Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Cathay Pacific fly into Dublin Airport now?

Options
  • 22-04-2018 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭

According to Dublin airport, Cathay Pacific are flying from Dub to Hong Kong from June 2nd 2018 but do they fly from Hong Kong to Dub now? Skyscanner is saying Cathay Pacific offer flights from Hong Kong to Dub before June 2nd...do they do that route regularly, but not the other way around (ie Dub to HK)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can, via a travel agent if not online, buy tickets that use EI as the first leg to LHR or FRA and Cathay after. They do not fly on their own metal yet but will in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

I'm delighted to see them come to Dublin, I flew Hong Kong to Amsterdam return with them, they were an absolute pleasure to fly with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

I have flown Cathay Pacific out of Cork and Dublin before with Aer Lingus to Amsterdam and British airways to London Heathrow and onto Hong Kong with Cathay afterwards. The direct flight will be great to bypass the European Hubs and make going to Hong Kong a single hop and North East Asia and South East Asia available as two flights instead of three if you discount the ME3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭beachhead

Both Cathay on their website and Dublin Airport are advertising services from the 2nd June Hong to Dublin,Dublin to Hong Kong.I have a booking leaving Hong Kong to Dublin departing HK on 2nd June but must go via Gatwick.,not direct to Dublin.The flight to Dublin from Gatwick is with BA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Its quite possible that the code share with BA and Aer Lingus will remain even after they launch flights as its four times a week and for example Qatar still offers flights out of Ireland via LHR despite servicing Dublin with their own aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

beachhead wrote: »
    Both Cathay on their website and Dublin Airport are advertising services from the 2nd June Hong to Dublin,Dublin to Hong Kong.I have a booking leaving Hong Kong to Dublin departing HK on 2nd June but must go via Gatwick.,not direct to Dublin.The flight to Dublin from Gatwick is with BA

Its with Aer Lingus, BA haven't flown Dublin Gatwick in years

Cathay will have direct flights from June 2. In the industry there is a trend that connecting flights are cheaper than direct and of course offers more choices in terms of timing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I've only ever flown with them once from SIN to BKK on a 777 in cattle class and the service was excellent the aul lad reckons that SQ is the best he has ever travelled with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

https://fora.ie/cathay-pacific-dublin-3977640-Apr2018/

I have always wondered why EI never started an Asian route, there was always a market there for the picking! Seems like EI missed an opportunity here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Fattes wrote: »
    https://fora.ie/cathay-pacific-dublin-3977640-Apr2018/

I have always wondered why EI never started an Asian route, there was always a market there for the picking! Seems like EI missed an opportunity here!

EI tried DXB for a while and withdrew.

That said, the quality of their product offering - particularly in economy - isn’t in the same league as the major Asian carriers. They’d need to be quite a lot cheaper for me to consider using them for a long haul eastbound flight.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Noxegon wrote: »
    EI tried DXB for a while and withdrew. .......
    And even at that time a major dissenter among upper mgmt to the DUB-DXB route was the current CEO.

I was with them at the time. No interline or codeshare deal in place. Flight times mean ppl had to overnight before flying East the next day.

I wasnt there when it ended, I think it stopped in 2008?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Noxegon wrote: »
    EI tried DXB for a while and withdrew.

That said, the quality of their product offering - particularly in economy - isn’t in the same league as the major Asian carriers. They’d need to be quite a lot cheaper for me to consider using them for a long haul eastbound flight.

But aren't the 777s Emirates use more crammed in economy then EI A330s ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

But aren't the 777s Emirates use more crammed in economy then EI A330s ?

The economy seats on EI are somewhat better than those on the EK 777 fleet. That would be a selling point to be sure, though it needs to be taken in context with the many other areas where the ME3 have the edge — the seat back screen size, the selection of movies on offer, the cabin service, onward connections, and frequent flyer schemes that actually work.

The latter in particular is key for me, as I reliably upgrade about one flight in six using miles.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Flew cathay to HK before and they have to be one of the best long haul airlines I've flown with. 
    However at €940 return from Dublin I won't be going with them when you can fly via amsterdam or other EU airports for €600 or even cheaper return for an extra 3 or 4 hours and 1 stop off.

Advertisement