Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does shed add value to house?

• 23-04-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Bit of a weird question.

I have a wooden shed in my back garden, with side access, that has been wired for electricity but isn’t in very good condition.

I’m currently looking at selling my home and am wondering if it is worth spending some money fixing the shed up or would I be better to just remove it and increase the garden area?

The shed is roughly about 3mx1m and needs a bit of work to fix the roof and one of the walls, which I would only consider doing if it will add value to the sale (as I won’t get much use out of it)

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,228 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If it isnt much work I would consider doing it up, is it a big garden?
    When I bought my place the shed was huge and took up far too much space (and needed some work anyway) so I got rid of it straight away and got a keter storage box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If it is in anything other than as-new condition then it is absolutely worthless.

I know if I was buying a house that a garden shed would put me off slightly, especially if it was any way large and in bad condition. Reason being is that I'd have no interest in it and dismantling and disposing of it would be another cost.

My advice would be to get rid. Anyway, timber sheds are a nuisance because they are a maintenance burden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

A block built shed would certainly make a home more attractive, particularly a wired and plumbed one. I can’t imagine a bog standard wooden shed would make any difference whatsoever.

When we bought our house there was a wooden shed in the back full of the previous owners junk that I had to get rid of. He had agreed to come back to clear it but surprise surprise he never did. If you are leaving it there I’d advise clearing it, painting it and presenting it as best you can without spending too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said, a block-built shed that's been wired up is attractive, because the hard work has already been done - new owners can do what they want with it.

A Barna, not so much. But if you have a shomera or something that just needs a lick of paint, then buyers are going to like that.

If it's 3x1, I'm guessing it's little more than a store that you've put your washer & dryer into. I'd be inclined to clean it up, give it a lick of paint - make it look like you use it rather than it being a piece of junk that a new owner will have to throw out. The best thing about wooden sheds is that you can fix them up in an hour or two with a hammer and a few nails.

On the other hand if you don't use it and don't need it, then chuck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mankyfecker

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm leaning towards dismantling but I'll give it a bit of a clear out and re-evaluate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,106 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd have thought that if there is no documentation for the electrical connection it should get flagged up during conveyancing, if not at survey time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd have thought that if there is no documentation for the electrical connection it should get flagged up during conveyancing, if not at survey time.

Scaremonger much? I got a lecky to wire up my shed as a nixer on a Saturday morning. I didn't ask nor was I given paper for it and I guarantee you that if I ever decide to sell , I won't be stuck with it because I have no paper for the sockets and light in the shed !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have a wooden shed in my back garden, with side access, that has been wired for electricity but isn’t in very good condition.
    Does it have a plug and a working light? If yes, and it's solid, consider a bit of paint on the outside.

Depending on the size of the shed and strength of the floor, a large chest freezer could be put into it (parents have a large chest freezer in their brick shed, and it's great for storing stuff).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

hawkelady wrote: »
    Scaremonger much? I got a lecky to wire up my shed as a nixer on a Saturday morning. I didn't ask nor was I given paper for it and I guarantee you that if I ever decide to sell , I won't be stuck with it because I have no paper for the sockets and light in the shed !

Not scaremongering at all, there's an electricity connection running externally.
    The surveyor will say it needs to be certified, the bank may also hold off on funds if it's flagged to them as they could see it as a potential fire risk if the cable is not the required standard and buried/protected etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How big is the garden and what is the location of the shed - 2 factors to consider when someone is looking at the garden. If the shed is taking over the garden probably best to get rid of it and say what a big garden I have, if we're talking multi acre garden then as the advice above to just do it up as a store room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Not scaremongering at all, there's an electricity connection running externally.
    The surveyor will say it needs to be certified, the bank may also hold off on funds if it's flagged to them as they could see it as a potential fire risk if the cable is not the required standard and buried/protected etc.

And if it is the proper cable and it is buried ?? Then what ?
    I agree if the shed is getting its power from an extension lead from an upstairs window of the house but in all fairness I'd imagine that 99% of homeowners aren't of the Homer Simpson type !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'd imagine that 99% of homeowners aren't of the Homer Simpson type !!

Eeek
    https://www.wthr.com/article/video-shed-explodes-because-of-faulty-wiring-gas-vapors

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

And if it is the proper cable and it is buried ?? Then what ?
    I agree if the shed is getting its power from an extension lead from an upstairs window of the house but in all fairness I'd imagine that 99% of homeowners aren't of the Homer Simpson type !!

Still needs to be certified and nixers tend not to be.

But you'd be surprised what people will settle for "for cash price"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unless its properly certified- it probably adds a negative value (that is- it may very well detract from the value of the property).
    That said- someone might love it.
    I've a sister who is contemplating demolishing a 2 room, plumbed, cinder block shed in her garden at the moment. The previous owner let it as a stand alone 2 bed apartment in the garden- however, its compliant with nothing- and in the last wind event (Oephelia) part of the roof was lost on it- despite it being otherwise sound- and a pyracantha which was all the way up to the roof- is now blocking the garden for her two kids.

If the shed is modern and in good condition. Great. Otherwise- unless you have a buyer who is specifically interested in it- its simply another cost for them (and it may impact on their ability to draw down mortgage funds etc- if it features on the survey).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Still needs to be certified and nixers tend not to be.

But you'd be surprised what people will settle for "for cash price"

Will a surveyor look for certification for every socket in the house?
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kceire wrote: »
    Will a surveyor look for certification for every socket in the house?
    No.

But they will for an obvious extensive retrofit like a wired shed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

L1011 wrote: »
    But they will for an obvious extensive retrofit like a wired shed

Its not an extensive retrofit.
    A wired shed is as simple as one cable buried in the ground or pinned to the garden wall. It can be connected to the existing socket circuit.

I've been involved in 100's of house sales and 100's of house surveys and never once that I can remember was a shed with external power a problem, never held up a sale and certainly never stopped a sale.

In theory then the surveyor can look for certification for every socket in the whole house but they don't.

Advertisement