Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Run Disruption

Options
  • 22-04-2018 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in the IFSC and am sick of these "night runs" that seem to be becoming more common in the area. There's one on tonight, and the whole of North Wall Quay is completely blocked off - there is no way for a lot of the residents living in the apartments in the area to get in or out by car when the run is on.

They also seem to have a huge soundsystem which is blaring music at 9 o'clock at night in an area which is home to nearly 30,000 people. Why they have to have it slap bang in the middle of the Docklands, when we have the second largest park in Europe is beyond me. If you want to dress head to toe in spandex and run around on a Sunday night then be my guest, but don't impose your hobby on the rest of us. I don't know how Dublin City Council let this event to take place given the disruption it causes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Might be worth venting to your local CC councilor?
    Seems a fair point in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If you're going to live in the centre of the city, you're going to have to accept that it's not simply a normal residential area and you're going to have to live with a certain amount of cultural events for the wider community.

Perhaps a move to the 'burbs would be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

The music started at 15.00 and went on until 23.00...
    For an event that actually started at 21.00 and was all butover by 21.45 the length was a bit excessive. There was certainly no need to use communist style tannoys along the north and south dockland quays to spread the "joy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

Phoebas wrote: »
    If you're going to live in the centre of the city, you're going to have to accept that it's not simply a normal residential area and you're going to have to live with a certain amount of cultural events for the wider community.

Perhaps a move to the 'burbs would be in order.

I do get that being in the city centre, it is going to be inherently busier than living in the suburbs, but this was really going beyond reasonable. The part of the IFSC I live in is zoned for residential use and as such should be considered when DCC are deciding on applications for such events. I don't believe that having a cultural event and complete disruption go hand-in-hand either.

The Dublin Riverfest has been a great success in the Docklands for the past few years, running the length of North Wall Quay and is a much more inclusive event, attracting tens of thousands of people without causing havoc to the residents in the area. A night-run is a much more elitist event and as such I don't believe blocking off a huge swathe of city centre roadways purely to indulge what seemed to be one big exercise in self-congratulation and back-slapping was appropriate. It wouldn't have just affected residents either, as anyone heading to Dublin Port would have had major problems.

The soundsystem they used was so powerful that the music could be heard as far away as Clontarf and Ballsbridge based on what my work colleagues are telling me, so the impact was broader than just the Quays as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭dubdev

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Might be worth venting to your local CC councilor?
    Seems a fair point in fairness.

Yep, attended a property management company meeting last night and raised the issue, I think our management agent are going to consult DCC and try and get listed as a consultee or in some way make our views more widely known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

dubdev wrote: »
    I do get that being in the city centre, it is going to be inherently busier than living in the suburbs, but this was really going beyond reasonable. The part of the IFSC I live in is zoned for residential use and as such should be considered when DCC are deciding on applications for such events. I don't believe that having a cultural event and complete disruption go hand-in-hand either.

The Dublin Riverfest has been a great success in the Docklands for the past few years, running the length of North Wall Quay and is a much more inclusive event, attracting tens of thousands of people without causing havoc to the residents in the area. A night-run is a much more elitist event and as such I don't believe blocking off a huge swathe of city centre roadways purely to indulge what seemed to be one big exercise in self-congratulation and back-slapping was appropriate. It wouldn't have just affected residents either, as anyone heading to Dublin Port would have had major problems.

The soundsystem they used was so powerful that the music could be heard as far away as Clontarf and Ballsbridge based on what my work colleagues are telling me, so the impact was broader than just the Quays as well.

Well I didn't hear a peep in East Wall so I'd take that claid with some salt

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

DCC and the guards, amongst others, make money out of these sort of events. Part of the pull of an event like this 'night run' is that it is in the city rather than one of the many, many runs in the Phoenix Park. Aside from that, the Park couldn't host a 'night run' as it would be too dark there to do it safely. Street lighting etc make it safe to do the run at that time of night.

My folks live 5 mins from Croke Park and are very often pinned in their home because of matches, concerts and other events. Very inconvenient and rules out much of the summer for them. If they go out by car, they can't get back in due to A) traffic and B) all the parking spots are gone. I'm sure people who living in the vicinity of Landsdowne experience similar. There really aren't that many run races down by the docklands. Anything like that is always a pain to people who are not interested in the event.

Advertisement