Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer data from old pc

Options
  • 22-04-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Finally got a new (refurbished) pc, thanks for all the previous advice!

Next dilema is how to move my data to the new one.

I've been going through the pc deleting old unimportant files and backing up to one drive, google drive etc.

I was thinking I would just copy my documents, pictures and music folders to my external H/D and move it like that. Will this be sufficient?

How do I move my emails?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That'd be one way, if you were feeling brave you could plug the old drive into the new PC and use it for additional storage.

Have you emails on the old computer or do you just mean gmail or Hotmail or whatever you use

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

I was thinking of that alright, but surely its full of junk and old program files and settings?

Emails are on the pc as I use Windows Mail

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If both PC's connected to network(same) over wire it might speedup things like folder/file transfer. No USB , no internet, just plain Ethernet cable.

jamesbil wrote: »
    I was thinking of that alright, but surely its full of junk and old program files and settings?

Emails are on the pc as I use Windows Mail

It will be, you could plug it in, take what you need off it and then format it, it'd be fresh as a daisy.

This is a few years old but should be okay for your emails

https://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istcontrib/Windows+Mail+for+Vista+-+Backup+and+Restore+Data

It will be, you could plug it in, take what you need off it and then format it, it'd be fresh as a daisy.

This is a few years old but should be okay for your emails

https://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display/istcontrib/Windows+Mail+for+Vista+-+Backup+and+Restore+Data

Thanks, do you know I will be able to import windows mail emails into whatever the new version is?

• Advertisement

Further down there's a method for restoring them on the new PC, it should be as if you were still on the old PC after the restore

Further down there's a method for restoring them on the new PC, it should be as if you were still on the old PC after the restore

Unfortunately in this new Windows 10 Mail app there is no import or restore option!

Any ideas? I m really stuck without previous emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

jamesbil wrote: »
    Unfortunately in this new Windows 10 Mail app there is no import or restore option!

Any ideas? I m really stuck without previous emails.
    Unless you using POP mail all your emails still should be on server.

What mail provider you use: outlook.xx, hotmail.xx, yahoo.xx, gmail.xx, etc ?

Got it sorted thanks. Downloaded Mozilla email client and imported from my old drive..

Advertisement