Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sitting LC German exam

Options
  • 22-04-2018 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Just looking for some advice/clarification. My son has informed me that he is not going to take his LC German exam this June. Reason being that he has been lazy and hasn't bothered in this class for the past year. I've said he can turn it around if he gets the head down and studies. To no avail, he's adamant he is not going to take it. He tells me he only needs six subjects for a Leaving Cert, is this the case? What repercussions would there be for him? (He's also doing LCVP).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Check that any course he wants to do doesn't need a third language. Would he consider taking it at Ordinary Level?

He only counts six subjects for points for the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

As spurious said make sure he doesn't need it for his college course.

Sounds like he's doing 7 subjects (inc LCVP) so he's covered it's the top 6 they count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gingergirl wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice/clarification. My son has informed me that he is not going to take his LC German exam this June. Reason being that he has been lazy and hasn't bothered in this class for the past year. I've said he can turn it around if he gets the head down and studies. To no avail, he's adamant he is not going to take it. He tells me he only needs six subjects for a Leaving Cert, is this the case? What repercussions would there be for him? (He's also doing LCVP).

Did he do his oral?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

If he did his oral exam he has already sat 20-25% of the exam. If so, whatever he got in that will be his final mark if he drops it now.

• Advertisement

Drag00n79 wrote: »
    If he did his oral exam he has already sat 20-25% of the exam. If so, whatever he got in that will be his final mark if he drops it now.

And it will appear on his Leaving Cert as he presented himself for oral.

Yes he did, or at least he told me he did! I'll put this to him later thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

His German grade will be poor if he did the oral, as even with maximum marks it would be a fail overall. It will also have an asterisk beside it to indicate a missing component (the written exam).

spurious wrote: »
    His German grade will be poor if he did the oral, as even with maximum marks it would be a fail overall. It will also have an asterisk beside it to indicate a missing component (the written exam).

It would easier to sit the ordinary level paper now than regret that asterisk and explaining whenever he needs to produce his Leaving Cert.

OP: Did you/he speak to the German teacher / career guidance?

OP: Did you/he speak to the German teacher / career guidance?

Not yet, I did mention that I would mail the teacher when he brought up the issue initially...think I'll do that next, thanks

• Advertisement

gingergirl wrote: »
    Not yet, I did mention that I would mail the teacher when he brought up the issue initially...think I'll do that next, thanks

I would do it ASAP. He has now presented for exam so German will be on his leaving - make sure he's aware of that. Also he may well be able to do the ordinary if coming from higher. The teacher can go through the paper and your son can do some guided practice from now until exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Be careful of that modern language requirement for college or college in the future.

Thanks for all the advice, he tells me he is going to sit the exam now so we'll see how it goes

Advertisement