Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm in a similar place, have just upgraded to Ultegra 11 speed and am looking at throwing on a really good set of wheels. cost wise it's a lot cheaper than going for a complete new bike next year and it should look great to boot (hopefully!).

I want a really good all rounder, that also looks good.

right now I'm leaning towards the Pro Carbon Exalith at €981 on bike-discount.de

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Speaking from my own experience, a set of Shimano C50s would be a great upgrade if you can find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I saw this on CRC and thought it was a good deal
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/mavic-ksyrium-pro-haute-route-tubular-wheelset/rp-prod165730
    Mavic Ksyrium Pro Haute Route Tubular Wheelset, under the 1k budget

thanks, I'll be sticking to clinchers only anyway!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's hard to give advice unless you say what you're not happy about with your current wheels and what you want the new ones for.

Carbones like those ones are known to be sturdy, aero, but a bit heavy. I'd buy them if I was racing, looking for something aero, that could take punishment and wasn't a tub.

• Advertisement

fair point.

I'm currently on Zondas, I'm looking for something more aero that still climbs pretty well. from what I can find they come in at a similar weight to Zondas so relatively speaking won't hamper me there.
    I don't race so this is purely me treating myself to something that makes my ride that bit nicer / faster and also looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Cionn wrote: »
    I saw this on CRC and thought it was a good deal
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/mavic-ksyrium-pro-haute-route-tubular-wheelset/rp-prod165730
    Mavic Ksyrium Pro Haute Route Tubular Wheelset, under the 1k budget

I've a set of theae, unreal wheelset.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you're not racing, stay on the Zondas. That's what I have on my summer bike.

Aero wheels provide exponential benefit and that only really becomes noticeable at 40kph+. So unless you're racing, you're getting none of the benefits and all of the downsides (difficulty handling in high winds).

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Aero wheels provide exponential benefit and that only really becomes noticeable at 40kph+. So unless you're racing, you're getting none of the benefits and all of the downsides (difficulty handling in high winds).

Dont forget they make your bike look cool as f**k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If you're not racing, stay on the Zondas. That's what I have on my summer bike.

Yes but when you get out of the saddle and accelerate, they make a nice "woosh,woosh" sound! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement