Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donedeal ad, should this ring warning bells?

• 23-04-2018 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at a particular car ad on DD for the last couple of days deciding whether I wanted to pursue it or not. Then today I notice the same car advertised in a slightly older ad, with a different seller name and contact number. The price is also different, with the car being nearly 10% more expensive in the newer ad. All the car details are the same in both ads, but in the later and more expensive ad, the car is Greenlight verified.

So, should I steer clear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Check motortax for recent changes of ownership.

Could have been bought and flipped quick or could have an issue and the new owner wants rid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

How bout ringing the older add and pretending you didn't see the new one and just asking about the car?
    Could just that the 'older' seller sold the car and didn't take down the add and the guy who bought it is looking to make a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

wexie wrote: »
    How bout ringing the older add and pretending you didn't see the new one and just asking about the car?
    Could just that the 'older' seller sold the car and didn't take down the add and the guy who bought it is looking to make a few quid.

I checked, the car got a new owner at the end of Jan according to motortax.ie The older ad is 31 days old. Something doesn't add up

Current ad

Older ad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blastman wrote: »
    I checked, the car got a new owner at the end of Jan according to motortax.ie The older ad is 31 days old. Something doesn't add up

Current ad

Older ad

Someone bought the car to flip or its lemon. Either way the seller is most likely to be less than honest about why they are selling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Boy racer comes to mind...

Easy to insure......

Yeah right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

It is possible, new owner cant insure it after buying it.

Or new owner one of those trophy owners.
    Younger generation have a for sale add up as soon as they are driving it home.

Probably didnt get enough attention from their mothers as a baby so look to get attention from others by "Look at me new car" posts on social media every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MIGHT be of interest but there’s a red JDM 2.2 accord euro r up for similar money. Has tacky interior lighting but it struck me as cheap for one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I bought a car two years ago which was all great until I couldn't get over a speed ramp on the way into work, car back on sale within a few weeks for about 250 more than I paid , I wouldn't be put off by this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Could it be that he paid 3k and is trying to just move it on for what he paid so advertised a little more for the inevitable discount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The original owner probably swapped it for the current owner's previous car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

One was in Kildare (Naas) and the newer one is Meath so it's defo a quick turnaround.

Same number of previous owners in both ads.

It's unusual alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most likely bought to be sold on again for a profit.

He can't be making much profit at that price, based on what other Euro Rs are advertised at, though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Personally I wouldn’t buy it. The same number of owners is listed on both adds so the person selling it is already telling lies.maybe first seller didn’t get them to sign change ownership which was stupid if that’s what happened.current owner probably just bought it as a flip drove the sh1te out of it for a few weeks and now fancy’s a bit of wheeler dealer “profit”.
    I’d skip it if it were me.what other lies will they tell you if you were to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Looks like Dylan bought a Lemon from Alan and is trying to sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Um the older ad has higher mileage on it! 190,000KM = 118750 MILES

The newer ad states 114,000 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Titanucd wrote: »
    Um the older ad has higher mileage on it! 190,000KM = 118750 MILES

The newer ad states 114,000 miles

They couldn't even clock it right.

Who takes 5000 miles off a car??

Knock 50000 off it if you want to make a few quid

I think ye're talking me out of it, lads... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

you have to ring the new seller and ask for info. How much mileage how long they've had it etc.

Let us know the results

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is it easy to insure because it's a Euro-R replica rather than the real thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He can't be making much profit at that price, based on what other Euro Rs are advertised at, though.....

Depends on how much he bought it for but I presume he paid a bit less than the 3k asking price by the first seller. Might make €100/€200 on it without doing anything to the car, could easily take a hit on it too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ffs ring the first advert and get the lowdown instead of speculating. First ad is amateur seller second advert photos are from a more experienced seller, I'd say he got it for 2,500 or less, anyway , a phone call will sort this our and if it doesn't, move on .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Thats because it's not a Euro R

millington wrote: »
    Thats because it's not a Euro R

Fair point :)

Advertisement