Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Perennials for Pots

Options
  • 23-04-2018 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

And suggestions on the best Perennials for pots? I have 3 Hydrangias and they come back great every year but looking for something, pot based for a patio that's best suited to irish climate. Cheers folks, Preferably something for a big pot :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What do you mean by "perennial"? Hydrangeas are technically perennial but usually described as woody shrubs.

How about Pieris 'Flaming Silver’? Pieris look great this time of year, so earlier than the Hydrangeas. And you don't have to deadhead the things (did two hours deadheading Hydrangeas this weekend, so boring!).

The RHS AGM lists are usually worth a look.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/graham-rice/shrubs-and-climbers/10-agm-shrubs-for-containers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i guess a lot of people now use just 'perennial' when technically referring to 'herbaceous perennial'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Lumen wrote: »
    How about Pieris 'Flaming Silver’? Pieris look great this time of year

I bought a Pieris this time last year and put into a pot on my patio. It's still only about a foot high but looks beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

yes sorry, not too familiar with the language but i guess i mean i want to invest to plants that will grow every year like the hydrangeas that are suitable for patio pots

Advertisement