Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment lenght to obtain a mortgage

Options
  • 22-04-2018 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi all, I believe there is a need to be in employment for 2 years in order to get approved for a mortgage.
    Is there a need to be with the same employer for the full 2 years or can it be with different employers?
    I changed jobs twice in the last 24 months, both were for my career progression and there was only 1 or 2 weeks between the date I left my ex employer and the date I joined my new employer, will this affect my application for a mortgage? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

We've just been through the application process with a broker and all that was mentioned was that you had to be with your current job for longer than 6 months (i.e. past probation).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's not 2 years. I'm not with my employer for 2 years and I have approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

You just need to pass probation. I was able to get my probation time reduced so I could apply sooner so I was in my current job less than 6 months when I applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 OscarBluth

I was in my job three months when we got mortgage approval, and for the previous four years I was working outside the country. I was surprised by this, but my employer had a short probation period and the bank basically said they cared I'd been in continuous employment because it spoke to employability but their only concern was having passed probation. A few different jobs in two years sounds grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

How long have you been in your current job? What kind of contract do you have? Does the job have a probation period?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭peace2804

Thank you all for your answers.
    GingerLily wrote: »
    How long have you been in your current job? What kind of contract do you have? Does the job have a probation period?

8 months in my current job and I am starting my new job in 2 weeks time, I have a permanent contract with 6 months probation period.

I shall be able to apply for a mortgage from December of this year based on all the above comments.

Thanks again for your time and help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭GIMP

We've just been through the application process with a broker and all that was mentioned was that you had to be with your current job for longer than 6 months (i.e. past probation).

Can I ask the Brokers name and address?
    Have you got offers from banks yet?

We are just trying to decide if a broker is worth it or if applying individually to banks makes more sense.

Advertisement