Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Moving to US

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

jme2010 wrote: »
    Not sure what your getting at, but for a single country, nothing beats America for diverse landscape.

By America are you talking about USA only or the continent? If you are talking about the country you must be joking, Brazil is million times better and more diverse. Even Italy with its 300.000 km2 more than 30 times smaller than USA can't be compared to USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭vetinari

Your experience in the States is very dependent on your job.
    As others have mentioned there are few legal limits related to vacation, sick leave, maternity leave etc.

Some companies though will have comparable vacation and sick leave to Ireland.
    I'm based in Boston and my company does the "unlimited vacation" thing, works out well for me. Take about 25 days a year.
    I'd recommend the US as a place to live, as jme2010 mentioned it's a very diverse landscape.

You have some amazing national parks out west, there's also world class skiing there.
    You also have the likes of Florida which has excellent beaches.

In terms of recommendations, the likes of Boston, NY and California are quite expensive.
    I've head of people moving to Raleigh / Charlotte North Carolina and be very happy with it.
    It's significantly cheaper, has a better climate than Boston and also has a flight to Dublin.
    Supposed to have some decent beaches down there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

vetinari wrote: »
    Your experience in the States is very dependent on your job.
    As others have mentioned there are few legal limits related to vacation, sick leave, maternity leave etc.

Some companies though will have comparable vacation and sick leave to Ireland.
    I'm based in Boston and my company does the "unlimited vacation" thing, works out well for me. Take about 25 days a year.
    I'd recommend the US as a place to live, as jme2010 mentioned it's a very diverse landscape.

You have some amazing national parks out west, there's also world class skiing there.
    You also have the likes of Florida which has excellent beaches.

In terms of recommendations, the likes of Boston, NY and California are quite expensive.
    I've head of people moving to Raleigh / Charlotte North Carolina and be very happy with it.
    It's significantly cheaper, has a better climate than Boston and also has a flight to Dublin.
    Supposed to have some decent beaches down there as well.

I think this is very true.

I read a lot around here about how bad working conditions are in the US.

In my six years working there as an IT I found the conditions to be pretty much the same as here in Ireland, sure the holidays were less but I still got by and the money was so so much better, and the higer tax bracket entry levels so much higher, so doing extra work really paid off.

Then again I was young single and healthy and had only myself to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I’m just back from the states. One lad I met there had just moved out of San Diego, but he loved the place. I really like Santa Barbara, but it’s a town... la is gigantic. Miami could be an option. I love Chicago, but I’d say the winters are nasty. I’ve only been there in the summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,607 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Das Reich wrote: »
    By America are you talking about USA only or the continent? If you are talking about the country you must be joking, Brazil is million times better and more diverse. Even Italy with its 300.000 km2 more than 30 times smaller than USA can't be compared to USA.

I can't agree with that.

I have travelled extensively, to over 50 countries on all the inhabited continents. For me, if one can only travel one country, it would have to be the USA.

For pure diversity alone.

World class cities like New York, Boston, Chicago and all that comes with it, art galleries, museums, ethnic foods, architecture and history.

Want mountains? The Rockies from Montana to Colorado are simply world class.

Want beaches? So much choice again, Pacific ocean or Atlantic? How about the Caribbean or gulf of Mexico?

How about deserts? Utah, Arizona and California offer stunning moon like landscapes with tonnes of outdoor stuff to do.

How about gentle hills? Smokey mountains, the black hills or the Appalachian Hills.

Someone say food? As I said, NY, New Orleans, Chicago, LA are just some of the places that offers world class cuisine.

I could go on and on.

There are of course mountains or beaches or food or something else that might be better than the US.
    I think the beaches in Australia are pound for pound the best in the world. But Australia has no mountains really to speak off. OK you have the Flinders ranges, or the Blue mountains, or parts of the great dividing range like the tablelands. However, none of them compare to the Rockies and the places of interest on them, like Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons.

In terms of overall bang for buck, all in one country, there is no where like the USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

markodaly wrote: »
    I can't agree with that.

I have travelled extensively, to over 50 countries on all the inhabited continents. For me, if one can only travel one country, it would have to be the USA.

World class cities like New York, Boston, Chicago and all that comes with it, art galleries, museums, ethnic foods, architecture and history.

Want beaches? So much choice again, Pacific ocean or Atlantic? How about the Caribbean or gulf of Mexico?

How about deserts? Utah, Arizona and California offer stunning moon like landscapes with tonnes of outdoor stuff to do.

How about gentle hills? Smokey mountains, the black hills or the Appalachian Hills.

Someone say food? As I said, NY, New Orleans, Chicago, LA are just some of the places that offers world class cuisine.

I could go on and on.

There are of course mountains or beaches or food or something else that might be better than the US.
    I think the beaches in Australia are pound for pound the best in the world. But Australia has no mountains really to speak off. OK you have the Flinders ranges, or the Blue mountains, or parts of the great dividing range like the tablelands. However, none of them compare to the Rockies and the places of interest on them, like Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons.

In terms of overall bang for buck, all in one country, there is no where like the USA.

And that's why a lot of US Nationals don't have passports.

You don't have to leave the country to experience a huge range of holiday options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I’m just back from the states. One lad I met there had just moved out of San Diego, but he loved the place. I really like Santa Barbara, but it’s a town... la is gigantic. Miami could be an option. I love Chicago, but I’d say the winters are nasty. I’ve only been there in the summer...

It's a city, but a small one. I'd put it along the lines of a slightly larger version of Cork or Galway.
    Technically the SB population is only 90,000 people, however in reality it's probably at least 150,000. The City of Goleta is right beside it and a lot of folks commute back and forth. There's a big catchment area outside the city boundaries which almost doubles the size. Plus there's the University here as well that bumps up the numbers.

I'd describe it as a city with a small town feel. Source, lived here since 2014.

The downside is the housing is stupidly expensive here. It's expensive by CA standards, let alone anywhere else. Goleta gets a little cheaper but not by much.

Rents are at Dublin levels and a 3 bed 1,500 sq ft house on a small lot is going to run you the best part of $1m in SB, maybe $700k-ish in Goleta (if you get lucky).

However, despite the price, a lot of people choose to live here. It's a great place to raise a family, it's very very safe there is a bunch of stuff to do with kids. It's relatively small and easy to get around by US and CA standards. You can bike a lot of places (although you'd realistically still need a car). The weather is always fantastic with ever getting too hot. It tends to peak in the high 20's in the summer and go down to very low teens in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

markodaly wrote: »
    I can't agree with that.

I could go on and on.

USA, USA, USA !!!!!!

Thank you for making my point for me.

Advertisement