Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Surveyor Apartment

Options
  • 22-04-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Put down a booking deposit for an apartment, from the viewings it does seem to be in very good condition but what are people's views on getting a structural survey. It it absolutely necessary? For piece of mind I'd rather pay the small amount for it but just wondering from other's experience! Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Joziburg wrote: »
    Put down a booking deposit for an apartment, from the viewings it does seem to be in very good condition but what are people's views on getting a structural survey. It it absolutely necessary? For piece of mind I'd rather pay the small amount for it but just wondering from other's experience! Thanks :)

Get it done by someone who is familiar with apartment fire regs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Joziburg wrote: »

Have you got permission to access the structure?
    Are you allowed carry out invasive works?

From my experience, I have never seen or been involved in a structural survey of a unit that wasn’t the owner as you cannot remove plasterboard etc to see the actual structure its self?

You will need management company approval to access the roof structure, unit owners permission to access the structure and if you don’t buy then who pays to fix the openening up works?

What you need is an opinion on current conditions with regards to fire safety but it will be visual only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

If the mgmt company figures and books seems all above board then the purchase is good ... your solicitor will be able to tell you if all the figures , sinking fund etc are fine in relation to the apt you're looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

hawkelady wrote: »
    If the mgmt company figures and books seems all above board then the purchase is good ... your solicitor will be able to tell you if all the figures , sinking fund etc are fine in relation to the apt you're looking at

And what about all the blocks with pyrite and fire safety issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Rackstar wrote: »
    hawkelady wrote: »

As kceire has said , you can't start knocking holes everywhere in an apt block without consent , ps,, you won't get it !
    If the apt block is several years old and you ask the neighbours what the place is like ten there you have your answer. Simple really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rackstar wrote: »

The biggest risk with apartment buying at the moment.
    The surveyor may be able to give an opinion based on what he/she sees during the standard survey but not a lot else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

kceire wrote: »
    The biggest risk with apartment buying at the moment.
    The surveyor may be able to give an opinion based on what he/she sees during the standard survey but not a lot else.
    Pyrite is probably less of a risk. If there was issues it probably is known about already and/or evident.

First Cert compliance would be a bigger issue for me. The vast majority of apartment blocks arent compliant (based on what I have seen/been involved with) and some times the only way to find this out is when the fire officer has to come out for what ever reason (dealing with a place were a bin went on fire, fire office inspected the apartment block, not complaint, now facing a bill of about €500,000.)

Advertisement