Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the JustEat.ie ads for 'cycle safety'

Options
  • 23-04-2018 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭

Is it just me?

Does anyone else find these incredibly antagonistic?

Does anyone else wonder why - if JustEat.ie were really concerned about Cyclist safety they would play into a stereotype that the driving community cast onto cyclists - and overlook what many cyclists see as the primary risks.

The ads that I've heard

- Cyclists - your hand signalling is all over the shop, here's how to do it properly; finishing with the tag line "Imagine Whats Its Like To Be A Motorist"

Well justeat.ie - I'll try to do that. I'll try to Imagine What Its Like To Be Motorist - for example the motorist just last week who undercut me, and left a 12 inch gap in his eagerness to get into the left lane so he could move about 30 yards forward in the gridlock. I challenged him on it, and his reply was "Did I hit ye? Well then whats your problem" - Yes, the problem is clearly with me, I need to put myself in his shoes and imagine what its like to be him......thanks for the advice.

- Ad number 2 - Cyclists - Open your eyes - Red Lights, Yield Signs, Zebra crossings - take notice of these things.

Well yes, I do take notice of these things. But most of my time I spend looking on the one hand behind me...... for vans trucks cars and buses trying to overtake when there's not enough room, or just not leaving enough space because whatever.......and on the other hand in front of me.....for potholes, man holes, cars parked illegally, pedestrians walking out in front, cycle lanes that lead into lamp-posts.....

Ironically - given that they dont have the distractions of mobile phones, tablets or radios, unlike motorists and pedestrians, I think its fair to argue that cyclists are the road users that pay most attention to looking around them.

I'm sure JustEat.ie will say they are saying these things for the benefit of cyclists......out of concern for cyclists.......that they are coming from a good place......

Its certainly a message that drivers, with their car radios on, will love. Of course cyclists dont have the radio on.

What do other cyclists thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

One of their delivery cyclists cut across me and other motorists at top of Christchurch as the lights turned green heading in the direction of Dame Street almost resulting him being taken out of it as he had to cross 3 rows of traffic so when I seen this cycle safety by them they had better sort out their own camp before preaching to others and stop and obey the rules of the road like I have to do when on my bike or in my car as others do here on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Is it

Ironically - given that they dont have the distractions of mobile phones, tablets or radios, unlike motorists and pedestrians, I think its fair to argue that cyclists are the road users that pay most attention to looking around them.

I've seen cyclists going no hands using their phone in traffic and in all my time driving I rarely see a cyclist doing a life saver before charging lane or turning, so they are as bad as ever other road user. I also see motorists breaking all our traffic laws so it's not just cyclists. But since the cyclists will always end up worse off they take a lot of unnecessary risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Are these ads on the radio or online? Haven't heard them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Nor I, and the radio is on here in the office from morning until evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,666 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've seen cyclists going no hands using their phone in traffic and in all my time driving I rarely see a cyclist doing a life saver before charging lane or turning, so they are as bad as ever other road user. I also see motorists breaking all our traffic laws so it's not just cyclists. But since the cyclists will always end up worse off they take a lot of unnecessary risks.

You'll have a hard job trying trying to convince me that cyclists use mobile phones as much as drivers or pedestrians. At a guess, maybe 1 cyclist in 500 has a phone in their hand. I would say for drivers in city traffic its 1 in ten.

The other - yes spot on, cyclists frequently dont indicate when changing lanes, I agree. Motorists do same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You'll have a hard job trying trying to convince me that cyclists use mobile phones as much as drivers or pedestrians. At a guess, maybe 1 cyclist in 500 has a phone in their hand. I would say for drivers in city traffic its 1 in ten.

The other - yes spot on, cyclists frequently dont indicate when changing lanes, I agree. Motorists do same.

And I think you're being very conservative in your estimate there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Mansplaining is when men explain things to women that women have experienced and the men haven't, but know all about anyway.

Carsplaining or if you prefer driversplaining is the transport equivalent. "I'm a taxi driver, and every day I see cyclists…"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,068 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Del2005 wrote: »
    I also see motorists breaking all our traffic laws so it's not just cyclists. But since the cyclists will always end up worse off they take a lot of unnecessary risks.

And yet, the vast majority of people killed on the roads are motorists, killed by motorists. Pedestrians are the next largest group, and cyclists are are small minority, about 5%.

The common denominator in 99% of road deaths is motorists.

But please do let us know which particular cyclists deaths in recent years were due to unnecessary risks by the cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just eat sponsor Dublin bikes. That’s where the ads are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Just Sponsor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

NBar wrote: »
    One of their delivery cyclists
    Just eat might die on the little hill that they are not their cyclists, they are independent contractors....

it might follow from that that they are unlikely to actually care about vru's

Advertisement