Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on viagogo ticket purchase

Options
  • 22-04-2018 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi!

It seems I am the worlds greatest spanner. I ordered tickets for an event coming up in the board gais from the above mentioned company. Why!? I was distracted at the time of following the link and any remember how I even found the link to the site. I have paid two or even three times the amount of the ticket! To make things worse I bought 4!!! Christmas presents (delighted with myself to be so well organised!!). Checked the tickets and they are in some other persons name!! Was just telling someone about this and they were asking why I booked with them!!! I assumed this was the ticket office the bord gais were using and thought the high price was for it being a rare event and perhaps "fancy" seats!!!

Yes, massive tit, I know!

Does anyone know if there is a come back from this!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

You won't get any refund for changing your mind.

You're buying the tickets from another person, pretty sure Viagogo don't have any actual tickets, they provide the site for people to exchange and take a cut, so they will be in someone else's name.

6.8 All Sales are Final. All sales and bids are final. No refunds, cancellations or exchanges will be issued for date or time changes, partial performances, or lost tickets.

Best thing you can do now is just put them back up on the site and hope someone buys them if you wan't to try get some cash back or just go to the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Most events do not care if the tickets are in somebody else's name though there have been some recently which do. Check the official page for the event and see if there is any notes about ID being required to attend. If it is required you could possibly argue with Viagogo that the tickets are invalid and should be refunded but they are apparently awful to deal with.

There's been lots of backlash recently as lots of people made similar mistakes to you (the sponsored ads coming up before the actual ticket sites for the events). I believe there are several support groups such as "Victims of Viagogo" which can potentially have more advice on what has worked in the past but there is probably not a whole lot that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Viagogo is a bit misleading also. The price you pay is more than the displayed ticket price, as they don't add on their fee until the very last bit of the payment process. It's easy to get tricked into buying tickets for a certain price, and actually paying more then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I dont think there is much that can be done to get the money back but you will be ok to use them with someone elses name on them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dragonfly! wrote: »
    but you will be ok to use them with someone elses name on them
    usually OK, depends what the gig is, even those promotors/venues threatening they will check, usually do not. If bought on credit card the name will usually appear as standard.

The OP has not said what gig it is, not sure why as it would be a big help.

In these posts I was saying I was confused why people buy from these sites at times, but it was explained it is pretty much a confidence trick/scam
    rubadub wrote: »
    Anybody know what the deal/scam is with seatwave prices.

e.g. I see Liam Gallagher tickets on sale. This gig is not sold out, you can see tickets available, not sure if it was ever claimed to be sold out. And they are all the same price.

BUT on seatwave it says (tickets were sold over face)

now these people, if real, would be paying far more than that average due to fees.

e.g. cheapest on offer is €63.81, with seatwave fees this is €81.75

---now I try again that single ticket is gone, very strange that someone else bought a single ticket at 2.30 within minutes, in the morning/night on a saturday, before this was posted.
    Zardoz wrote: »
    Alot of people just type in Liam Gallagher Dublin tickets into Google and the top options returned would be Viagogo and Seatwave or Stubhub as they are paying Google to be returned as the top searches.

There is a big controversy about this
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5483607/Google-rake-millions-resale-website-viagogo.html

Google have seemingly introduced measures to counter this practice
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42961738

Viagogo make their site look like a primary seller and they pay Google to place them at the top of searches.
    Up until recently they had Official ticket seller included in the search result to mislead fans
    http://www.theticketingbusiness.com/2017/07/18/viagogos-use-word-official-scrutiny-irish-advertising-regulator/

People are basically buying tickets from the resale sites thinking that they are buying from the primary seller.
    Which? recently found that 49 per cent of people who bought tickets on sites like these thought the website was the official ticket seller.
    Its a disgusting practice and it basically allows the resale sites to print money as people are paying over the odds for events that arent even sold out .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sorry talking about ticket touting is not allowed. Viagogo is a tout site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement