryside if possible. Would appreciate any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Personally I would chose Ballincollig as its been really built up over the last couple of years and has everything you want and is a stone throw from the city but the commute would a pain for your husband as he would probably get stuck in traffic on Carr's hill and would probably have to leave earlier, Carrigaline is the closest to Ringaskiddy .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah, Ballincollig is the most developed, but the commute may be a pain.
    Douglas sounds like it would work for you, you can avoid the worst of the traffic and has plenty of bus services.
    But it is expensive

Carrigaline is the closest to ringaskiddy, getting a better bus service soon, about 45 mins to the city center on the bus.
    However the entertainment side is a bit lacking, you'll likely end up going to Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 reillymurph

Thanks for that. 45 minutes seems a long commute if you are working in the city. Will take into account

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

The commute from Ballincollig to Ringaskiddy rarely tales more than 30 mins. If work hours are flexible you can avoid traffic and it would take less than 20 mins.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Thanks for that. 45 minutes seems a long commute if you are working in the city. Will take into account

Yeah, that would be the 8 o clock bus, Traffic in Douglas is bad which can delay things.
    Ballincollig would be a shorter bus journey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Avoid Ballincollig. I was Delighted to move out of that place. Also, complete wrong side of the city for ringaskiddy. pointless waste of petrol.

Carrigaline or douglas would be good for buses to the city and a tiny commute to ringaskiddy. Monkstown and Passage west also good options, especially if you like the sea and a view. Depends how busy you want it, and what your budget is. You could also consider in the city itself, but maybe that is out of the price range?

Take a look at the map, Any area to the south east of the city would be ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

Passage, Carrigaline or Douglas. Passage is slowly gathering momentum, a few nice developments starting there. Great community too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

How about Rochestown? Lovely area, close to Douglas and town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would go either Carrigaline/Rochestown or Douglas/Ballintemple.. Ballincollig is the completely wrong side for your husbands work and if you want an easy commute... And sorry but unless your from Passage don't there, tis up and coming but yeah well that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Hi Guys we are moving home from the UK - my husband has a job in Ringaskiddy starting the 14th May and I want to find work in the city and have an easy commute there as I will have to bus it in. We are looking at possible places to live, Rochestown, Douglas, Ballincollig, Carrigaline and were hoping you could give us some advice. We are from Tipperary so know the city well enough. We want somewhere with good pubs and music and to go out and also for a good commute both ways - not too much traffic and nice walks in countryside if possible. Would appreciate any advice

Are you looking for somewhere to rent or buy ? Initially renting would give you time to suss it out for yourselves. A friend of mine has been travelling from Ballincollig to Ringaskiddy every day for the last 15 years, and has no problems....you don't have to go through Rochestown to get there. Will schools be an issue for you ?

• Advertisement

It doesn't take 30 mins to travel from Ballincollig to Ringaskiddy either.. Maybe if you hit no traffic or have a subbie but nope

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Milly33 wrote: »
    It doesn't take 30 mins to travel from Ballincollig to Ringaskiddy either.. Maybe if you hit no traffic or have a subbie but nope

With no traffic it's barely 20 mins.
    But it's rare that you would get none at all. Generally about 25-30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

pwurple wrote: »
    Avoid Ballincollig. I was Delighted to move out of that place. Also, complete wrong side of the city for ringaskiddy. pointless waste of petrol.

Carrigaline or douglas would be good for buses to the city and a tiny commute to ringaskiddy. Monkstown and Passage west also good options, especially if you like the sea and a view. Depends how busy you want it, and what your budget is. You could also consider in the city itself, but maybe that is out of the price range?

Take a look at the map, Any area to the south east of the city would be ideal.

Mind me asking what was wrong with Ballincollig?

dum dum dmmmmmmmmm!!! It is a bit rough in some spots that is a well known observation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Milly33 wrote: »
    dum dum dmmmmmmmmm!!! It is a bit rough in some spots that is a well known observation

The same can be said for any town/suburb! Ballincollig has developed into a great town over the last 20 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Avoid Ballincollig. I was Delighted to move out of that place.

What didn't you like about Ballincollig, if you don't mind me asking?

What didn't you like about Ballincollig, if you don't mind me asking?

Mainly, the local heroine addicts were quite messy, I wasn’t a big fan of finding used needles in my garden when playing with my toddler.

My car was stolen multiple times from in front of my house, and burnt out in the driveway.

Also, the bizaar snobby gaelscoil parents who nudge nudge wink winked that foreigners were to be avoided.

Wasn’t mad about any of the pubs. Bit rough.

And aestheticly, the long stripmall feel to the place instead of rounded out well planned development.

Otherwise grand though. We had decent broadband speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Mainly, the local heroine addicts were quite messy, I wasn’t a big fan of finding used needles in my garden when playing with my toddler.

My car was stolen multiple times from in front of my house, and burnt out in the driveway.

Also, the bizaar snobby gaelscoil parents who nudge nudge wink winked that foreigners were to be avoided.

Wasn’t mad about any of the pubs. Bit rough.

And aestheticly, the long stripmall feel to the place instead of rounded out well planned development.

Otherwise grand though. We had decent broadband speed.
    I have lived in Ballincollig for nearly 30 years (moved from Douglas) and I really think you lived in a completely different place to me! The only pub I'd consider rough is the Darby. I've never seen a burnt out car and thankfully I've yet to see heroin addicts roaming the streets. :rolleyes: I have no problem walking home from The White Horse or Tradehouse in the early hours - both great pubs BTW, with a good selection of food and great bands.

I have lived in Ballincollig for nearly 30 years (moved from Douglas) and I really think you lived in a completely different place to me! The only pub I'd consider rough is the Darby. I've never seen a burnt out car and thankfully I've yet to see heroin addicts roaming the streets. :rolleyes: I have no problem walking home from The White Horse or Tradehouse in the early hours - both great pubs BTW, with a good selection of food and great bands.

Aha. This is why I didn’t volunteer that info first time and had to be asked twice for it. Luckily the Gardai took me seriously.

Thanks for eye-rolling at me. Really improves my opinion of people in Ballincollig.

Folks, potential role in VMware. Not too familiar with cork but where would be a good place to house share as well as Balincollig :D Not saying its bad or anything based on what people here say but just want to expand my options. Like what towns should i select on Daft that would be nice and commutable with a bit of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

zweton wrote: »
    Folks, potential role in VMware. Not too familiar with cork but where would be a good place to house share other than Balincollig :D Not saying its bad or anything based on what people here say but just want to expand my options. Like what towns should i select on Daft that would be nice and commutable with a bit of life.

What's wrong with Ballincollig? </hides behind couch>

Other than Ballincollig/Ovens, I'm not sure. The easiest choice would be in the Western suburbs of Cork (Bishopstown or Wilton), though you'd be competing with CIT students and Cork University Hospital staff for accommodation.

Further afield - I don't know much about Blarney. Inishannon is scenic but probably very quiet. Bandon might be too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

zweton wrote: »
    Folks, potential role in VMware. Not too familiar with cork but where would be a good place to house share as well as Balincollig :D Not saying its bad or anything based on what people here say but just want to expand my options. Like what towns should i select on Daft that would be nice and commutable with a bit of life.

Nothing but Ballincollig really. You'd be walking to the offices.

http://www.daft.ie/cork/apartment-share/ballincollig/quadrants-ballincollig-cork-1011260/

Would this be an average enough price for an apt share in Ballincollig?
    It does look nice though.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

If you want to work in ballincollig but live elsewhere then you have lots of options, especially if you drive.
    Wilton, bishopstown and glasheen, are all less than 15 mins away by car. All suburbs and depending on where the house is you could have a shop or pub on your doorstep or be 10/15 mins walk away.
    For town then Blarney is very close, 10 mins, macroom 25mins and Bandon is about 30mins away. For bad winters then macroom is probably best as its main road all the ways in.
    If you'd like a small village then you have lots of options, killumney/ovens is less than 10 mins away, aherla or cloughduv are about 15mins. You also have coachford and dripsey which are less than 20mins but could be dodgy in winter.
    Personally I wouldn't like to live in a large town, I just prefer the smaller village type of setting but you might feel differently.
    For housing options then the town's will obviously have more choice but will also be more expensive.

Advertisement