Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction notice in a houseshare issue

Options
  • 23-04-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, so here is the situation.

Current arrangement is 3 people renting out a house, rent is paid to the estate agent (never any issues there).

A few weeks ago, an eviction notice was sent for 150 days as the landlord is looking to sell.

The search to find a new place has begun but given the current climate it's not going well... However, two of the roommates have managed to find accommodation starting in a month. If I don't find accommodation withing the month that they moved out, is there any way for me to stay a little longer without having to pay the full house rent? E.g. rent out a room as I currently do?

Looking up the info online:confused: but would really appreciate any help here!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

No. But as you're renting a room then it should be easier to get a similar arrangement.

Are you renting the rooms individually or renting the house and splitting the rent yourselves?

If you are renting individually and taking into account that the LL is looking to get the place empty he may be happy for you to continue renting just your room for another while or maybe even up until the end of the notice period.

On the other hand if you rent the full house as a group then you would be liable to pay the full rent, he may still be willing to work with you are he is not looking to re-let the place but he is under no obligation to ask for less than the full rent for the house in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭djan

At the moment there are 3 people named on the lease each having one room. We were advised that for ease of payment that we pay by one transfer each month so the two housemates transfer to me and then I transfer to EA.

Ideally, I would just continue renting my room and the rest of the house empty as I don't think that the LL would be happy to take on two other tenants when he's looking to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

djan wrote: »
    At the moment there are 3 people named on the lease each having one room. We were advised that for ease of payment that we pay by one transfer each month so the two housemates transfer to me and then I transfer to EA.

Ideally, I would just continue renting my room and the rest of the house empty as I don't think that the LL would be happy to take on two other tenants when he's looking to sell.

There's only one way to find out, contact your landlord.

Advertisement