Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLARS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

acequion wrote: »
    Urgent question here guys! In our school there will be four teachers at the SLAR, each with 4 samples of students' work. Our facilitator has informed us that we will all have to read the 16 pieces in advance to enable proper discussion on each at the meeting.

Now I have alarm bells going off. At no point before all this got in did I hear of teachers having to prepare in advance for the SLAR,apart from the facilitator who is allowed time for this. I was under the impression that the work of the SLAR was done in the SLAR.

Can anybody enlighten me,please?

We did ours in December and each teacher submitted 4 pieces of student work from their collection of writing. At the SLAR meeting each teacher gave a brief introduction to a text from one of their students, we then spent a couple of minutes reading the text, shared the Descriptor we felt matched the text and had a brief discussion before reaching a consensus. The only thing teachers are required to do before the SLAR is assess their own students, give provisional Descriptors and supply some samples to the chosen facilitator.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Urgent question here guys! In our school there will be four teachers at the SLAR, each with 4 samples of students' work. Our facilitator has informed us that we will all have to read the 16 pieces in advance to enable proper discussion on each at the meeting.

Now I have alarm bells going off. At no point before all this got in did I hear of teachers having to prepare in advance for the SLAR,apart from the facilitator who is allowed time for this. I was under the impression that the work of the SLAR was done in the SLAR.

Can anybody enlighten me,please?

Absolutely wrong. Facilitator gets 3 periods off to prepare for SLAR. Should have asked each teacher for a sample corresponding to each descriptor in advance. Facilitator then selects 5-6 samples which will be discussed at slar. These should be photocopied and given to teachers at meeting only, not in advance. Teacher of sample selected makes brief introduction, teachers giving about 10 mins to read sample and then discussion happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Only 8 pieces are supposed to be discussed and there should be no need to read them before it.

Up to the facilitator to pick the weakest and strongest in each descriptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Could be a way to save time and be out early.

If it were me I'd take a quick look and grade each sample, then jot down a note with reasons. it's usually a single continuous piece of work so really yould get a general impression with a quick skim. At this stage of the game I could give an accurate grade band by skimming through an entire exam paper in 30 seconds.
    It's only 4 bands and not a specific % too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Bit of kerfuffle over when slars take place.

Meant to be half in half out?

We all got a text from our steward today saying TEACHERS ARE NOT OBLIGED TO ATTEND ANY SLAR WHICH IS TIMETABLED COMPLETELY OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL HOURS.

taken from an asti document

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Could be a way to save time and be out early.

If it were me I'd take a quick look and grade each sample, then jot down a note with reasons. it's usually a single continuous piece of work so really yould get a general impression with a quick skim. At this stage of the game I could give an accurate grade band by skimming through an entire exam paper in 30 seconds.
    It's only 4 bands and not a specific % too.

We all know there's no such thing as a "quick look." If this kind of thing gets established it will become the norm to not only have to do a SLAR but also a preparatory SLAR. Which is lunacy! Also, anybody who teaches English knows there's nothing in any way "quick" about assessing in that subject.

No. I fully agree with the others. I've written to the union to get clarification on it. Let's at least contain the madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

We all got a text from our steward today saying TEACHERS ARE NOT OBLIGED TO ATTEND ANY SLAR WHICH IS TIMETABLED COMPLETELY OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL HOURS.

Interesting, which document is that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Icsics wrote: »
    Interesting, which document is that from?

Sent to school stewards yesterday. Does it amount to a directive though? Doesn't look like it.

Sent to school stewards yesterday. Does it amount to a directive though? Doesn't look like it.

No, but better than nothing! I think there would be much more said about this if it involved all teachers, but as it is the precedent will be set

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Clearly states that some slars may be partially outside tuition hours. Taken from JUNIOR CYCLE REFORM
    APPENDIX TO JOINT STATEMENT ON PRINCIPLES AND IMPLEMENTATION, PROFESSIONAL TIME TO SUPPORT IMPLEMENTATION
    08 JULY 2015
    9.7. The 40 minute professional time period provided within timetable is available to teachers on the basis that they will use this time flexibly including bundling time periods and carrying forward time to facilitate professional collaboration. Teachers may also use the time periods for individual planning, feedback or reporting activities relating to Junior Cycle. In particular, time periods will need to be bundled to facilitate SLAR meetings. Since professional collaboration meetings can only be held when the relevant subject teachers can be present, a limited number of meetings may need to draw on teachers’ bundled time to run beyond normal school tuition hours for some of the duration of the meeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

A further clarification relating to SLAR meetings was provided by the department of Education and Skills to ASTI in December 2015. It stated as follows:

“The Department confirms that any attempt to impose the organisation of SLAR meetings entirely outside school hours would contravene the agreement. The intention is that SLAR meetings will be scheduled to commence within the timetable, involving the inclusion of a normal timetabled period. However, given the required duration [approximately two hours per meeting], flexibility to run beyond the normal school day for some of the duration of the meeting is required. ”

ASTI also got a further clarification form the dept a couple of years ago, so this should put to bed any notion that the entire meeting should happen outside school hours.

A further clarification relating to SLAR meetings was provided by the department of Education and Skills to ASTI in December 2015. It stated as follows:

“The Department confirms that any attempt to impose the organisation of SLAR meetings entirely outside school hours would contravene the agreement. The intention is that SLAR meetings will be scheduled to commence within the timetable, involving the inclusion of a normal timetabled period. However, given the required duration [approximately two hours per meeting], flexibility to run beyond the normal school day for some of the duration of the meeting is required. ”

ASTI also got a further clarification form the dept a couple of years ago, so this should put to bed any notion that the entire meeting should happen outside school hours.

Absolutely. The emboldened bit above is all the clarification that's required.

an informal half in half out agreement forthcoming perhaps?

Informal agreements wouldn't work in most schools I know.

We all know there's no such thing as a "quick look." If this kind of thing gets established it will become the norm to not only have to do a SLAR but also a preparatory SLAR. Which is lunacy! Also, anybody who teaches English knows there's nothing in any way "quick" about assessing in that subject.

No. I fully agree with the others. I've written to the union to get clarification on it. Let's at least contain the madness!

Fair enough, you don't 'have to' going by juniorcycle.ie
    if you've say 4 teachers and 10 mins each script to peruse, grade, discuss and concur then id guess you have a very efficient English department. Id imagine the English department in our school deliberating and arguing for ages on one paper alone (they like to talk).
    I'd be happy to prep before hand then get in and get out.
    You could unbundle some of your 40min weekly acequion!

The SLARS topic is a hot one in our staff room, made hotter by the people with an eye on the new posts so would do anything Mgt suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭amacca

The question then arises as to what school hours are.....are they clearly defined?

eg: OH's school finishes some days at 4:25 and other days at 3:45...she was told by management start SLAR at 3:45 on the days school finishes at 3:45 as this is within school time/hours..........Management are effectively saying school hours runs up to 4:25 its just that classes are finished at 3:45 some days

square that circle as they say.......A bit of a management fast one?

School hours is when the kids are timetabled to be in.

Fair enough, you don't 'have to' going by juniorcycle.ie
    if you've say 4 teachers and 10 mins each script to peruse, grade, discuss and concur then id guess you have a very efficient English department. Id imagine the English department in our school deliberating and arguing for ages on one paper alone (they like to talk).
    I'd be happy to prep before hand then get in and get out.
    You could unbundle some of your 40min weekly acequion!

We're all entitled to see things differently but personally the very last thing I need in my life is more prep! That's why I don't mind the official correcting for the SEC. You turn up, do the inservice on site and then off with your correcting. No advance prep required and you're paid for your work. Oh for a job without all the prep!

Anyway, rant aside, this whole thing is turning into the shambles that many of us predicted. Of course there isn't enough time at the SLAR meeting to do justice to all the samples, but my answer to that would be: 1] Not all samples have to be discussed in the meeting,that's the official line and 2] If there's not enough time, well there's not enough time. We do not pick up the slack by doing it in our own time. We do the best we can in the allotted SLAR time and if it's not good enough, it's not good enough.

We warned about this,we took the pain,were criticised and penalised. Now that the DES basically won,their problem if it's not done well,not ours.

And as for this 40 mins professional time, come on!! We all know that it's completely inadequate compensation in a job that is now almost non stop.

amacca wrote: »
    The question then arises as to what school hours are.....are they clearly defined?

eg: OH's school finishes some days at 4:25 and other days at 3:45...she was told by management start SLAR at 3:45 on the days school finishes at 3:45 as this is within school time/hours..........Management are effectively saying school hours runs up to 4:25 its just that classes are finished at 3:45 some days

square that circle as they say.......A bit of a management fast one?

Get clarification from union about when school day ends.

A lot of schools have sub hours left over towards the end of the year which have to be used up. I'm sure there'd be a few PME'S delighted to get the work.

• Advertisement

school hours is hours the school is open for tuition.

why would after the final bell still count as school hours?!

school hours is hours the school is open for tuition.

why would after the final bell still count as school hours?!

Well that's one perspective, but don't forget we're technically still working in June and Easter holidays... apparently.

Ballot on SLARS coming in the Autumn folks

Icsics wrote: »
    Ballot on SLARS coming in the Autumn folks

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Another slant on the whole SLARS thing.
    Our summer exam timetable went up during the week with all subjects timetabled for in house summer exams - even those that did SLARS- apparently teachers of those subjects are okay with it and it was "agreed " within those departments
    Is it setting a precedent for other subjects yet to come on stream? Does it not make a mockery of directives? Asti school if that's relevant.

Link?

No link, motion at CEC today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

It was never stated in stone that CBAs could replace in-house exams. It was offered as an option. I’d still prefer to give mine a maths exam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

doc_17 wrote: »
    It was never stated in stone that CBAs could replace in-house exams. It was offered as an option. I’d still prefer to give mine a maths exam

Me too!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Science is going from 65% terminal exam to 90% and the suggestion is to remove exam practice? I can't justify it.

• Advertisement

Another slant on the whole SLARS thing.
    Our summer exam timetable went up during the week with all subjects timetabled for in house summer exams - even those that did SLARS- apparently teachers of those subjects are okay with it and it was "agreed " within those departments
    Is it setting a precedent for other subjects yet to come on stream? Does it not make a mockery of directives? Asti school if that's relevant.

Of course it makes a mockery of directives!

It was agreed with the DES that a CBA could replace a house exam to avoid over assessment and also to contain somewhat the extra workload on the teacher.

Now no disrespect to Maths teachers, but correcting a Maths test is not quite as top heavy as correcting an English one.

But, would I prefer a traditional summer test to a bullshyt CBA? Absolutely.

Am I prepared to do both if I don't have to? No I'm not.

Am I prepared to kill myself with over work to try to save the education system that the Irish Govt couldn't give a toss about in real terms? No I most certainly am not.

How many more times must I remind people that we fought a long, hard campaign and took considerable pain to keep this farce out. But it's in now.

Are teachers really such grade A doormats that they'll now pick up the slack??

Advertisement