Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oxtails

• 22-04-2018 10:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭

Can you get them anywhere? I've had a look in a few butchers when I was buying rib eyes, but I'd be too shy to ask in case I make a fool of myself.

I'd love to try some. Are they nice? Where can you buy them if at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Can you get them anywhere? I've had a look in a few butchers when I was buying rib eyes, but I'd be too shy to ask in case I make a fool of myself.

I'd love to try some. Are they nice? Where can you buy them if at all?

Just ask, your butcher may have some in the cold room or they will order it in for you.

Cook long and slow. It is delicious and nothing like the awful soup you’d get as dried powder as a kid.

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/oxtail_stew_91956

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The butcher in Avoca, Dunboyne has them. It's a branch of James Whelan's, so you might be able to get them in one of their other shops if that isn't near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Any butcher can get them. A lot will have them already if you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes cornelscourt usually have them, in the regular meat section (though the james whelan butcher probably does too). Not sure about other smaller dunnes.

Stuck me as odd as there were loads of them and I never see them in other regular supermarkets, not in that quantity anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

For supermarkets, I've bought prepacked oxtail a few times in my local Tesco. It may not be the most popular cut of meat, but it's not all that unusual so I assume most butchers would have it. No need to worry about asking, they'll either have it or not but it's not a weird thing to request :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

i've gotten them a few times from the meat counter in Tesco dundrum. Make a yummy ragu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

When you get them make a long, low & slow stew. The cartilage & connective tissue gives an amazing flavour.

Dust with seasoned flour & brown all over quickly on a high heat. The into a large pot with carrots, celery, onion (& maybe celeriac or turnip). A few sprigs of thyme, a couple of bay leaves & good beef stock.

Maybe a glug or two of wine, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce & a good spoon of grain mustard?

Bring to a simmer & them let it tip away gently for 3 or 4 hours. Pop your spuds in the pot for the last hour to cook in the gravy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My butcher in Ranelagh sells them, the Village Butcher, if you’re near D6. Otherwise a butcher will be able to order them in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Asian supermarkets usually have them

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭twignme

Had them last week. Bought from the really great SuperValu in Loughrea and braised for 10 hours in Guinness in a slow cooker. Double joy as the dogs chomped on the bones as their own treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I've seen then in plenty of butchers & some supermarkets ( Dunnes, SuperValu), and they've already been copied up into disks.

But I remember coming back from Smithfield in the early 80s with my dad (having been at an Agricultural store) and seeing rows of oxtails, cheeks & pig's heads hanging in the window of a butcher on the corner of Benburb St.

No refrigeration in sight.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A friend of mine was house sitting for me a while ago, and left me a 6 pack of Guinness. Whilst I don't drink it, I'd certainly cook with it. Never done oxtails either. It's the perfect excuse for experimenting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

beertons wrote: »
    A friend of mine was house sitting for me a while ago, and left me a 6 pack of Guinness. Whilst I don't drink it, I'd certainly cook with it. Never done oxtails either. It's the perfect excuse for experimenting.

A beef and Guinness stew, with a mix of chuck and oxtail is my favourite stew recipe.

Ad some mushrooms and make a savage pie.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

Oxtail works well in a lot of Korean slow cooked dishes, this one for example is delicious!

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/2017/03/pressure-cooker-braised-oxtail-kkorijjim.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

circadian wrote: »
    Oxtail works well in a lot of Korean slow cooked dishes, this one for example is delicious!

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/2017/03/pressure-cooker-braised-oxtail-kkorijjim.html

That is going to the top of the list for my next gathering. Thank you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

That is going to the top of the list for my next gathering. Thank you! :D

If you're looking for Korean ingredients in Dublin, this is the place to go.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Han+Sung+Asian+Market/@53.3467025,-6.2650338,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48670e831e225af1:0x11aeba3d7c699e4e!8m2!3d53.3468074!4d-6.2650016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Just picked up an oxtail from the butcher. He had to get it for me - €4

Really looking forward to tomorrow's dinner :)

I paid 14 for 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

beertons wrote: »
    I paid 14 for 2!

Depends on the tail tbh, as I work with the undead variety of steak I can tell you some are short and some are long! :D
    Cost will depend on area too, round here nobody really wants them but Dublin is a different matter. And only one tail per animal!

Depends on the tail tbh, as I work with the undead variety of steak I can tell you some are short and some are long! :D
    Cost will depend on area too, round here nobody really wants them but Dublin is a different matter. And only one tail per animal!

One tail per animal. It's funny 'coz that's what the butcher said.

• Advertisement

Just picked up an oxtail from the butcher. He had to get it for me - €4

Really looking forward to tomorrow's dinner :)

Just started cooking - oh the anticipation - buggeration the oxtail fills the biggest casserole we have no room for veg or stock - let alone spuds:(

Thank you John Lewis for the big stockpot I bought back in the day and well done me for resisting that "Shall we get rid of this we never use it" plea.

It worked out very well and was enjoyed by everyone - I'll certainly do them again very tasty.

Worked really well and I'll definately do them again.

Few things I'd do differently:

• Work harder at trimming the fat off the oxtail
    • I used shallots because I thought they'd look nice. Waste of time. They all vroke up so an onion roughly chopped would have been as good.
    • Used baton carrots and parsnips because ... Again they vroke so carrots just chopped in half would have been better
    • Finally I'd hsve added a few peas or broad beans at the end just to give it a bit a green.

If I am doing a long & slow stew (3+ hours) with either the likes of shin beef or oxtail - I'll only add onion (possibly turnip or celeriac) at the very start with the meat. The other veg is only added an hour & 30 mins before I serve so it doesn't go to mush. I'll cut the veg in chunks, because batons don't work as you know.

My Nan would spin in her grave though, if I even thought of trimming fat from an oxtail. Think of all that lovely flavour! :)

My Nan would spin in her grave though, if I even thought of trimming fat from an oxtail. Think of all that lovely flavour! :)

Just thinking of my heart :P

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭twignme

I agree with your Nan. I always cook this the day before needed and after a night in the fridge I can scrape off the layer of fat that has gathered. It is rather a lot though!

Just thinking of my heart :P
    In fairness, my Nan is dead. But don't let that put you off - it was old age that got her in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

Polostores in Coolmine Business Park, I saw them yesterday

Advertisement